• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Sheffield United 1 - 0 Wolves: The Verdict

The most annoying thing about their goal was it showed that if you play the ball into the right area with pace it is very difficult to defend. Compare this with the floaty crap we serve up, interspersed with short corners where it is not unusual for the ball to get nowhere near the box.

Two of our last theee goals were scored by superb crosses at pace.

Our xG last night - in a game where we really needed to be proactive - was 0.48: with the exception of Newcastle at City, that's the lowest xG of any Prem team in the last week.

That’s pretty damning - it was 0.7 against villa and 0.99 against arsenal as well, we are really struggling to create chances other than one of our front three doing something special.

That’s pretty damning - it was 0.7 against villa and 0.99 against arsenal as well, we are really struggling to create chances other than one of our front three doing something special.

Yeah, defensively we don't have a huge amount of issues (though I thought Boly was off it last night a bit) - it's just creating more consistently. Just as we won't keep conceding like in the last two games where we restrict the opposition fairly well, we can't expect to keep scoring off the only chance we have.

Their goal was just one of those balls that just misses the defender's head by just enough to be perfect for the scorer. We're talking inches. That happens plenty with headed goals.
a71dbd359fdd42f431a1db4fed52e1a9.jpg

We’re not playing well at the moment, I’m not sure why people are being so defensive about it...

"In my laundry, you won't find 'clean' and 'dirty' - there are many subtle levels...." Peter Venkman

I am one of those being 'defensive', but you won't find me arguing that we've played well because we haven't. I'm not saying 'everything is fine, we've played well in the past few games' My main objection at the moment is just how quick some people (note 'some' and not 'everyone') are to vent their absolute disgust with how we're playing, and going completely over the top with the levels of criticism. It pisses me off TBQH - criticism is to be expected when we don't play well, and I would never argue otherwise. But honestly, some of the nonsense in here is absolutely ridiculous and it doesn't bear any resemblance to what is actually happening on the pitch.

Why does everything have to be so black and white? Are we playing well at the moment? No. Are we playing appallingly at the moment? No. We've not been that bad. Are some of our starting XI 'good enough'? Well, quite clearly yes - and a couple of sub-par performances aren't going to change my mind when they've played well far more often than not.

Ah well - one thing no-one can disagree with is that an improvement is needed against Everton. Fingers crossed....

Kept of the site for a few hours stop any knee Jerk reactions.

It was not good it was actually pretty shite .
The ball just would not drop for us in dangerous areas.
1st half was on solid threatening on the break causing problems.

Second half we just conceded ground against a route 1 physical team we just let them lump balls in the air.

The change should have been Neto for Traore he would have given us more threat going forward.

It looked for for ever a 0-0 one decent delivery from a corner mout were you watching?

Worst part of the night having my Man U supporting pool players come traipsing in at 9 oclock to play pool, drink and basically rip the piss.

Fucking hope Leicester and Chelsea win every game from now to end of the season (except Chelsea's last one.)
Then we beat them in the Europa League final.

My one day a week off is Today so I am of to the beach. To drink Pink G&T, top up the tan, and practice my Spanish given we go to a small Spanish local beach with few Tourists and the Chiringito staff speak no English.

Should be good to have a chat about Futbòl, Equipo de Real Madrid , y CFC Malàga.

Biggest immigrant supported team in Spain. We are the Giri Army.

"In my laundry, you won't find 'clean' and 'dirty' - there are many subtle levels...." Peter Venkman

I am one of those being 'defensive', but you won't find me arguing that we've played well because we haven't. I'm not saying 'everything is fine, we've played well in the past few games' My main objection at the moment is just how quick some people (note 'some' and not 'everyone') are to vent their absolute disgust with how we're playing, and going completely over the top with the levels of criticism. It pisses me off TBQH - criticism is to be expected when we don't play well, and I would never argue otherwise. But honestly, some of the nonsense in here is absolutely ridiculous and it doesn't bear any resemblance to what is actually happening on the pitch.

Why does everything have to be so black and white? Are we playing well at the moment? No. Are we playing appallingly at the moment? No. We've not been that bad. Are some of our starting XI 'good enough'? Well, quite clearly yes - and a couple of sub-par performances aren't going to change my mind when they've played well far more often than not.

Ah well - one thing no-one can disagree with is that an improvement is needed against Everton. Fingers crossed....

This post perfectly sums up my feelings!

I've just looked at the table and we are 6th (yes 6th) in the Premier League and it is in our own hands to finish there. We're also in the last 16 of the Europa League with a home tie to get into the Quarter finals. These are still happy days to be a Wolves fan!

I quite enjoyed the game last night as there seemed to far more intensity than certainly the first three post lockdown games. Sheffield and Arsenal both pressed us well and whilst we lost both games there wasn't a lot in either of them bar the last few minutes of the Arsenal game when we were chasing it. I get the criticism to a certain extent as we weren't at our best but you have to give a degree of credit to the opposition.

Kept of the site for a few hours stop any knee Jerk reactions.

It was not good it was actually pretty shite .
The ball just would not drop for us in dangerous areas.
1st half was on solid threatening on the break causing problems.

Second half we just conceded ground against a route 1 physical team we just let them lump balls in the air.

The change should have been Neto for Traore he would have given us more threat going forward.

It looked for for ever a 0-0 one decent delivery from a corner mout were you watching?

Worst part of the night having my Man U supporting pool players come traipsing in at 9 oclock to play pool, drink and basically rip the piss.

Fucking hope Leicester and Chelsea win every game from now to end of the season (except Chelsea's last one.)
Then we beat them in the Europa League final.

My one day a week off is Today so I am of to the beach. To drink Pink G&T, top up the tan, and practice my Spanish given we go to a small Spanish local beach with few Tourists and the Chiringito staff speak no English.

Should be good to have a chat about Futbòl, Equipo de Real Madrid , y CFC Malàga.

Biggest immigrant supported team in Spain. We are the Giri Army.

Neto wasn’t on the bench. He was injured.

Their goal was just one of those balls that just misses the defender's head by just enough to be perfect for the scorer. We're talking inches. That happens plenty with headed goals.
a71dbd359fdd42f431a1db4fed52e1a9.jpg

I still think its on Jonny to stop the run better.

Agree with that, but the problem I perceive (and I could be wrong) is that people on here are Ok if your ecstatic and overjoyed with a win but you are not allowed to be critical if you lose, the problem is not so much black and white as white and a sort of greyish. Agree some of the things said on here and the match thread are embarrassing but that's the heat of the moment (berating Jota... really ??) I mean I f-bombed and to be truthful if the game didn't end up 0-0 we were going to lose back end of the second half :)

Yeah, defensively we don't have a huge amount of issues (though I thought Boly was off it last night a bit) - it's just creating more consistently. Just as we won't keep conceding like in the last two games where we restrict the opposition fairly well, we can't expect to keep scoring off the only chance we have.

This sums it up perfectly for me.

Meh, was pissed to loose that one, more so as I'd been out with the family for a meal in the pub, and then had to watch the recording.

Thought we played better in the first half but a couple of things didn't come off, small margins and all that. The second half we let go of the control slightly and they grew into the game.

I'm not too downbeat but I do feel the Jimenez is not on his game, when he first came here and wasn't scoring he was getting a bit of grief from the fans (remember that) I couldn't believe it as he offered so much to our game and was pivotal to how we set up, either I've become snow blind (for want of a better phrase) to his contribution or it has reduced of late.

To be honest I don't think we've been playing well from the games I have seen, seem to be a little less confident of each other since we've come back. Still its been a great season just don't want to see it fizzle out

Tim Spiers makes a good point on Twitter - same team (just Donk at the back for Boly) went to Arsenal early in season, "played with swagger and verve" and had 24 shots. Now 6 shots on target in 4 games. So what's changed?

Jimenez probably has his mind on other things at the minute,his missis is due to drop Jimenez Jr any day now,that must be distracting and will be for a while later as well.
Or you could say he's a highly paid professional athlete get on with it

Tim Spiers makes a good point on Twitter - same team (just Donk at the back for Boly) went to Arsenal early in season, "played with swagger and verve" and had 24 shots. Now 6 shots on target in 4 games. So what's changed?

The Arsenal manager?

I disagree that it is a good point. You can only play what is front of you and although the personnel may have been similar we were up against a very different Arsenal team. Arsenal pressed us well and were far better as a defensive unit.

I think expecting a team to play exactly how they did earlier in the season in the current circumstances is more than a little unfair. It's an entirely different ball game at the moment, and you can see that in damned near every match that has taken place since the restart.

I do think that's feeding into Nuno's inherent conservatism and has tripped us up quite badly in the last few, though.

Back