• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Sheffield United 1 - 0 Wolves: The Verdict

Oh for christs sake. Accept it. We have been bloody awful this week. We have had one shot on target again for the second match running. We have not scored for the second match running. We look about as threatening as Alan Carr with a saucepan. These last two games were 6 pointers. If you cant perform in those games when can you? 8 wins against the bottom 5 a remarkable double against Citeh and pretty much fuck all else. Dont get me wrong , its still a good season but it could have been A GREAT SEASON.

Last season you spent every week moaning that we don’t beat the bottom teams. In fact I’m pretty confident you said you’d take us beating the bottom teams even if it meant worse results against the top teams.

We are still in Europe (good chance to progress into quarters) and on course to equal or probably better last seasons points total. That would still be a great season in pretty special circumstances

People were saying it before the goal tbf its not just about the result, it's the performances. We'll finish 6th to 8th, which is very good-to-great. But that shouldn't preclude a series of poor performances from discussion and/or criticism. 9 points from 5 is good form on the face of it, and of course grinding wins out when you're not purring is a good habit, but it's a worry that the not purring is more constant than the results, if that makes sense. It's a tight league, and Nuno is a naturally conservative manager, and by hook or by crook he'll get results, but the lack of creativity and ambition is bound to be a talking point, especially as our post lockdown fixtures are probably harder in the second half of the mini-season than they were in the first

Word

Well that was all a bit grim (including this thread) after first 10 ninutes thought we bossed the first half, just wouldn't fall for us. Weather conditions obviously had an effect, don't give me Sheffield managed better than we did, they didn't. Neither team looked like scoring second half, goal was a kick in the bollocks. Was surprised Nuno didn't use the bench after drinks break. Thought Boly was a bit below par Saturday, today was probably his worst game in a Wolves shirt, guess it happens to everyone occasionally. While we're all gutted by the last 2 results and performances, the level of negativity is shocking, we could win the next 3 on the bounce

In order to get higher up the table and maybe a CL place its about creativity in the end..creating more chances, because you will burn many..the good thing with creating those, the others wont at the same time...and defending well the other..consistnecy and organisation can take you far, but to the egde..needs something else

It's a strange one because of how well we have done that criticism seems to be really harsh but i think we've been pretty bad in our last 2 games. We looked very comfortable in the first 3 games soaking it up then hitting 3 poor teams with quality and i don't think anyone can really complain about them. I think if we are to progress there will come a time we we have to control those games by finishing teams off earlier and scoring 3 or 4 but i wasn't too worried about that.

I am very worried about the last 2 performances though and Nuno which i don't think anyone can really argue with. He's not utilised his squad well enough in both games, he's got blind spots for playerslike Jota and Moutinho who imo should not have played today. Joao has looked tired for a while now even before lockdown, he's played an awful lot of games and with his intensity at his age it's catching up with him and Jota is bang out of form again. The Diogo that played at Spurs plays today and we win the game still because we had opportunities but something just wasn't there whether it was his speed or his touch. Boly has gone from looking imperious to looking like a centre back that struggles to get in to Porto's team and that has definitely had a big effect on us, looks out of ides with the ball and very nervous when defending.

At this level if there's a weakness it generally gets exposed but on the last 2 games we have several. Some players look tired, some out of form, some injured and we have a manager that only really trusts 13 players when it comes down to massive games/moments and that is a serious issue. He's had moments like this before, changed things and got us back going forward and it is only 2 games so he could do it again but the team he picks, the intensity we play at and the quality we show is going to be really interesting on Sunday and it could make or break the season.
This post is spot on, walks the line between the self righteous pomposity on one side and the lack of awareness of where we've come from and where we are at on the other

Well we haven't, have we.

WTF?

Yes we have. We have sucked at home to Arsenal and away to Sheffield. Pretty much everyone agrees. We have lacked punch , thought and creativity and have caused both Arsenal and Sheffield nearly zero problems.We have had two shots on target and scored no goals. One of those shots cams 30 seconds into a game so reality says its 1 shot in 179 minutes. Thats not good enough full stop. Thats dross. Thats indefensible. Or are we now aiming for 17th place? Last I read on here we wanted the CL.Thats a helluva climbdown!

Nope, the team are happy to take the plaudits and they talk about keeping their feet on the ground and remaining focussed. They can have the stick for this week too as it is 100% deserved. In two matches no player has deserved a score above 6.Try saying the same for the teams above us.

People were saying it before the goal tbf its not just about the result, it's the performances. We'll finish 6th to 8th, which is very good-to-great. But that shouldn't preclude a series of poor performances from discussion and/or criticism. 9 points from 5 is good form on the face of it, and of course grinding wins out when you're not purring is a good habit, but it's a worry that the not purring is more constant than the results, if that makes sense. It's a tight league, and Nuno is a naturally conservative manager, and by hook or by crook he'll get results, but the lack of creativity and ambition is bound to be a talking point, especially as our post lockdown fixtures are probably harder in the second half of the mini-season than they were in the first

Matchday threaders would moan that Keira Knightly wore a touch too much lipstick if she were blowing them off. I don't really care what's said in game as it's 99% nonsense.

Not even what I asked anyway, is it. If that finishes 0-0 because the corner's scuffed, or the ref erroneously gives a goal kick in the first place, or we don't get a wrong free kick given against Doc in the first place, or the header clips the post and goes wide, I guarantee you that people are not questioning our entire approach and claiming we were "awful".

Well that was all a bit grim (including this thread) after first 10 ninutes thought we bossed the first half, just wouldn't fall for us. Weather conditions obviously had an effect, don't give me Sheffield managed better than we did, they didn't. Neither team looked like scoring second half, goal was a kick in the bollocks. Was surprised Nuno didn't use the bench after drinks break. Thought Boly was a bit below par Saturday, today was probably his worst game in a Wolves shirt, guess it happens to everyone occasionally. While we're all gutted by the last 2 results and performances, the level of negativity is shocking, we could win the next 3 on the bounce

If we do I will happily donate £100 to the charity of your choice.

On the last two performances my money is safe.

I said in a different thread that the performance is judged more on the scoreline than the actual performance.

The last 5 games have kind of proved that

Matchday threaders would moan that Keira Knightly wore a touch too much lipstick if she were blowing them off. I don't really care what's said in game as it's 99% nonsense.

Not even what I asked anyway, is it. If that finishes 0-0 because the corner's scuffed, or the ref erroneously gives a goal kick in the first place, or we don't get a wrong free kick given against Doc in the first place, or the header clips the post and goes wide, I guarantee you that people are not questioning our entire approach and claiming we were "awful".

Sorry. If it finishes 0-0 I am saying its an opportunity missed but at least they did not gain ground.The fact they won does not change 1 shot on target in 179 minutes over two games. I would be squealing like a stuck pig even if they hadnt scored. The fact they did makes me even more annoyed

Not sure the goal makes a difference to people’s thoughts. Well I know it didn’t/doesn’t affect mine.

WTF?

Yes we have. We have sucked at home to Arsenal and away to Sheffield. Pretty much everyone agrees. We have lacked punch , thought and creativity and have caused both Arsenal and Sheffield nearly zero problems.We have had two shots on target and scored no goals. One of those shots cams 30 seconds into a game so reality says its 1 shot in 179 minutes. Thats not good enough full stop. Thats dross. Thats indefensible. Or are we now aiming for 17th place? Last I read on here we wanted the CL.Thats a helluva climbdown!

Nope, the team are happy to take the plaudits and they talk about keeping their feet on the ground and remaining focussed. They can have the stick for this week too as it is 100% deserved. In two matches no player has deserved a score above 6.Try saying the same for the teams above us.

Ridiculous hyperbole on so many levels.

I think I'll leave it for now, I've made my point.

I said in a different thread that the performance is judged more on the scoreline than the actual performance.

The last 5 games have kind of proved that

we played well v West Ham
OK v Bournemouth and Villa
Poor v Sheffield
Awful v Arsenal

Is that fair?

football is about scoring more goals than your opponent..simple right...

'people wouldn't be saying we were awful if that had finished 0-0'
'people were saying it in the match thread'
'that doesn't count because I don't agree with those people'

'people wouldn't be saying we were awful if that had finished 0-0'
'people were saying it in the match thread'
'that doesn't count because I don't agree with those people'

I haven't read the match thread, numbnuts. Wasn't even online. I've read enough to know though (and to know never to bother again).

Anyway, we definitely need to find solutions to create chances more consistently, especially in circumstances where the game is slower due to the three months off. Jota has looked the only one capable of drawing opponents out in that respect for me so has to stay in. I would play Podence or Neto (fitness dependant) on the right against Everton. Traore hasn’t done anything wrong but it’s definitely too predictable at this point, he looks most threatening when he has space through the middle which is obviously not happening that often for him lately.

Ridiculous hyperbole on so many levels.

I think I'll leave it for now, I've made my point.

Sorry old mate. I dont know what games you have been watching but they clearly are not the same ones on my telly. Its ok for you to say ho hum never mind , bad day at the office once but when we do the same 5 days later and create the square root of fuck all again then its not hyperbole. Its a critique of the performance. Its been a really shite 5 days when we have seemed to play for two draws, created nothing and lost twice. I cant see anything other than that. Everton is now must win.

Anyway, we definitely need to find solutions to create chances more consistently, especially in circumstances where the game is slower due to the three months off. Jota has looked the only one capable of drawing opponents out in that respect for me so has to stay in. I would play Podence or Neto (fitness dependant) on the right against Everton. Traore hasn’t done anything wrong but it’s definitely too predictable at this point, he looks most threatening when he has space through the middle which is obviously not happening that often for him lately.

Respect you on level of footballing and studying and such, great to see us needing more creativity..but dont know what youre talking about Traore not creating, he is about the only one..one touch and its a good cross in the box..doenst matter if they are 10 defendeing him...Jota, is falling over, has been great some games in the El and really rate him too but...come on..yes, we missed Neto today, but WHY wasnt Podence given a fair chance..not disrespecting Donck, he is a fine balanced international, or even box to box mid..

I keep going back to the shoulder with Traoré. It's clearly weighing on his mind.

Doherty is the one we need to bench IMO. He just looked so sloppy today.

Sent from my GM1920 using Tapatalk

Back