• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Southampton 1-2 Wolves: Verdict Thread

Costa was great when he came on and was unlucky not to score. Don’t understand the hate he gets.

Hate is a bit much, I think. I was questioning it when he came on ahead of Raul, felt we needed more legs and movement up front. And let's face it, he isn't the player he was, he's rarely come close to scoring (albeit that is not entirely his fault, we weren't exactly giving him much to work with)

He did a good job today, gave their CBs something to think about (punting it up to Cunha was *not* working) and worked hard to help close the game out.

Won’t go down in history as a great performance, however since the World Cup we have taken 3 points from West Ham, Everton and now Southampton, all teams around us. Not a bad habit that

Yeah Costa did well just occupying their CBs and creating a bit of chaos. I mean he's still not up to it in this league, but he did a job when he came on.

Just noticed that Sarabia gave a sneaky little push to cause the collision leading to Gomes’s goal

Costa was great when he came on and was unlucky not to score. Don’t understand the hate he gets.
I thought he struggled first ten or so that he was on but then threw himself about a bit quite well

I hope Saints fans are moaning that Gomes got lucky for his goal in getting the ball back from his first shot.

Same as your goal lads. Literally bounced off Alcaraz's back for his first shot, and then rebounded straight back to his feet.

Really poor for so much of that game. But we fought and we won, and made changes to impact the game.

Fucking hell referee. What on earth are you thinking. All over the place. Mind you that wasn't why we were rubbish, we just were. It's inexcusable though. Against anyone competent that's a loss - a goal start, a man down and an hour to go. Fortunately Bible Boy is an embarrassingly poor manager.

Great finish by Gomes.

13 points from 7 games under Lopetegui. Lage got 11 points from his final 22 games. The manager is EVERYTHING at this level.

Hate is a bit much, I think. I was questioning it when he came on ahead of Raul, felt we needed more legs and movement up front. And let's face it, he isn't the player he was, he's rarely come close to scoring (albeit that is not entirely his fault, we weren't exactly giving him much to work with)

He did a good job today, gave their CBs something to think about (punting it up to Cunha was *not* working) and worked hard to help close the game out.
We didn’t need legs, we needed someone who could hold it. He did that. Cunha was not doing it at all

He gets hate all the time saying he shouldn’t even be here, traffic cone etc. it’s just weird when all his last few appearances have actually been good.
Yeah Costa did well just occupying their CBs and creating a bit of chaos. I mean he's still not up to it in this league, but he did a job when he came on.
So by “doing a job” he is up to it?

We didn’t need legs, we needed someone who could hold it. He did that. Cunha was not doing it at all

He gets hate all the time saying he shouldn’t even be here, traffic cone etc. it’s just weird when all his last few appearances have actually been good.

So by “doing a job” he is up to it?
He did a specific job of getting in their faces and being aggressive.

By not up to it, I mean scoring goals at this level.

No doubt MOTD will shrug off the red card tonight by saying some apologistic balls like "we don't know what's been said, so...."

No doubt MOTD will shrug off the red card tonight by saying some apologistic balls like "we don't know what's been said, so...."
He'd lost control before that, some real erratic stuff (I won't really complain about Mario's first yellow, but Joao got a far worse one from Salisu and nothing).

It's really bad on his part, I have no idea what he's thinking. Lemina doesn't even do anything.

To be fair we don't but the official reason is running aggressively at the ref.

I would suggest that ref should never leave his house if he gets scared so easily

There were a dozen fouls he showed no cards for that were straight reds relative to Lemons' second yellow.

Worse than that jacked ref we got in the Champ a few times. Steve Martin?

Sky said the red card was because Lemina ran aggressively towards the referee - bizarre whatever it is.

This game underlines the difference a quality manager makes, reminiscent of some of our comebacks at Southampton under Nuno. Saints must absolutely hate playing us, lost to us at home 4 seasons in a row now and took the lead in three of those!

And by the way, Jones is absolutely miles worse than Bruno Lage! Jones is genuinely approaching Dean Saunders levels for me, I'm very glad we won as I've been telling everyone how shit he is for weeks.

Nathan Jones just seems a really shit Tony Pulis. Just hoofs, second balls, set pieces.

Surface seemed awful as well. Almost like they’d deliberately gone over it with a plough and not watered it at all so was dry, slow and bobbly. Is that part of his plan or just coincidence.

They didn’t really trouble us at all second half and we were controlling the game. How do you allow a non top 6 side to control the game for that long with a man less in your own back yard? The way we were passing it around you couldn’t even tell we were a man down and we weren’t even playing well.

JL fixed the problems and we’ve got the result despite the joke first half refereeing display. Get the win next week and we’ve got a ton of breathing space

Back