• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Sir Jack R.I.P

It might have been Ken Wheldon rather than Harry Marshall.

Ken Wheldon was very heavily involved. I remember the muttering sat the time when fans thought Doug Ellis might be Wolves owner. Natives and restless springs to mind...

B7UZjFACcAAP205.jpg

That's nice stuff from Robbie Keane. Looking at the reaction across the football world, it is incredible to see the enormous affection and respect for SJH. Apart from Peter Coates up in the Potteries I think he was the last of that breed.

Gibson at Boro is a brilliant chairman.

I don't think that the last game? IIRC the sun was out, we played millwall (?), did shaun bradbury score 2? Definitely sure it was sunny though!

Bradbury did score two, never to be seen again!

I don't have the details now (Kenny might) but our team on the final day of 92/93 is a sight to behold. Mark Turner for a start.

v Derby? It was a shocker of high levels. Damn the company that saw the death of Wolves-Stats and all that beautiful information to hand

I still have everything from 96/97 on my spreadsheets. Sadly all the rest of it has disappeared. All over some bollocks copyright claim on a photo which really was public domain. That's srs internet bsns.

Just reading the E&S tribute stuff to Sir Jack - and they have done a good job - Rachel HF brings up the story of us refunding the fans who went to Chesterfield. I am still a bit disappointed Paddy got a refund despite not producing a ticket, just encourages chancers IMO/IMV.

Oi! That ticket melted in my trouser pocket! It was like my jeans had gone through the laundry with me still in them. But the club took me on my word, and that was a bloody brilliant gesture.

With the kind permission of Visage, the following is a mark of respect to Sir Jack from Manhattan Project, a fomer member of this forum.

" I was gutted to hear of the death of Sir Jack Hayward. Not only did he pump millions of his own money into the club, but he was a fan who loved Wolves. He built the ground, gave successive managers loads of money, yet for some strange reason the money dried up when we got to the Prem via the play offs. But that is in the past, I will always have fond memories of Sir Jack and what he did for the Wolves. Though he did employ Moxey..., but I will let him off for that .

Rest in peace Jack. You will meet some Wolves greats in heaven."

Great, I couldn't wait to hear from him and his praise damned with nonsense arguments.

Just think where we'd have been if Sir Jack hadn't have been outbid with three minutes to go by you-know-who in 1982. One of the great "what ifs" of Wolves history that one.

We were lucky to have Sir Jack as one of us.

Thanks, Sir Jack, for all that you gave us through a never-to-be-forgotten era for the club and its supporters. It is tragic that we couldn't all get to live the dream that was so close on so many occasions. But no doubt you're "lovin' it" where you are now!

Back