• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Scottish Independence watch

So what about Scots who want independence but don't want Salmond as Prime Minister?

So what about Scots who want independence but don't want Salmond as Prime Minister?

Surely there are many local politicians who'd be quick to form parties and there would be an election for government?

I don't see 'yeah we're independent now,and I'm prime minister' work out in a democracy.

I think that's what's going to happen I've heard nothing about a general election in Scotland if the YES wins.

Salmond will consider himself to be der fuhrer.

The big issue is there is a UK election in 2015, and Salmond wants the breakaway to happen in 2016. So there will still be Scottish MPs at the election and then they will be gone early in the term so a possible majority could suddenly cease to exist.

That is constitutionally messy. Personally, I feel that if there is a yes vote Salmond should be told you break away the day before the UK election and you just need to put up with it.

Salmond will consider himself to be der fuhrer.

The big issue is there is a UK election in 2015, and Salmond wants the breakaway to happen in 2016. So there will still be Scottish MPs at the election and then they will be gone early in the term so a possible majority could suddenly cease to exist.

That is constitutionally messy. Personally, I feel that if there is a yes vote Salmond should be told you break away the day before the UK election and you just need to put up with it.

If they vote yes then there should be no elections for Scottish constituencies in 2015. The existing Scottish MPs can stay on as associate members (i.e. non voting) to oversee the handover, but should have no say whatever in anything which affects the rest of the UK after the initial vote is concluded.

If they vote yes then there should be no elections for Scottish constituencies in 2015. The existing Scottish MPs can stay on as associate members (i.e. non voting) to oversee the handover, but should have no say whatever in anything which affects the rest of the UK after the initial vote is concluded.

Who represents those constituencies for the 12 months between election and independence?

They're already represented in the Scottish Parliament, presumably.

But they'll still be subject to westminster laws etc. What about 'No taxation without representation'?

Will they be dumping gallons of Irn Bru into Glasgow docks?

I suppose in the event of a Yes vote, Westminster could devolve virtually everything to Holyrood in the interim period. There's no constitution limit (IIRC, anyway) on what level of power we're allowed to grant away. Gideon has already pledged to do more of that anyway if they say No.

Who represents those constituencies for the 12 months between election and independence?

The current Scottish MPs can represent them, but not sure why they should be raising issues at Westminster in that case if their electorate as a whole have decided to separate.

They all have MSPs they can raise issues in the Scottish parliament anyway, which is what they will have decided they would rather have.

If the vote goes for independence cannot see why the Scottish seats should be fought & affect the possible makeup of the Westminster parliament & government which we will either have to live with till 2020 or have a dislocated government after the settlement of terms and the formal separation occurs.

It's horrible up here at the minute, they yes campaign are a bunch of thugs, walking round city centres attacking anyone who shows signs of being a No voter.

I want it finished so I can either settle down again, or start looking back home in England for a job....
I played golf with a retired (very) senior police chief over the weekend he is still involved in a consultancy role, he suggested that a lot of people are not saying anything for fear of reprisals, he then went on to say the campaign is fast becoming Police Scotland biggest issue.

Salmond has lied through his teeth, he has been caught out too many times, had to apologise to Holyrood, been exposed as a liar on several issues, especially the one of a Gateshead hospital cancelling cancer operations (despite the fact this particular hospital has never done Cancer operations) , There is a leading UK cancer hospital a few miles down the road, where all northern cancer operations were performed.
The excuse given, we never checked, and still people are buying in to his vision of England being

"lowlife War Mongering Scum who are not allowed a say in anything after independence"

My overriding hope after a yes vote, is a galvanised England destroying Scotland economically due the there attitudes and threats towards England.

Desperate times for both Cameron and Milliband, a yes vote will see Dave's legacy as the Prime Minister that lost Scotland and poor old Ed will never become PM.

I wouldn't underestimate the impact on English politics of the Tories' disastrous, ideology led austerity policies. A Lab-Lib coalition is at least as likely as another Con-Lib one. Dave isn't winning an election outright any time soon.

They are a government who actively chastise, castigate and disenfranchise the poor. Worst government I have ever known by an insane margin.

Reading an article in a Norwegian paper about independence.

Is the vote really next week? (I thought it was just sort of a pipe dream).

Some guy named Tony Travers called an expert on the matter,is he?

Scotland wants to become a "new Norway",with a massive oil fund and oil/gas flowing everywhere. ;)
Setting aside £1bn a year,no problem!

In general it seems there are a few major issues if YES.Monetary/currency/debts and the BBC! :)

Back