• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Rangers

Just to say - I think super Stennie are fucking great. Never going to get within a reindeer's bellow of any success, but I love that club. All born from them always being number 55 (and after the coupon expansion number 58) on the pools.

As a youngster I always had a soft spot for Third Lanark. Sadly they are no more.

Queen's Park are the greatest Scottish club of them all - FACKT.

You haven't lived until you've been to a home game at Hampden...

Imagine playing at a ground like that in front of a few hundred people.

Their old Irn Bru kit was epic. I've got a lot of love for Queen's Park, they've got a fantastic history and great traditions which they still uphold to this day. Love the home kit as well, really classy when done right.

Also got a bit of a soft spot for Airdrieonians, just for the name and classic kit.

The lads have done well in giving most of the reasons for their dominance whilst not mentioning, underlying it all and going back to both clubs formation, is that they have played off racism and sectarianism through their history to form a hatred of each other, which has swelled their ranks, nothing attracts people to a cause like hatred and feeling they are under siege from the other tribe (not all fans of course). There has been some efforts in the last 20 years to move away from it, but it hasn't got very far.

Due to that, it is an umbilical cord to keep generations of families following the two clubs and goes further then football. Put it this way you will never feel comfortable on a night out in Glasgow because you can be guaranteed somewhere along the night some cunt will ask you "are you Celtic or Rangers?"

At one time Queens Park were the dominant team in Scotland put soon got engulfed by the rise of the old firm, and it is a credit that they still survive.

Forget Paisley, you can go to some God awful places like Banff and a good 60-70% of football supporters there will follow one of the Old Firm.

I've lived in the central belt of Scotland for 15 years and I can honestly tell you that apart from actually going to the grounds and sitting next to the poor bastards, I have NEVER met a fan of Stirling Albion, Alloa Athletic, Stenhousemuir (Paddy aside) or East Stirlingshire. I know 2 Falkirk fans and one of them is a Wolves fan who randomly picked Falkirk as his second team.

In Stirling where I used to work there are two main council estates, The Raploch and The Cornton. Cornton is mainly Rangers and Raploch is Celtic. Even where my parents live in Dunblane which is a quaint little commuters town, there are three main pubs; the Tappit Hen which is a whiskey/real ale pub (cracking boozer actually), the Village Inn (Celtic) and the Dunblane Hotel (Rangers).

The only places where you'll find more football supporters supporting their local team rather than the Old Firm are Edinburgh, Dundee and Aberdeen and even then it's a close run thing.

My second team are Caley Thistle as my mums family are all from Inverness, my great grandmother grew up in a cottage on the shore of Loch Ness, literally. I love it up there. My relations live on the hill overlooking the stadium. It's right beside a big firth and it gets as cold and blowy as an Arctic winter.
It's grim as fuck in winter, but Inverness is a beautiful little town. The pubs are all cosy. It's cheap. People are nice etc.

I'm pleased to see Caley doing so well these past few years, Terry Butcher did a good job.

Mt grandfather was born in Inverness (I guess I may be ScotWenglish).

The lads have done well in giving most of the reasons for their dominance whilst not mentioning, underlying it all and going back to both clubs formation, is that they have played off racism and sectarianism through their history to form a hatred of each other, which has swelled their ranks, nothing attracts people to a cause like hatred and feeling they are under siege from the other tribe (not all fans of course). There has been some efforts in the last 20 years to move away from it, but it hasn't got very far.

Due to that, it is an umbilical cord to keep generations of families following the two clubs and goes further then football. Put it this way you will never feel comfortable on a night out in Glasgow because you can be guaranteed somewhere along the night some cunt will ask you "are you Celtic or Rangers?"

At one time Queens Park were the dominant team in Scotland put soon got engulfed by the rise of the old firm, and it is a credit that they still survive.

Can I just say that I've never been asked that question once in hundreds of nights out in Glasgow. Glaswegians are so friendly, it's the best city in the world IMO, you'll never have a better night out than a Glasgow Fair.

My second team are Caley Thistle as my mums family are all from Inverness, my great grandmother grew up in a cottage on the shore of Loch Ness, literally. I love it up there. My relations live on the hill overlooking the stadium. It's right beside a big firth and it gets as cold and blowy as an Arctic winter.
It's grim as fuck in winter, but Inverness is a beautiful little town. The pubs are all cosy. It's cheap. People are nice etc.

I'm pleased to see Caley doing so well these past few years, Terry Butcher did a good job.

Inverness is one of those towns that has its own distinctive smell (when there aren't gale force winds). Fish, salt, Scotch pies and seagull shit. A heady mixture.

On the subject of Scottish football I've just witnessed quite possibly the most tinpot thing I've ever seen. The Scottish Cup quarter final between Queen of the South and Falkirk was shown live on BBC 2 Scotland but kicked off at 19:35 (with no time for any analysis/post match interviews) so that Gardeners World could start as planned at 21:30. :icon_lol:

Rangers have suspended three members of their board of directors pending an internal investigation. I wonder what this is all about?

Rangers have suspended three members of their board of directors pending an internal investigation. I wonder what this is all about?

I presume they are the Mike Ashley crew?

So they will be suspended as they want them gone and out of the club.

EDIT: It is. They got "new contracts" just before the EGM stuff that makes it difficult for them to be fired. So they are being investigated for dodgy stuff like that. Its all just part of the process to remove them have any influence over Rangers.

I presume they are the Mike Ashley crew?

So they will be suspended as they want them gone and out of the club.

They were removed last week weren't they?

Touch and go if he will pass the owners test due to his conviction in South Africa.

They need to spend the next few months clearing up the mess that has been made since they went pop. Start again next season and give Stuart McCall the job to get them back in the Prem.

Rangers have asked McCall to take over until the end of the season. He hasn't decided yet

Rangers have asked McCall to take over until the end of the season. He hasn't decided yet

So they have McCoist on gardening leave, McDowell on twelve months notice, and are about to appoint a temporary manager. You couldn't make it up.

So they have McCoist on gardening leave, McDowell on twelve months notice, and are about to appoint a temporary manager. You couldn't make it up.

Appointing McCall will be the first sensible move they have done in around 3 years. Nothing the new board can do with McCoist and McDowell and they probably can't afford to pay them off at this point.

McDowell has left Rangers. Would presume Stuart McCall is taking over then.

McCall confirmed as Rangers manager

Back