• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

REFERENDUM RESULTS AND DISCUSSION THREAD

The MHRA’s decision was taken in accordance with the relevant EU legislation, which allows member states to grant temporary authorisation for a medicinal product in response to the spread of infectious diseases (among others). This legislation still applied to the UK until the end of the transition period. Any EU member state could have used the same provision of the legislation to approve the vaccine. They decided not to for political and technical reasons, not legal ones.

Similarly, the member states were in no way obliged to take part in the EU’s joint vaccine procurement scheme. The EU has very limited competences for public health under its founding treaties: it can take action only to “support, coordinate or supplement the actions of the Member States”. The EU member states in this case voluntarily decided to opt into the joint procurement scheme. If one or more of them had decided to follow the UK’s path and procure its own vaccines, no one would have stopped them.

So your one Brexit Benefit is that we need 120k+ people to die, then we do better at vaccinating than other countries.

You're not really selling this to me.

And yet no nation did. Why is that?
Because all other larger nations are wedded to the EU project and the smaller ones don't have the infrastructure to go it alone in terms of approval. Nobody is suggesting that the UK haven't done a better job on this element of the pandemic, but to suggest it's because of Brexit simply isn't true. Even Hancock and Raab had to climb down from that when they originally said it back in December

Yet you seem to imply that they had to?
Again, this is clearly very difficult for you so I’ll try and make it even simpler.

legally, no one had to use the vaccine programme. Practically, they all had to due to the eu states acting as a bloc, that’s their commitment

Germany actually ordered some vaccines separately but because they are a part of the eu vaccine programme, they are not allowed to use them until all states are in the same position.

the only exception is vaccines ordered from Russia or China (not part of the eu programme and hence Hungary’s advantage.)

I mean there is one nation right in the middle of Europe with a large population, loads of borders and a startling low death rate compared to us. It’s almost as though Brexit has fuck all to do with how you manage the response.

Great that we are shifting on with vaccines and I’m sure that’ll be a great comfort to the 120k who have died already.

Your actual single one benefit* of Brexit is that we were able to let .2% of our population die so that you could crow about a fast roll out of vaccines.

I imagine we’ve all lost people to covid and using to it Brexit point score is fucking disgusting. You should be utterly ashamed of yourself.

*literally fuck all to do with Brexit

Last edited:
Haha, you crack on with your straw man, moaning at me for things ive never said.

I think that just demonstrates that you can’t put together a reasonable argument.

unsuprising though...

I don’t like to put people on ignore, but in this case it’s for the best. You’ll be crapping on about Bill Gates and snowflakes soon enough.

I don’t like to put people on ignore, but in this case it’s for the best. You’ll be crapping on about Bill Gates and snowflakes soon enough.
I’ve never said anything about either. Anything else I’ve not said you want to bang on about?

im happy for you to put me on ignore though, you add nothing to any discussions 😀

As to the EU purchasing & rollout of vaccines this has sod all to do with Brexit.

As others have said that even if still in we could have gone our own way, though it is enlightening that none of the other larger countries (Germany, France, Italy) have done so yet.

Some others have started to or are at least in discussions (spoke to my sister in Denmark & they are apparantly negotiating with Israel for any surplus as they have vaccinated the majority now).

Not sure that this should be on the referendum thread anyway as it isn't relevant to that.

Back