• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Positively beautiful verdict thread

I think the result would have been the same without the sending off tbh

Donk man of the match, for me. He was everywhere. One of the first names on the teamsheet for me - and that’s a massive compliment considering he’s been in and out up to now.
If Donk is reading the forum today, I would imagine getting the Jinkster’s love is worth more than anything he’s won up until now.

Incredibly some ex pros and managers don’t think it was red last night. Pulis on soccer Saturday “the games gone soft” “he wins the ball” Tony Cascerino on Talksport “he makes a genuine attempt to play the ball” ok all irrelevant in the rules currently. Simple question did the tackle endanger the safety of the opponent? If the answers yes then it’s red intent and ball winning are irrelevant. Prove intent to start with.

Boly’s sending off against Man City was pretty much the same as that and we all were shouting how it was ‘never a red card’ though.

Slide tackling is basically outlawed now if there’s any chance you’re going to make contact with the opposition player, regardless of what happens to the ball

Boly’s sending off against Man City was pretty much the same as that and we all were shouting how it was ‘never a red card’ though.

Slide tackling is basically outlawed now if there’s any chance you’re going to make contact with the opposition player, regardless of what happens to the ball
Personally I thought both were red last nights tackle was more out of control and done at quicker pace. People get confused between what they thinks right and what the rules actually state.

Incredibly some ex pros and managers don’t think it was red last night. Pulis on soccer Saturday “the games gone soft” “he wins the ball” Tony Cascerino on Talksport “he makes a genuine attempt to play the ball” ok all irrelevant in the rules currently. Simple question did the tackle endanger the safety of the opponent? If the answers yes then it’s red intent and ball winning are irrelevant. Prove intent to start with.
I think a lot of pundits fail to understand the laws/rules and just say what they think it should be. Personally I don't think tackles like last night's should be a red, but as the game is meant to be ref'd now they are

You have to remember that in 'real time' Atkinson didn't even think it was a foul, and had to be guided by VAR.

Personally, I thought Millivovavitch was unlucky, and the interpretation of the Law was harsh.

Consistency is the key for me, as with all aspects of VAR.

I think a lot of it stems back to the attitude of ' back in my day. men were men' and so on and so forth, without realising the world has moved on

There was no question in my mind once the replay was shown, with the modern interpretation of laws, don't see how it could have been anything other than a red. Yes he got the ball but he was out of control, studs well up. Don't think there was any intent but that doesn't matter any more......if there had been intent it would have deserved a firing squad never mind a sending off

Finally got to view some of the highlights, though that doesn't give a full flavour of the game.

Mitrovic was a red without doubt - intent is irrelevant, he went in with a straight leg & studs showing. Endangerment of his opponent should give the Ref no room for manouvre. Highlights didn't show any of Zaha's activities, but pics I have seen & he was a lucky boy not to get the same outcome.

Ait Nouri's finish is sublime - if he can give us an attacking point on that side it will be worth whatever he has (or will) cost us.

It was a blatant red. Its only the aging dinosaur ex players who don't understand the laws of the game nowadays.

My MOTM personally was a joint one between Podence and Neves.

It was a blatant red. Its only the aging dinosaur ex players who don't understand the laws of the game nowadays.

My MOTM personally was a joint one between Podence and Neves.
What makes this game stand out from so many of our recent performances is that there are genuinely 5 or 6 players who could stake justifiable claims for MOTM. Can't remember the last time I felt that way.

As regards the sending off. What would have happened if Palace had substituted off Milivojevic while Moutinho was getting treatment but before Atkinson had been asked to review the foul? I assume the var official would have told Atkinson not to allow the substitution, but what if that didn't happen for some reason?

Semedo's defending is fine for what we ask. We have two CBs currently who are excellent at cutting out crosses into the box and one who is very good at it. We rely on them to do that but not to a fault.

Semedo's defending is fine for what we ask. We have two CBs currently who are excellent at cutting out crosses into the box and one who is very good at it. We rely on them to do that but not to a fault.
Why rely on the CB’s when you can try to cut crosses out even further out? Not sure why you wouldn’t try to improve the defensive side of his game.

Because then we're asking Semedo to sacrifice some of his forward positioning.

It's the difference between playing a 3-4-3 and a 5-2-3.

it was a clear red card for me for Milivojevic, dont think he meant it, he went for the ball but with that force and pace and almost broke Moutinhos leg in the process, it had to be red

As regards the sending off. What would have happened if Palace had substituted off Milivojevic while Moutinho was getting treatment but before Atkinson had been asked to review the foul? I assume the var official would have told Atkinson not to allow the substitution, but what if that didn't happen for some reason?
They would send the sub off but Milivojevic would get the suspension.

Back