• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Sheff Utd (H) FA Cup 3rd Rd (9/1/21) Build Up & Match Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
can't complain about our young players being shit if we never try to actually let them... what's that thing called again... oh yeah, play and develop

No-one in the 23s is even close to being good enough for Wolves to be honest with you.

Not suggesting it needs to be a full youth squad or anything. I suppose my trepidation would depend on the schedule of the surrounding games, as well, in which case... WELP.

It's all fairly light after New Year (unless stuff gets moved due to other clubs' commitments, but probably not).

Fourth Round is set aside for Premier League clubs anyway, if we don't get through then we don't have a game.

We'd be mad to play Kilman and Coady, unless something changes squad wise
I think we'll recall a few of the loan players, play them and send then back out again

No-one in the 23s is even close to being good enough for Wolves to be honest with you.
Nah not really. Although I do like Cundle. There’s a few in there that will have decent EFL careers Tbf but no where near our first team

5 years into Fosun that's a failure then, given we've recruited heavily into it rather than relying on Josh from Telford
A few of the ones anywhere near are on loan this season

A few of the ones anywhere near are on loan this season
Who?
Giles, MGW and Sanderson been there as kids and are having the best seasons of our loan players. Marques, Sondergaard and Lonwijk are in their top leagues but struggling to get games, Matheson has been dropped by a second tier Scottish side, Rogan pre dates Fosun and is on the Wolves loan to eternity train.

Corbeanu is the only one who would qualify as doing OK on loan whilst being brought in comparatively recently

Marques and Lonwijk are very good prospects. I think marques is a big part of their thinking. Him not getting games isn’t the end of the world, he’s gone into a first team setting training every day competing with senior pros. It’s a good experience regardless on the face of it. Youth Development isn’t linear anyway.

corbeanu is doing well but I don’t see him as big a prospect as Marques in terms of our first team.

bolla has a chance IMO too.and Bueno has made big strides since joining (he was poor when I saw him against Orient u18s a couple of years ago when he’d just joined)

Kilman is a big plus for our u23 recruitment too…

He wasn't recruited as a teenager to develop though, just an opportunistic punt to spin him later, which is fine, but not what we are looking to achieve from our U23s. We've paid a decent amount of money to get players through that route. The whole squad ethos relies on it, it has to happen.

They've started getting their fingers into US clubs and academies, which is a start. Casting a wider net.

He wasn't recruited as a teenager to develop though, just an opportunistic punt to spin him later, which is fine, but not what we are looking to achieve from our U23s. We've paid a decent amount of money to get players through that route. The whole squad ethos relies on it, it has to happen.
I’m not sure that is the plan. I think Fosun are treating the Academy as a revenue stream, if a player happens to come through then great but I don’t think that’s their priority.

Either way it's a crucial component that needs to produce something of value (for lack of a better word).

I'd be very surprised if a player made the step up from u23 straight into PL, the two levels are miles apart. The pathway is much more likely to involve going out on loan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back