• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Sheffield United 1 - 0 Wolves: The Verdict

I am worried about next season already. There is a reason pundits keep harping on about the number of games having an impact - because they do. Despite a Covid break we have come back looking tired and our play has been sloppy. If we do get past Okympiacos we will have a short or very short break and I think it will massively impact on next season's performances. As said above we need to start using more than 12 players. Arsenal's subs upped the tempo against us so they ran out comfortable winners and tonight the two forwards SU brought on added impetus to their play. If we persist with 12 players, especially now 5 subs are allowed, we will be dead on our feet well before Christmas.

Time for this

Patricio

Jonny Dendonker Coady Boly Vinagre

Moutinho Neves

Traore Jimenez Jota

3-4-3 or 5-2-3 depending on attack or defence.

Time for this

Patricio

Jonny Dendonker Coady Boly Vinagre

Moutinho Neves

Traore Jimenez Jota

3-4-3 or 5-2-3 depending on attack or defence.
In individual moments Jonny was poor tonight, cost us the goal and his ball watching could have cost us another and I'm on record as questioning whether he should play against certain sides. Vinagre was poor away at Everton though, this isn't the game I'd change it.

Some of youse need to get a fucking grip.

Better team first half. Passed it fine, a lot of "nearly" moments (Raul scores if he controls it even vaguely properly, Jota should have shot, Jota hacked down when he was just about to be clean through, free kick off the bar) and not overly troubled.

Conditions were woeful, got worse as the game went on and we didn't adapt properly. Should have taken Adama off earlier, he was doing nothing and we totally lost midfield. By the time we changed it was neither fish nor fowl, we lost a threat on the break but we'd already lost momentum for too long for it to make any difference.

Podence would have been no good tonight, no-one could run with the ball on that pudding of a pitch in the second half.

Good ball in, good header for the goal. Sometimes you just hold your hands up. Freakish how they got a corner in the first place with it pinballing around but that's football sometimes.

Nothing is too different from the three games we won, we scored then, we didn't in these two.

Doc got a bit of a doing from Stevens.

Disappointing to lose like that of course but 6th is in our hands and for all the lofty dreaming, that is what we are. Oh noes, how will we ever cope.

Im just pissed off we didnt go for it more..as you said, and i commented we were fine first half..thing is we were not second half..so make some changes maybe to try and change the game picture..everybody saw that..i mean really, because of the grass you cant put somebody on..come on

If Neto is fit for the next one then would bring him back in for Jota - & Moutinho does need a game off (though he coped fairly well tonight it will be telling on him)

We haven't become a shit team with a shit manager overnight

DW got it spot on

Im juset pissed off we didnt go for it more..as you said, and i commented we were fine first half..thing is we were not second half..so make some changes maybe to try and change the game picture..everybody saw that..i mean really, because of the grass you cant put somebody on..come on

I get you want to play a 1-0-9 formation Fred because we'll score loads of goals but he would not have been any good.

Jota fell over three times when he tried to run with it, their players were getting nowhere too.

We'd have struggled to give him the ball anyway as we didn't have any of it in the second half. Hence Adama doing bugger all.

I get you want to play a 1-0-9 formation Fred because we'll score loads of goals but he would not have been any good.

Jota fell over three times when he tried to run with it, their players were getting nowhere too.

We'd have struggled to give him the ball anyway as we didn't have any of it in the second half. Hence Adama doing bugger all.

at least it wil be 10-9 then and something to cheer about ;)

Better team first half. Passed it fine, a lot of "nearly" moments (Raul scores if he controls it even vaguely properly, Jota should have shot, Jota hacked down when he was just about to be clean through, free kick off the bar) and not overly troubled.

Conditions were woeful, got worse as the game went on and we didn't adapt properly. Should have taken Adama off earlier, he was doing nothing and we totally lost midfield. By the time we changed it was neither fish nor fowl, we lost a threat on the break but we'd already lost momentum for too long for it to make any difference.

Podence would have been no good tonight, no-one could run with the ball on that pudding of a pitch in the second half.

Good ball in, good header for the goal. Sometimes you just hold your hands up. Freakish how they got a corner in the first place with it pinballing around but that's football sometimes.

Nothing is too different from the three games we won, we scored then, we didn't in these two.

Disappointing to lose like that of course but 6th is in our hands and for all the lofty dreaming, that is what we are. Oh noes, how will we ever cope.

That's largely wank. You're watching from the perspective of someone who's still comparing it to 0-0 with Stevenage. Pudding of a pitch my arse, it wasn't a pudding of a pitch for Sheffield United

so maybe teams hammer the pitch day before when a better passing team arrives..could be a tactic :)

That's largely wank. You're watching from the perspective of someone who's still comparing it to 0-0 with Stevenage. Pudding of a pitch my arse, it wasn't a pudding of a pitch for Sheffield United

Tell you what mate, talk to me like I know you're capable of doing or don't bother. That's out of order.

Sigh.

Of course, it's very disappointing to lose 2 in a row, not score, not create too much and lose ground on teams around us.

I'm not even going to argue that we've played well in the past two games because we haven't. I won't argue that we deserved to win either game because we didn't. I think 0-0 would have been fair tonight, mind you.

BUT.

Again, I find the level of doom and gloom more depressing than the actual football. It's too much.

1. 'We've not played well since the restart'. Erm.. we got 3 deserved wins on the spin. Sure, not at our absolute best but are people suggesting we didn't deserve to win, or that we played poorly in any of these games?

2. 'We don't look like scoring'. Maybe we don't look like scoring enough, but Traore missed a 1 on 1 on Saturday. He should have scored. We were on top at the time. Neves hit the bar in the 1st half today. I agree that we should be creating more than that, but if either of those go in, both matches would have been very different. But they didn't - fine margins and all that.

3. It doesn't take long for some players who have looked top class for us to be deemed 'not good enough'. Just plain disrespectful. Arguments that they should be dropped through lack of form is fair enough (not that I necessarily agree with that) but saying they're not good enough? Have a word.

We're still in 6th and we will need to improve on the last 2 performances to keep our place or improve on it. I see absolutely no reason why we can't do this, I still think we're working hard but we've played 2 tough teams who have made it difficult for us.

The season is still very much alive for us and an extremely successful finish is still in our hands.

We're not in a good run of form after the last 2 games, we ALL know we need to get better but FFS the level of despair absolutely does my head in.

Anyway, Donk in for Moutinho v Everton. Give João a rest. Neto/Podence for Jota and stick to the 3-4-3. Would be happy with Vinagre coming in, but really it’s Doc that needs the break and we don’t really have anyone to replace him (squad depth again).

Despite Nuno’s preference to stick to the same 12 players, we need some fresh legs in the side.

It's a strange one because of how well we have done that criticism seems to be really harsh but i think we've been pretty bad in our last 2 games. We looked very comfortable in the first 3 games soaking it up then hitting 3 poor teams with quality and i don't think anyone can really complain about them. I think if we are to progress there will come a time we we have to control those games by finishing teams off earlier and scoring 3 or 4 but i wasn't too worried about that.

I am very worried about the last 2 performances though and Nuno which i don't think anyone can really argue with. He's not utilised his squad well enough in both games, he's got blind spots for playerslike Jota and Moutinho who imo should not have played today. Joao has looked tired for a while now even before lockdown, he's played an awful lot of games and with his intensity at his age it's catching up with him and Jota is bang out of form again. The Diogo that played at Spurs plays today and we win the game still because we had opportunities but something just wasn't there whether it was his speed or his touch. Boly has gone from looking imperious to looking like a centre back that struggles to get in to Porto's team and that has definitely had a big effect on us, looks out of ides with the ball and very nervous when defending.

At this level if there's a weakness it generally gets exposed but on the last 2 games we have several. Some players look tired, some out of form, some injured and we have a manager that only really trusts 13 players when it comes down to massive games/moments and that is a serious issue. He's had moments like this before, changed things and got us back going forward and it is only 2 games so he could do it again but the team he picks, the intensity we play at and the quality we show is going to be really interesting on Sunday and it could make or break the season.

Says what I want to say but just so much better [emoji1376][emoji1376][emoji1376]

Bang on.

i mean, Nuno and all are great but is it not allowed to be bitterly disappointed too once in a while when things dont work..dont we strive forward all the time, sorry if i have contributed a lot to the negativity but i really appreciate all nuno and his team have done..just wanted a win today and he didnt really care..thats all

Back