• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

QPR 1 - 1 Wolves what a bag of shit verdict thread

BKqQGYjCAAAmQLE.jpg

Half our first team is injured...surely we can't do much more than what we did...

Where can you log technical errors about this site? I have the wolves forum url correct, but I keep seeming to get taken to the Mol Mix forums judging by what I am reading.

I think the criticism is quite measured. The only opposing view is boiling back down to "we didn't lose" or "it could be worse" like the reviews of the games over Christmas (or some strange standpoint where proper fans don't criticise the team or shouldn't take it so much to heart, I'm lost on that one tbh). As I see it today, all of the following was negative:

- We played next to no football
- This was compounded by having Alfie as an isolated, lone striker, quite obviously he is not suited to that style of "service"
- That left hand side is an absolute disaster. Two one footed players out of position, one severely out of form (and has been for months) and one unfit for purpose at this level
- Two of the central midfield three cannot control or pass a ball
- The formation lends itself to long periods of zero threat, there is no pattern of attacking play when we set up in this fashion
- We conceded yet another soft goal
- Once more, this was a goal where we were undone by a simple cross/set piece, one of the few things you would expect our tugboat centre halves to be able to deal with
- Once more, this was a goal where our esteemed goalkeeper really should be doing better
- The use of subs was non-existent, with options on there to change our approach or test QPR in a different way
- We settled all too easily for a point when the game was patently there for the taking
- We nearly chucked away our point with some flat footed, non-responsive defending near the end

Now that is a fucking lot of negatives for 90 minutes. And bear in mind we were the better side for an hour of the game.

I thought we played some ok stuff in the second half, and by ok I do mean ok! Not great bit not diabolical. I agree it's not a performance we should put in but it's not even close to the worst I have seen a Wolves team perform.

I thought Doherty was the pick of our back four, but Eel was appallingly positioned for the QPR goal. He should have been goal side and attacking the ball, and his distribution is appalling at times.

ALF is simply not very good imo. There's a reason he is so far down the pecking order and has barely scored in years - and it's not just a bad spell at Cardiff or not being suited to playing the lone striker role. I hope he's maybe just not match sharp and can prove me wrong though.

I think Edwards will be out for at least a month, but I'm not in the medical profession so is a gut feeling.

Whether Alfie is good enough or not - I think he is to a point, but not in this system and not with the way we've played all season - it isn't complicated stuff to see that he at 5'9'' is not going to thrive on hoofs forward against 6'2'' Nedum Onuoha and 6'3'' Grant Hall! Unsurprisingly he didn't win any of those balls forward. Polter is a useless lump (add him to the list of terrible players to score against us down the years) but given his size you could see QPR's logic in playing that kind of football, even if it is AIDS for the eyes. What was our reasoning? What could we possibly have hoped to gain from that? Just gifting possession away constantly, failing to build any kind of attacks, it's also why Van La Parra only got in the game fleetingly in the first half. We did stop doing it quite so much in the second half, he quite clearly had the beating of Konchesky and for once actually played on that so I hope to see more of the same from him.

It's a mark of a manager who doesn't really know what he's doing any more, they get very muddled when they lose the plot. It's also partly down to us no longer using the reasonably technically able central midfielders we have in Price/Evans and instead picking Edwards and Coady whose basic footballing skills belong in a pub league, they are both appalling. I cannot believe Coady was scouted properly and we still chose to spend £2m on him, from what he's shown in a Wolves shirt a tenth of that would have been pushing it. I said during the match thread that Darren Potter was and still is better than him and I stand by that. A bloke who cost about £250k nearly a decade ago, has no pace or real physical attributes, very little goal threat, who largely flopped here, who has never really been up to scratch at this level, he is better than our major summer signing.

Maybe the scouting report on Coady was: "Scored a goal against us and they'll sell him."

Verdicts on performances at the moment are the same most weeks. OK in parts, too many players not quite good enough and we don't have the personnel to play the Kenny way.
It all comes back to needing 2 or 3 players in key areas, particularly a striker who can do the hold up role we need (or not replacing the departed and I hired if you prefer).
Much of the frustration is due to how close we were to being real automatic promotion contenders at the end of last season. It's all been thrown away and were now also rans.

Whether Alfie is good enough or not - I think he is to a point, but not in this system and not with the way we've played all season - it isn't complicated stuff to see that he at 5'9'' is not going to thrive on hoofs forward against 6'2'' Nedum Onuoha and 6'3'' Grant Hall! Unsurprisingly he didn't win any of those balls forward. Polter is a useless lump (add him to the list of terrible players to score against us down the years) but given his size you could see QPR's logic in playing that kind of football, even if it is AIDS for the eyes. What was our reasoning? What could we possibly have hoped to gain from that? Just gifting possession away constantly, failing to build any kind of attacks, it's also why Van La Parra only got in the game fleetingly in the first half. We did stop doing it quite so much in the second half, he quite clearly had the beating of Konchesky and for once actually played on that so I hope to see more of the same from him.

We agree on this Dan! I think it could be due to our centre halves having the passing ability of a lump of wood. This makes it hard to do anything other than hoof it.

It's a sign of the piss poor recruitment that we sold the only CB who could pass a ball 5-10 yards and hope the current lumps were able to perform.

I don't think the way we play is a sign KJ doesn't know what he's doing and he has lost the plot. He knows exactly and he is doing. His plan isn't for ALF to win the ball, it's for the midfield to pick up the seconds. Standard percentage football employed by poor football teams.

Verdicts on performances at the moment are the same most weeks. OK in parts, too many players not quite good enough and we don't have the personnel to play the Kenny way.
It all comes back to needing 2 or 3 players in key areas, particularly a striker who can do the hold up role we need (or not replacing the departed and I hired if you prefer).
Much of the frustration is due to how close we were to being real automatic promotion contenders at the end of last season. It's all been thrown away and were now also rans.

Good post!

I don't think the way we play is a sign KJ doesn't know what he's doing and he has lost the plot. He knows exactly and he is doing. His plan isn't for ALF to win the ball, it's for the midfield to pick up the seconds. Standard percentage football employed by poor football teams.

And it works. The less time the ball spends in our defensive third (especially out wide) the better. No sign of a centre half or LB yet .... :wife:

It's a mark of a manager who doesn't really know what he's doing any more, they get very muddled when they lose the plot. It's also partly down to us no longer using the reasonably technically able central midfielders we have in Price/Evans and instead picking Edwards and Coady whose basic footballing skills belong in a pub league, they are both appalling. I cannot believe Coady was scouted properly and we still chose to spend £2m on him, from what he's shown in a Wolves shirt a tenth of that would have been pushing it. I said during the match thread that Darren Potter was and still is better than him and I stand by that. A bloke who cost about £250k nearly a decade ago, has no pace or real physical attributes, very little goal threat, who largely flopped here, who has never really been up to scratch at this level, he is better than our major summer signing.

Good post, but can you knock it off with this 'AIDS for eyes' shit you use. I've lost friends to AIDS and its really not a nice thing to joke about.

I don't know why Kenny's getting pelters for not setting the team up to attack, when both Graham and Zyro were unavailable. The mood in the prediction thread (myself included) was that given our injury problems, whatever team we put out would look crap and second rate. And as usual, we grind out a result, but the knives are still out.

I don't know why Kenny's getting pelters for not setting the team up to attack, when both Graham and Zyro were unavailable. The mood in the prediction thread (myself included) was that given our injury problems, whatever team we put out would look crap and second rate. And as usual, we grind out a result, but the knives are still out.
Problem is even when those players were fit, we were still crap and grinding a result.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Problem is even when those players were fit, we were still crap and grinding a result.

Quite, we were crap to watch for about the 20th time out of 28 this season. Unsurprisingly it is wearing very thin. Not that there is any excuse to play that style of football anyway in this division, no-one made him pick that midfield for instance.

Look at the second half when we did look to attack a little, we actually looked threatening and with a bit of confidence and maybe the addition of a player or 2 off the bench should have won. However we didn't because the team aren't used to attacking with our negative manager and we don't know how to by the looks of it now. Also we were on top and could have won the game but Edwards gets injured and we bring on Saville who didn't get really get into the game and looked like he had been told to sit deep with McDonald.

The mood is that we will look crap and second rate what ever the team but that doesn't have to be the case and QPR were more crap than us and were there to beat but we didn't beat them. So yeah Well done KJ on getting a point away against a team who are shitter than us.

Back