• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Rubbish Pubs

Some blasts from the past here. Having been a darter in Wolves since I was 17 I've been in the majority of these at some point or other. I'm pretty there's very few awful Wolverhampton pubs I've not been in as a result. However despite having lived within a ten minute walk from the Talisman for the last 25 years, I've never once been in there (obviously been closed down for some time even before covid).

The Ash is certainly no great shakes (it's recently been done up to a pretty decent standard in the bar to be honest) but it's a world apart from the Brit (shudder) and what was the Lint. I did use the Lint a lot at one point solely because nobody gave a fuck what you did in there and I didn't give a fuck what I did either but man it turned into a real shed over time. Last time I went in it reminded me of a transport cafe.

The Boat was a decent little boozer twenty odd years ago, now it's worse than the Tiger. Miles worse.
Actually my Da is still technically barred from one of these (might have been the Brit, I'll have to ask him). Got in an argument with the landlord, pulled off his clip-on tie and flushed it down the bog. Got barred, never went back. Was about 1978 so they've probably forgotten now.

The apple didn't fall far from the tree there, eh.

Just asked him and it was the Linthouse. He says it was fair game.

Growing up there were a few pubs by us that were shit, but they were more than happy to serve us when we were 16.

Noah's Ark, Cavalcade, Jolly Collyer and the United Kingdom being the main ones around Short Heath area

Growing up there were a few pubs by us that were shit, but they were more than happy to serve us when we were 16.

Noah's Ark, Cavalcade, Jolly Collyer and the United Kingdom being the main ones around Short Heath area
Bizarre, I was just looking for images of the Cavalcade but couldn't find any. I briefly lived smack bang between that and the Homestead. Only went in the Cavalcade once and it's the most uncomfortable I've ever been in a pub.

Been in all of them, all shocking.

When I started at HBOS, the girl doing the training mentioned the Jolly Collier and I went off on one about what a fucking craphouse it was. "Oh, my partner runs that". Whoops!

We're still friends now and that was 2003 so she obviously didn't take it to heart!

Playing darts in Wolverhampton leagues for years took you to some proper dodgy pubs. It stood you in good stead though as most of the players and usually the landlord played in the team. So you all got to know each other over the years.

The Pendulum really was like the set of shameless. A ghastly place.

Again, started at HBOS in 2003. As the culture of a lunchtime pint was still in at the time, I surveyed the nearby places.

After one venture to the Pendulum it was a never again and if that was a 1/10, the Harrowby was a 2/10.

We could get to the Woody if someone was driving, that's always been alright.

This was probably my favourite shithole in Burton.

The-Dart-Stapenhill.jpg

It's got boarded up a couple of years ago which is definitely for the best. It's in a massive council estate full of neds and dossers, and you could regularly find people openly smoking weed in the lounge most nights. Probably heroin in the toilets too knowing some of the lads that used to go in there.

Staffordshire Volunteer in Bushbury. Woodbine. One a One Stop. The other gently falling derelict. Both have improved from this change of usage.

We used to play against Staffs Vol on Sunday mornings for a few years as we worked our way through the leagues together. Absolute bunch of animals, never come across a bigger bunch of cunts since.

Most of those have been used as meeting points for nights out at some point, bunch of former colleagues used to live around Stroud Avenue. The Cavalcade by far the worst of the bunch, wouldn't have dared to go in without a local by my side. On lad I worked with treated it like a second home though, think he was a big fan of some of their 'off menu' goods.

64390ae41f9111e665832725f9fa382d.jpg

This pub in central Manchester can absolutely fuck off.

I guarantee you that there's a fight in there on the hour, every hour. Truly horrible.

The true Brit, full of dole scum and gammons.
The Ashmore is alright, the landlords been running it as a food bank during the pandemic, during which it got raided because someone grassed to the police it was serving drinks, landlord said if he finds out who it was they'll be kneecapped!
The linthouse was always a bit crap,
The boat is where Leon clarks dad was stabbed, he died in the high street trying to make it to the Royal tiger for some reason, used to go there fairly regularly a mad bird I was knocking about with liked it in there, I dumped her after she punched my dad unconscious and tried to nick his dog! He was sitting on the front wall watching the world go by, Neighbour over the road stopped her, and held onto her until the police came.

The Great Horse in Low Hill was a particularly interesting joint for all the wrong reasons.

Down our way a ‘Wank Pub’ would be any pub that had a ‘Greene King’ logo by the door.

Their headquarters is up the road from us in Bury St Edmunds and they rule the roost for miles around with ruthlessness and sharp practices Michael O’Leary would be proud of. They are pretty much despised and it doesn’t help that their staple, GK IPA is shite too. Every pub feels like a carbon copy of the last one you went in and after a while you’d rather go to the dentist than a GK pub.

As a byproduct of that, the few Freehouses that exist are always packed. They tend to be very expensive, both beer and food, but the natives can’t get enough of it.

Looks like GK are spreading their misery far and wide and are (unless I’m mistaken) now the U.K’s largest pub chain. I mean, I guess they might improve the odd shithole in the same way Tesco Express did for the odd mouldy corner shop, but the outlook for good pub and good ale lovers from GK’s dominance is not good at all.

The Boat still had a darts team on a Friday as of a couple of years back. Unfortunately they also had a disco on those nights too, which with a pub the size of that it isn't exactly conducive for a good game. It was mostly being used as a pre town piss-up joint as a result.

Down our way a ‘Wank Pub’ would be any pub that had a ‘Greene King’ logo by the door.

Their headquarters is up the road from us in Bury St Edmunds and they rule the roost for miles around with ruthlessness and sharp practices Michael O’Leary would be proud of. They are pretty much despised and it doesn’t help that their staple, GK IPA is shite too. Every pub feels like a carbon copy of the last one you went in and after a while you’d rather go to the dentist than a GK pub.

As a byproduct of that, the few Freehouses that exist are always packed. They tend to be very expensive, both beer and food, but the natives can’t get enough of it.

Looks like GK are spreading their misery far and wide and are (unless I’m mistaken) now the U.K’s largest pub chain. I mean, I guess they might improve the odd shithole in the same way Tesco Express did for the odd mouldy corner shop, but the outlook for good pub and good ale lovers from GK’s dominance is not good at all.
Trips is going to kill you, just so you know.

Bizarre, I was just looking for images of the Cavalcade but couldn't find any. I briefly lived smack bang between that and the Homestead. Only went in the Cavalcade once and it's the most uncomfortable I've ever been in a pub.
Stroud Ave then, grew up and lived round there until I was about 20

Back