• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Sheffield Utd (A) - Verdict thread, 14/09/20

Not convinced by Buur at all.

Buur changed the game. We were struggling slightly before he came on (and struggling massively down our right defensively) and looked much much more comfortable once he came on.

Now I’m willing to accept it was the change in the system that did that, but he allowed us to put a defender in that position. He didn’t give the ball away.

He was never going to pull up any trees when he came on, but he solidified that right hand side.

Great start to the season, quick out the blocks, 2 good early goals and bossed the first half. Could have had a couple more too. Sheffield obviously came on strong second half but we defended superbly. Think the subs made a difference, we'd been second best for a while but then got some control back. Thought Burr did ok and nice to see Vitinha get some game time.
Saiss motm for me, didn't put a foot wrong defensively, got a goal and almost another, some good passes out from the back too, not sure why people think he needs upgrading really. Raul looked very fresh and back to his best.
If I'm going to be hyper critical, maybe could have retained the ball a bit better, breaking out of defence when under pressure but you've got to give Sheffield credit for pressing and work rate for that.
All in all very satisfactory

Saiss was absolutely exceptional. Easily MotM. Felt sorry for Traore as he was trying to do something he can’t, you could see the difference in his game when he moved forward. Raul’s finish was world class, he really is one of the best strikers in the world. Marcal looked solid if not very adventurous and he looks like a very good squad addition.

Bring on that RWB and we’re going to be right up there, we hardly used Neves and managed to leave Jota and Fabio on the bench with Vitinha only getting a few minutes as well, looks like we’ve got an embarrassment of riches.

And if we want a more complete CF than Raul then we are looking at the thick end of £100m

More. I don’t think you’ll get a more complete CF than Raul at the moment anyway. He’s world class.

Saiss MOTM for sure. Did his job, cleared off the line, scored, a couple of incisive forward runs too.

Marcal nice and steady, he won't let us down. Adama's skillset doesn't really suit a lot of the RWB role but he never hid and when he moved further upfield he looked a different beast.

As everyone has said, genuine options in the squad now, I'm sure we'll add to it too in the coming days

Not convinced by Buur at all.

Think thats a bit harsh, doubt he will be a Wolves player longterm but Nuno obviously told him what he expected from him and he did that imo. Kept it simple and with him on and Traore further forward think we got control of the game back when Sheffield were looking threatening

We're fourth lads, one place above Liverpool :)

and I enjoyed the game. it was a decent if scrappy at times match. Decent tempo from both teams. Sheffield need goals. Thats their biggest worry. Sharp is 34 and made great runs. McBurnie is a bit of a lump. Fleck looked decent. Not keen on Baldock or Stephens. No pace and little ability. Ramsdale shown up for the keeper he is in comparison to Henderson. Lower half for me -could be dragged into a bottom 5 dogfight without goals because they will not be as tight as last year with only 39 conceded.

Crazy that I’ve seen posts this evening saying they’re “not convinced” by both Burr and Marcal. Marcal was excellent - worked so hard. You can see he’s a proper defender and for his first game, with no pre-season, no warm up games, in a new league with new players around him - I thought he was superb. Burr kept it simple and helped close the game out. Weird to criticise him.

Important to not get too carried away, though. They hit the post, smashed one over from just outside the six yard box (when they got the wrong side of Adama) and it was harder for Sharp to not pass to McBurnie who had a tap in to an empty net. So yes, it was an extremely encouraging performance but Nuno will have already started dissecting the performance, that much is guaranteed.

We are going to give City a good game next week.

Crazy that I’ve seen posts this evening saying they’re “not convinced” by both Burr and Marcal. Marcal was excellent - worked so hard. You can see he’s a proper defender and for his first game, with no pre-season, no warm up games, in a new league with new players around him - I thought he was superb. Burr kept it simple and helped close the game out. Weird to criticise him.

Important to not get too carried away. They hit the post, smashed one over from just outside the six yard box (when they got the wrong side of Adama) and it was harder for Sharp to not pass to McBurnie who had a tap in to an empty net. So yes, it was an extremely encouraging performance but Nuno will have already started dissecting the performance, that much is guaranteed.

100% agreed on Marçal. So composed, looked like he'd played for Wolves for years.

Sent from my GM1920 using Tapatalk

Buur won't offer a thing offensively but I'm at ease with him.coming on to defend a lead as tonight. Kept it simple and we shut down any threat they had down that side.

You'd think we'll sign a much superior RWB in the coming days and then you get Jonny back so in a very limited role I've got no problem with him in the short term.

I think Marcal is going to be huge for us. He looked so assured and really liked the look of him.

A word for Saiss though. He was exceptional at both ends. Him overlapping and out Sheffield United-ing Sheffield United really did deserve a goal. He just gets better and better. There's a reason Paul Lambert is in League One.

Important to not get too carried away, though. They hit the post, smashed one over from just outside the six yard box (when they got the wrong side of Adama) and it was harder for Sharp to not pass to McBurnie who had a tap in to an empty net. So yes, it was an extremely encouraging performance but Nuno will have already started dissecting the performance, that much is guaranteed.

Where did you read comments about not being convinced about Marcal? If it's Twitter then it doesn't count as it's a fuckwit party on there.

Buur will never be a starting PL player but I don't mind him on the bench at all.

We also smashed one over from 6yds and hit the post twice and forcing a couple of decent saves. Important to have perspective.

Buur was OK but he isn't at this level at all and I expect him to go out on loan when we get a new RWB in.

Impressed with Marcal too, thought he was neat and tidy on the ball and not afraid to boot some shithouses when they needed it.

Feel free to quote me!

I just don’t think he’s a premier league footballer, I’ve seen enough of him over the years to not just judge him on a 10 minute cameo. Happy to be proved wrong.

I think everyone knows he’s not a PL footballer. I wouldn’t expect him to pull up trees in the championship.

But what he was today was a RB brought on to play RB. Simple instruction of stand in the right place and keep it simple. Which was an improvement on what Adama was offering there but then allowed Adama to play in a more effective position.

I think everyone knows he’s not a PL footballer. I wouldn’t expect him to pull up trees in the championship.

But what he was today was a RB brought on to play RB. Simple instruction of stand in the right place and keep it simple. Which was an improvement on what Adama was offering there but then allowed Adama to play in a more effective position.

Yep, totally agree, as soon as Burr came on they stopped being effective down our right, Burr just knew where to position himself, Adama doesn't.

Back