• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Scottish Independence watch

I cannot understand why they chose Alistair Darling as the figurehead.

Because he's the definitive bank manager: sensible, dull, plodding, pedantic, pragmatic, unhysterical. He was supposed to offer the level-headedness that would counter Salmond's emotional outbursts, abstracts and what-ifs. Salmond is all 'Our time is now'. Darling is more 'well, hang on, let's look at what this would mean for your household in real terms.'

I think that's how it was meant to work.

Darling? :icon_mrgreen:

FFS just cut them loose,and they'll probably merge with Romania or something before long.

Yes vote edges slightly ahead by 51% - 49% excluding the undecided.

Yes vote edges slightly ahead by 51% - 49% excluding the undecided.

I must admit I thought the no vote would win comfortably, but it could be very close

If the yes vote does win, where would that leave Berwick on Tweed?

They'll be calling themselves Skintland before long.

Gideon was very strong this morning on Scotland never having the pound and being economically unworkable. Now where was that former banker Alex's plan B......

Couple of points if Scotland does vote yes it'll leave itself defenceless, unless it asks Britain to defend them at a cost which won't be cheap. Scotland is anti nuclear weapons and has demanded that trident will have to be removed from fanslane meaning forcing Britain into temporary nuclear disarmament. This would leave other NATO partners exposed also.
Scotland says it'll apply for NATO membership but I'm pretty certain they'll be refused because of there anti nuclear stance.
Also I assume independence will mean the break up of the SNP because labour, Tories and all other London based parties will have to leave. Meaning Scotland will become a one party state.

Gideon was very strong this morning on Scotland never having the pound and being economically unworkable. Now where was that former banker Alex's plan B......

He never had a viable plan A, let alone a plan B. For a former economist he's not doing particularly well.

I must admit I thought the no vote would win comfortably, but it could be very close

If the yes vote does win, where would that leave Berwick on Tweed?

Berwick is in England clearly so it's no dispute.

Reading this morning that there are 120000 EU Nationals (exc. English/Welsh, Irish & N Irish) eligible to vote in the Referendum on the basis they are over 16 & living in Scotland at the moment.

This could be decided by a group of people who aren't even Scottish, whilst thousands of native born Scots have no say as they are elsewhere in the EU now. Just seems a somewhat perverse form of democracy.

Have never understood Salmond attachment to the pound either, whether through currency union (which he's been told he is not going to get) or by just using the pound (which we can't stop him doing) as he effectively hands fiscal policy to a foreign central bank (which is what the BoE would become if they vote Yes) - again an odd form of independence.

Osborne suggesting today that there would be further devolution if there is a No vote, which makes you wonder if this is what Salmond has been after all along. Get the Yes vote close enough to scare Westminster and grab whatever you can at that point. Then again if you are a cynical Yes vote supporting Scot this could be seen as bribery by those evil English.

For some reason I find myself wanting it to go the way of the No campaign and that's from someone that always supports whoever Scotland are playing in a football match.

The worrying thing is the amount of aggression shown by YES supporters towards NO supporters, I've seen some of the abuse that Jim Murphy has had to endure in his campaign for better together and it had been appalling, it's something that you'd expect to see in a communist state.
The YES campaign has made out that English society is barbaric, unjust and a War monger. They seem to forget the last war we led by a Scottish prime minister in Tony Blair.
If Scotland is some utopian just society that everyone in the UK should aspire to then why are some people afraid to admit they are voting NO in public and being accused of being traitors of Scotland.

But will Berwick Rangers be expelled from the Scottish football system? This is IMPORTANT STUFF.

But no doubt Rangers and Celtic fans voting YES will still want be part of the English Premier League.

But will Berwick Rangers be expelled from the Scottish football system? This is IMPORTANT STUFF.

No cause for them to be, UEFA wouldn't enforce it at any rate. Derry City play in the southern Irish system, San Marino Calcio play in the Italian system, FC Vaduz of Liechtenstein play in the Swiss system.

Back