• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Premier League: Relegation Race

Relegation can’t be ignored considering current league form especially if it doesn’t improve soon.
However we still have a very large buffer to the bottom 3 and we should have more than enough to see us safe with time to spare.
I’ll never say never I remember thinking the same around January 2013.
We aren’t getting battered in matches just losing by very fine margins.

Just for context, this was the game played on the 19th Jan 2013. If you were saying never at this stage you would have been in the minority

Just for context, this was the game played on the 19th Jan 2013. If you were saying never at this stage you would have been in the minority
Of course the difference being the owners and the management so this story isn’t relevant or any portent of doom.

That side was going down by January, it's why Stale was binned, we just fucked up the replacement spectacularly. I posted to show there aren't comparisons between JD suggesting never say never then and now

Yeah that's the game I mentioned on page 2. He bought O'Hara on and played him deeper than Karl Henry and Kevin Foley in midfield! We are no where near that, but I have mild concerns about the quality of our defence. Which is currently looking very Bassong quality.

1) We were way closer to relegation then than we are now
2) We were playing far worse on a consistent basis than we are now (yes, Friday was awful, but over the last 10 games we have played well at points, we basically never played well then)
3) We had hardly any good players anywhere on the pitch, the Mick era players were pretty much all finished, only Sako was a hit from our 2012 signings
4) Far easier for crappy Championship sides to pick up points and go overtaking teams than it is in the Premier League, as no-one is that good
5) We'd just appointed the worst manager in the whole of British football who after less than a week you could tell was a complete moron

A couple of wins and this thread will be dead and buried. ( i hope ). But where is the next win coming from ? We are capable of pulling one out of the hat, its just that i cant see it at the moment.

This team only needs 15 mins of getting its shit together in a match and they can turn over most teams. It'll probably come when we least expect it, but it'll come. I reckon WJ is going to make a big difference

You say that but it's not like we never looked capable of beating Spurs, Brighton or West Brom. I mean if you look at all three games objectively, it's hard to believe we didn't win at least one of them, and they're all within the last month.

In the post-Arsenal run I would say that the genuinely poor stuff (in an overall context, the defending generally has been well below our normal standards) was Liverpool after we went 2-0 down (realistically could have played as well as we liked and got nothing from that position), all the Burnley game, second half at Brighton (still should have won at the end) and the final 80 minutes vs Chorley (still won though).

A couple of wins and this thread will be dead and buried. ( i hope ). But where is the next win coming from ? We are capable of pulling one out of the hat, its just that i cant see it at the moment.
I genuinely can’t see where you’re coming from.

We’ve just signed a new striker that looks to have solved the problem we had.

Palace have looked terrible against us and we’ve beat them twice and have them next Saturday. We then have Soton, Leeds and Newcastle after Leicester and Arsenal.

I’d be disappointed if we didn’t pick up 3 wins from the next 7 games.

I hope we do Johnny, the last two seasons have been great, best since the early seventies, i dont want to see championship football or any lower at molinuex again though.

I get why this thread is here, but if you look at this season it is a perfect storm of everything you could have never predicted. A virus that has kept fans away from the grounds for 10 months, no pre season, games coming thick and fast without stopping, our normal injury less squad decimated by them, including our main man up front with a once in a lifetime injury. It's knocked this team for six. This squad is based on the team bonding. With themselves, and the fans. They have lost all of that due to this pandemic. I just read a very interesting article on Rui Pedro Silva and he explains the squad struggles due to the pandemic. It's a very big part of why i think they don't look a team at the moment, and understandably so.

I just read a very interesting article on Rui Pedro Silva and he explains the squad struggles due to the pandemic. It's a very big part of why i think they don't look a team at the moment, and understandably so.
Link?

Just needs 1 game where we win (even if we don't deserve it) & there are those that that will happen in.

We will have enough albeit not as many as the last 2 years - trying to make a transition in a weird season with no real gap possibly wasn't the correct way to go.

It's in Portuguese, but google translate works good. It's a bit slow unless you copy and paste the whole article in one rather than each section like i did.

We have half a season now to put things onto a better path. WJ will really help with that, as will the possibility of a return for Jonny at some point. I'm very much looking forward to playing Villa and WBA again.

P
It's in Portuguese, but google translate works good. It's a bit slow unless you copy and paste the whole article in one rather than each section like i did.
thanks mate, that’s a really good article - I wonder why they’ve not released it in English.

Back