• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

REFERENDUM RESULTS AND DISCUSSION THREAD

Katya Adler, who for me has been fantastic throughout this whole charade, is tweeting that a deal is all but agreed (and was months ago really) and its just the posturing of how it will be sold as a win to both parties to be decided.

Reading the news today was the first time I saw how Brexit will directly impact me in the very near future -

I live in the Docklands and the traffic is heavy enough even during lockdown, as there are 5 or 6 different ferry companies operating out of Dublin Port and the haulage traffic hasnt slowed down at all during the Pandemic. Started seeing the road police installing new lights and warning signs on my road this week, and am now reading that from 1st January we can expect heavy traffic in our area due to delays at the Port with the new customs rules coming into effect.

As it looks increasingly likely there won't be an agreement reached this week, we go into a default no-deal scenario on 1st January and that is likely to cause chaos around the Port until drivers get used to the extra delays in boarding ferries.

Absolute political madness - how the UK Government think this is all a good thing for the UK in the long run is beyond me...

I (still) think a last-minute deal that satisfies no-one other than the people who want to be seen to be unhappy is where we will end up.

Realistically no deal will happen as there are only 2 sides - neither of which want to be seen as giving way.

This will hurt the UK but pretty sure that it hurts the other EU countries as well just as much.

Political posturing from both sides now - hopefully calmer heads can come out the other side once we have both realised the damage

I'm just hearing now that the EU and UK have reached agreement in principle on how to implement the most contentious issues around the Northern Ireland Protocol and as a result of the agreement the UK will withdraw the clauses in the Internal Market Bill which would have breached the Northern Ireland Protocol.

Some good news.

A deal of some sort will get agreed, then it'll be spun along the lines of ' the uk gave Johnny foreigner a bloody nose and forced the eu to bow down to our superiority' when in reality the uk realised how bad it'll be and caved in

If anything gets agreed then ultimately no one comes out of this with any credit.

Boris has no doubt got Carrie Symonds baking a big humble pie to take to Brussels. I think he'll end up being served this balls on toast as despite the bluster he knows a No Deal will be disastrous and thinks he's clever enough to sell whatever deal he ends up with to his adoring electorate.

Using the offer of removal of your plan to breach international law as an olive branch to try and get the other side to give a concession isn’t diplomacy. It’s piss poor.

How the hell has Johnson managed to flog the withdrawal agreement as his "oven ready" deal to the British public?

Un
Fucking
Believable

He lies. Who fucking knew?

Its like claiming a cow in the field is oven ready. There are a few fairly significant steps before getting Ermintrude* to the oven

*one for magic roundabout nostalgists

There should be no way that no deal can be sold as a good thing or that we can "prosper mightily" from it. A Conservative MP was claiming last night that the UK public were more concerned about low Corporation Taxes and sovereignty rather than tariffs on foods.

It can't happen can it?

Telling yesterday that when Kier Starmer referred to no deal, fat Alex corrected that to “leaving on Australian terms”. That is no deal you fat cretin.

I still think there will be a deal and Fat Al will 'save' Brexit at the last hour.

Full tin foil hat - they've had this planned for a while.

They'll be a deal of sorts. With Biden in the White House Johnson has to get one. He's a populist not ideology driven like Farage, Redwood, JRM etc. His challenge will be justifying it to that lot.

I do think some of the EU negotiation stance IF it's as reported is in bad faith though, particularly with their insistence to follow any regulations which don't currently exist

Back