• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Sheffield United 1 - 0 Wolves: The Verdict

He's a human being first and foremost, he would have to be psychotic not to let that effect you! Yes it wasn't so much a criticism more an observation.

Interesting point about the Arsenal game, although I have no answer it seems to show that we aren't really clicking at present, for what reason that may be we can only summarise on

The Arsenal manager?

I disagree that it is a good point. You can only play what is front of you and although the personnel may have been similar we were up against a very different Arsenal team. Arsenal pressed us well and were far better as a defensive unit.

And the other three games?

And the other three games?

I was comparing the Arsenal game but in answer to your question Bournemouth, West Ham and Villa set up negatively against us in. I'd say that if we had played with crowds there would have been far more opportunities in the away games as their fans would have been driving them forward and leaving spaces for us to exploit. The sterile atmosphere has led to teams being far better at keeping a defensive shape.

Every game post lockdown, we've set out to make it it a 30 minute game. Sometimes we nick a goal, sometimes we slip up. I personally think that's too big of a risk, when we could just let good, attacking footballers play good, attacking football.

Bournemouth and arsenal were at home, sheff Utd and villa away. 6 shots on target in total in all four games, and under 1 xg in each of those games for me shows that we are not set up to create chances at the moment.

Excellent defensively, but poor going forwards. Earlier in the season our wing backs were producing far more - Jonny and Diogo were linking up excellently, the same for Doc and Traore, with Jiminez linking up really productively with the other two forwards. None of those are really clicking now, and it can’t all be the crowds.

3-5-2 also doesn’t work because Donk isn’t a creative player and we’re asking him to do a role (from an attacking, break past the strikers and help to create chances/situations perspective) that he can’t do.

YW was exactly right that (and I’m paraphrasing) whilst we are defending well and wouldn’t expect to concede many with the way we play, we also can’t expect to create under 1xg each game and win many either.

Every game post lockdown, we've set out to make it it a 30 minute game. Sometimes we nick a goal, sometimes we slip up. I personally think that's too big of a risk, when we could just let good, attacking footballers play good, attacking football.

Yes, thats what frustrates me..we have better players than many other teams but just play the controlled game instead of really going for the win..

If we're playing as shit as everyone says and still being in games (rather than being battered out of sight) then I'll take that as progress.

If we're playing as shit as everyone says and still being in games (rather than being battered out of sight) then I'll take that as progress.

That’s fine if your sights are set on lower mid table avoiding relegation.

Exactly, reading all this i feel like we were gubbed 5-0 against Arsenal and Sheff U.

Everyone is talking about how few shots on goal we have created (which is convenient as it doesn't acknowledge us hitting the bar or Traore being 1 on 1 v Arsenal) but equally as important is how many genuine chances have we given away?

It's fine margins currently. we could easily have got lucky and won against Arsenal and drawn yesterday.

To get to the next level in terms of progress we have to make those games fewer by being a bit more proactive and creating more whilst maintaining our solid foundations. give ourselves the chance to rest at 2/3 nil up. Much easier said than done (and maybe isn't even in line with Nuno's philosophy anyway). I have faith that we can do that as the progress from last season in turning stupid defeats into draws (or wins against bottom sides). If we finish sixth/seventh I think recruitment will be key as it hasn't been ideal last two windows and it could really help us push on again. Hopefully work is being done in the background at the moment for that.

Bloody hell 6 pages already on this thread, this thread is starting to look like one from 2011/12 or the12/13 season when had plenty of reasons to be aggrieved.
Can’t butter up last night it was poor as were both sides. I understand Nuno view point on a small squad size. I’d like to see a bit more squad pressure being applied in certain areas. Doherty, Boly, Neves, Moutihno, and Jimenez know they’re starting as long as they are fit.

Bloody hell 6 pages already on this thread, this thread is starting to look like one from 2011/12 or the12/13 season when had plenty of reasons to be aggrieved.
Can’t butter up last night it was poor as were both sides. I understand Nuno view point on a small squad size. I’d like to see a bit more squad pressure being applied in certain areas. Doherty, Boly, Neves, Moutihno, and Jimenez know they’re starting as long as they are fit.

You can say that about 9 players. Only Traore, Donck and Jota it doesn't apply to from the first 12

More I think about it yesterday's goal reminds me a bit of Laportes against us last season. Good delivery and once he got the drop on the defence the goal was inevitable. Oddly it was Boly beaten in that scenario too. I'm not too concerned about how we conceded, it happens, few more pressing issues we need to correct themselves imo.

We cant expect to win and play well in every game we play.

Absolutely not - and one of the great things of football is that the best team doesn’t always win.

However - we have aims to be a team that qualifies for Europe, and consistent runs of under 1xg won’t allow us to do that.

I am all for grinding out results and conserving energy if we are determined to have a small squad. Setting up not to lose and nicking a goal or two is fine. But when it goes wrong like this week the tactic looks flawed. Anyone defending the creativity in four of the last five games where we total 5 shots on target is really wearing some rose tinted specs. If we had the number of shots on target against Arsenal or Sheffield that we did against West Ham we would have scored at least one goal in each game. A point against our two biggest rivals would have been fine for sixth place as it maintained distance. Now both can catch us. It's not hyperbole it's constructive criticism based on observation. If we have one shot and it goes in and we win 1 0 it's a great three points but I am still going to bemoan the lack of chances. That's all that is happening here.

As an aside I reckon we have 9 players who must be approaching 50 games this season. Coady must be on 100 on the bounce ?

I couldn't agree more. I can't say I've enjoyed any of our post-lockdown performances very much, even though 9 points brightened the experience. I can understand why Nuno does this but it was always likely to come back and bite us against teams with some proper football in them.

I'm sure we still have it in us to make the top 6 this season, but I can't see it happening if we carry on like this.

I am all for grinding out results and conserving energy if we are determined to have a small squad. Setting up not to lose and nicking a goal or two is fine. But when it goes wrong like this week the tactic looks flawed. Anyone defending the creativity in four of the last five games where we total 5 shots on target is really wearing some rose tinted specs. If we had the number of shots on target against Arsenal or Sheffield that we did against West Ham we would have scored at least one goal in each game. A point against our two biggest rivals would have been fine for sixth place as it maintained distance. Now both can catch us. It's not hyperbole it's constructive criticism based on observation. If we have one shot and it goes in and we win 1 0 it's a great three points but I am still going to bemoan the lack of chances. That's all that is happening here.

As an aside I reckon we have 9 players who must be approaching 50 games this season. Coady must be on 100 on the bounce ?

Coady has played every minute of premier league football since promotion. I don’t remember him missing a minute in the Europa. And I think he was ever present in the Championship season. So unless he missed a league cup game say I reckon he is on nearer 160-170 straight appearances.

Back