• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Sheff Utd (H) 25/2: Build-Up & Match Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
There might be a reason for that: you can't miss what you don't take. Pens awarded for and against 2018/19 to 2023/24:
Man U 48 22
Man C 48 22
Chelsea 42 18
L'pool 36 15
Brighton 34 36
Palace 32 21
Arsenal 32 31
W Ham 30 33
Spurs 24 33
Newcastle 24 27
Everton 20 26
Wolves 17 34
Not sure if this marks out how rubbish we were at attacking for three of those seasons, how lopsided the refereeing is or both!

Still though it's those 17 plus:

Bonatini vs Preston
Costa vs Leeds
Cavaleiro vs Bolton
Jota vs Hull
Coady vs Bolton

22 successful penalties in the league in a row.

That's a very binary approach you are taking
Well I'm playing devil's advocate to be honest and remembering the hammering I was getting for saying we should stick with 5 and for defending the calls that "Kilman is shit/championship level"

But once again I don't see the obsession with going to a 4 at the back, especially as we are playing it at times anyway. 4 at the back doesn't guarantee more goals or entertainment so why?

By all means experiment with different ideas especially against the low block, but 3 CBs suits us as a club of our stature when more often than not we will be the underdog.

It's all about flexibility, three CHs was obviously wrong vs Forest as they weren't even trying to attack and we were McGheeing it around on the halfway line. O'Neil didn't change it which was a mistake.

He did at least change it up at HT vs Brentford as it was blatantly obvious how they'd try to shithouse the second half (horrible team). It didn't work but it was the right idea to go in a different direction based on the match situation.

We should win on Sunday with two or three CHs as Sheff Utd are desperately out of their depth.

Nuno was a stubborn swine on the back 3. His solution was throw as many different people on at RWB to find a way through.

I would be surprised if Sheff Utd try a Sunderland style block for 90+ mins.
Also just win some corners, they are shit at defending those

Nuno was a stubborn swine on the back 3. His solution was throw as many different people on at RWB to find a way through.
Can only ever remember him changing it once. Away at Fulham in 2018 after we went 2-0 down. Put Coady into midfield and brought Afobe on, Coady nearly got a top assist with a superb through ball as well.

They're in an odd position as every game is must win now, but clearly "going for it" is suicide.

They're in an odd position as every game is must win now, but clearly "going for it" is suicide.
Speaking to a couple of their STHs they have all their eggs in the Everton and Forest points deduction basket, so I think they'll play for the point and hope to grab something off a set piece

By all means experiment with different ideas especially against the low block, but 3 CBs suits us as a club of our stature when more often than not we will be the underdog.
Agree to an extent but our remaining home games:

Sheff Utd
Fulham
Bournemouth
West Ham
Arsenal
Luton
Crystal Palace

We're strong favourites in at least five of those, surely...

Favourites maybe, (underdog is the wrong term) what I mean is it's rare that we come up against the low block, which is when 5atb can be a problem.

Out of those I'd only expect Blades to play like that, the rest won't? Even Luton will attack us.

West Ham were weird at Molineux last season. By no means clear of relegation, we hadn't won at Molineux for months and they didn't even try to attack, not even after we scored.

Speaking to a couple of their STHs they have all their eggs in the Everton and Forest points deduction basket, so I think they'll play for the point and hope to grab something off a set piece
They can put their eggs in that basket but even with those 2 teams and points deductions they'll still go down.

Last edited:
They can their eggs in that basket but even with those 2 teams and points deductions they'll still go down.
Agreed but with another 10 points they'd be above Everton and a point behind Forest...it's the hope that kills you

They can their eggs in that basket but even with those 2 teams and points deductions they'll still go down.
Watching Auston Trusty at this level can drive you a bit batty innit

Not sure I’m aboard the “Wolves are going to Europe” bandwagon but our run until the end of the season is very favourable to say the least - every chance we could hit 55-60 points this season which is absolutely frightening.

We do still have Arsenal Man City and Liverpool in the last 5 games, two of which are away

8th if we win tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back