• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Scottish Independence watch

Who is ahead in the poles for Scotish independence?

Several German businesses , have already said they will pull out of cataluna , if the vote goes ahead.The Spanish government , said the vote wont go ahead.

Will they move HMRC out of Cumbernauld? Most arrogant obnoxious people I've ever had the misfortune to speak to. Certainly don't get the same response when you speak to their English counterparts.

Penk most probably will have to, you cant have a foreign country doing tax for a foreign country.
At the moment the yes vote is between 35% and 42%.

Who is ahead in the poles for Scotish independence?

Several German businesses , have already said they will pull out of cataluna , if the vote goes ahead.The Spanish government , said the vote wont go ahead.

Last I saw couple of months ago the no vote was well ahead in the opinion polls. Most scots are not stupid and don't let patriotism get in the way of logic.
I'd be very surprised if they voted yes.
Question who provide there defence?
No doubt border control would need to be set up.

I think the only realistic chance of Scotland voting Yes is if Cameron and the rest of the Tories keep prattling on about issues other than monetary union as there is nothing more guaranteed to piss a majority of Scots off than a bunch of Tory public school boys talking down to them. I suspect even affirmed Unionists will waiver if they get a barrage of Tory bluster from south of the border.

The alternative to the antiquated continuator argument would be to view both Scotland and the rUK as two co-equal successor states (even though the rUK is obviously the larger of the two( whose fates are tied to an amicably negotiated transition from one nation to two nations following a "yes" vote on the referendum. International law recognises that possibility of a negotiated outcome, one that can be easily embraced by both Holyrood and Westminster if their mutual intent is to facilitate a smooth transition, rather than one seeking to sabotage it.

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2014/02/flaw-osbornes-pre-emptive-strike-against-currency-union

OK so they keep the pound, but they would have to agree to fiscal union which basically means that they aren't independent on tax, interest rates, quantitative easing, etc. It kind of makes the whole thing a bit pointless in the end.

to keep the pound there would need to be a referendum outwith Scotland, the agreement was a referendum when the uk decides that a Currency Union is viable. There will be a referendum before joining the Euro.
A Currency union makes no sense out with Scotland.....

Would you really want to allow Scotland to effectively spend what they like knowing the UK / BOE could vail them out it's not going to happen.
For every statesmen argument there are 10 9others explaining why it's not a good thing....

The Euro has shown a CU without a Political one does not work, Scotland now expect toi cxreate one on there terms with the UK, in addition Salmond has said " The english will not get a vote on a CU it's not up to them" more bullshit and bullying from Salmond.

BOS, they do not want independence, the SNPp wanted devo max, but need the agreement of the UK for that.

Salmon vs Darling round 2 tonight at 8:30. Anyone watching this?

I'm holding out hope for some kind of natural disaster to take both of the cunts out while they're on the same stage.

No. I'm watching more important stuff. Citeh vs 'pool.

Fair enough.

I've got the football on my laptop and the debate on the box.

Anybody from here watch it?

No, but I'd like to know when we are allowed to vote whether the Scottish stay in or not.

I read last week that there are a number of big US firms in Scotland ready to relocate to Ireland if they go independent.

No, but I'd like to know when we are allowed to vote whether the Scottish stay in or not.

In any divorce it doesn't need both parties to agree for it to happen. Having said that if I was born Scottish with 100% Scottish antecedents, but was living & working in Manchester at the moment & therefore don't have a vote I would be extremely pissed off that I could become a foreigner without having any say in the matter.

Did have last nights prog on, though not listening intently all the time, particularly when they both decided that talking at the same time was a good tactic to aid understanding. Salmond gave, for me, his usual 'Snake Oil salesman at a Country Fair' performance, i.e. 'take my solution and it will cure all ills & we will walk together into the sunshine of freedom & success' without explaining what was in the solution.

Darling didn't perform that well and made the mistake of continually harping back to the currency issue (important as it is). He had made the point early and it was pointless to keep asking the question that Salmond is never going to give a straight answer to. Should have spent more time reinforcing the benefits that staying together will bring.

As someone who has no affiliation to Scotland, whatsoever, how much do we lose or gain by not having Scotland ?

As someone who has no affiliation to Scotland, whatsoever, how much do we lose or gain by not having Scotland ?

Like most divorces I suspect it depends on the final settlement after the decision.

Cannot see that the complications that will come from any split will be outweighed by the benefits for either party

Salmond is a one trick pony, he has his independent Scotland flag to wav and after that, he's got nothing. Personally i hope the vote is a "NO" just to see his face.

I'd be surprised if it ended up being a NO vote tbh.

Back