• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Reading Build Up

If you're a wing back then you have to be constantly up and down the pitch. Rose and Walker would be the template.

Good luck with getting that to work with Doherty who can't be arsed running 20 yards if it involves defending.

If you're a wing back then you have to be constantly up and down the pitch. Rose and Walker would be the template.

Good luck with getting that to work with Doherty who can't be arsed running 20 yards if it involves defending.
Or have the majority of possession meaning you can convert the likes of Alonso and Moses into wing backs. What you can't do is put lumps there just because they are a bit shit at defending.

Who in fairness has scored more goals this season than both our centre forwards.why did we sign Marshall if we don't give him a shot?
Against Wigan he was so unfit in the second half I was embarrassed for him. He seems to have spent his month training with the U23's munching pies. I would play him right wing for this game for an hour because Weimann is becoming a pet hate of mine, but the stamina needed for right wing back he won't have now or ever.

Ikeme
Iorfa Williamson Hause CBJ
Price Saiss
Costa Weimann Bright
Dicko

I wouldn't drop Ikeme. Not sure if the back 4 are fit but other than perhaps Stearman I really want change. Evans perhaps instead of Price. Not convinced with Weimann out wide like many but wouldn't drop him, I think maybe he could do OK centrally... Leaves Bright out wide, inverted at least, don't know who else to say, not seen enough of any other kids. They could all rotate depending on how the game is going but hey why bother when Coady can continually curl it up the line while Edwards does his 90 minute sprint/starjump workout :).

im going to this one hope we play 4 - 4 - 2

Ikeme
Coady - Hause - Williamson - Doc
Costa - Sais - Edwards - Bod (might aswell put him on the wing as hes never in the box)
Bright (playing just behind Dicko)
Dicko

Who in fairness has scored more goals this season than both our centre forwards.why did we sign Marshall if we don't give him a shot?

Its quite clear Marshall is crap and a fat lump of lard dont why we ever signed him waste of money.

It's absolutely embarrassing that a professional footballer is deemed to be unfit after three weeks outside a matchday squad when he's played continuously throughout the season before that. What the fuck was he doing in those three weeks?!

Ikeme (awful, but somehow our other keeper is an even bigger liability)

Iorfa (I never want to see Coady at full back, or anywhere for that matter, again)
Williamson
Hause
CBJ

Evans
Saiss

Costa
Bright
Gibbs-White

Dicko

Lonergan, Stearman, Price, Edwards, Herc, Bodvarsson, Wilson

It's absolutely embarrassing that a professional footballer is deemed to be unfit after three weeks outside a matchday squad when he's played continuously throughout the season before that. What the fuck was he doing in those three weeks?!

Its even more embarrassing for the first team coach to include such an unfit player in the first team squad and then give him first team minutes especially when fully fit options are constantly overlooked.
Games for the boys.

The Fault lies with Lambert, and Lambert alone.

Hoof it to one up front watch there centre half win the ball, then watch the other team put us under pressure.
Repeat
Repeat
repeat

here's a novel approach with Costa, Price, Saville, Stearman

KEEP THE FUCKING BALL YOU BELL END.
Pass it, put them under pressure, Birmingham out passed us.

if you want to play hoof ball fuck off and play it somewhere else

The Fault lies with Lambert, and Lambert alone.

Hoof it to one up front watch there centre half win the ball, then watch the other team put us under pressure.
Repeat
Repeat
repeat

here's a novel approach with Costa, Price, Saville, Stearman

KEEP THE $#@!ING BALL YOU BELL END.
Pass it, put them under pressure, Birmingham out passed us.

if you want to play hoof ball $#@! off and play it somewhere else

We hoof is half the time because the midfield is MIA.

Its also the way they are bring trained on the training ground, and also the fact we havent got a "MacDonald" type player to spread the play, all our long passes never get to our players.

We hoof because the Thelwell dossier thinks it is a good idea from under 9s upward.

Not sure about that, Thelwell was here for the whole of 2014 with Ken as manager (broadly speaking his appointment) and for most of that year we played some good football. The U23s play some good stuff too.

We weren't playing like this under Lambert six weeks ago.

Ikeme (awful, but somehow our other keeper is an even bigger liability)

Iorfa (I never want to see Coady at full back, or anywhere for that matter, again)
Williamson
Hause
CBJ

Evans
Saiss

Costa
Bright
Gibbs-White

Dicko

Lonergan, Stearman, Price, Edwards, Herc, Bodvarsson, Wilson

That's the exact same team I scribbled down pre lunch. Oh apart from Price instead of Evans

Not sure about that, Thelwell was here for the whole of 2014 with Ken as manager (broadly speaking his appointment) and for most of that year we played some good football. The U23s play some good stuff too.

We weren't playing like this under Lambert six weeks ago.

Really? Has always looked that way to me. This giving the opposition the ball back to try and force mistakes and win it high up the field has always been his tactic as far as I can see. Works well when the other side like possession, fails miserably when you've been worked out.

As for the way Jacket played, it is only my theory but I think Jackett played the way he wanted to following his success in Lg1 but following the debacle with Sako had a rethink with Thelwell and now we have the turgid crap we've had for the last 2 seasons. The U18's are terrible by the way, hoof, hoof, hoof. It's shocking that such young footballers are told to get it forward early.

He hasn't had a great emphasis on possession at any stage here (we don't have the players to play that way anyway) but we weren't just thumping the ball forward first time through December and January. We scored 22 goals in 12 games in those two months.

He hasn't had a great emphasis on possession at any stage here (we don't have the players to play that way anyway) but we weren't just thumping the ball forward first time through December and January. We scored 22 goals in 12 games in those two months.

I take the point we weren't playing anywhere near as long as we are now. I'd disagree we don't have the players either with Saiss and Price we can control a midfield possession wise. Cav and Ronan are clearly big losses as they allowed us to get the ball into either flank and have a goal threat. We clearly don't have that threat with Weimann or Edwards playing and without a true number 10 (Bright?) who can retain the ball then we will always look to hammer it long.

But this lack of possession is a terrible thing and we really should be looking at retaining the ball and working with it at some point or we'll go down and playing Saville and Edwards are clearly not the answer. I know you know this so please don't think I'm having a pop.

Playing Bod wide with Dicko up top may give us the other wide man option and he can retain possession and use it well and a front 4 of Bod, Bright, Costa and Dicko may just work, but only if we have actual footballers in midfield and a desire to keep the ball.

all good points made above, but for all the suggestions made, they'll never work because Edwards will be one of first names on teamsheet, along with Gloves and Batth.
what a ridiculous state of affairs.

All this talk of a nr.10...does it even exist one.. Bright, Ronan, Jacobs, Edwards whoever it may be.. We need to win games and fast ..otherwise it will be L1 again.. Edwards is no worse than any other mid we have bar costa and cavaleiro.. So i dont get the hate.. Who will score the goals? Saville? Price? Evans? Prince? Saiss?

Because he goes through little scoring streaks (has done for his entire nine year Wolves career) which then grant him immunity for months from being dropped despite him offering absolutely nothing by and large if he doesn't score.

We've played 11 games in 2017. Edwards has scored in one of them. The same amount as Kortney Hause.

Check his record over the years, it's always something like 5 in 8, 0 in 21, 4 in 7, 1 in 29 etc etc etc.

Back