• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

SPOTY - the twelve are announced

A very dull list. The lack of an ashes winning cricketer is poor.

My predictions

1. Murray
2. Froome
3. Hamilton
4. Fury

Everyone else.

Murray is part of a team, surely (which will win that award). As a singles player he's just had an ok/decent year.

Should be Fury, as much as I loathe him. Well actually it should be Jimmy Anderson but he isn't on there.

Jessica Ennis for me, followed by Froome.

Not really interested in tennis, plus outside of the Davies cup Murray has hardly been outstanding this year. Fury is a nob and nowhere near on par with previous boxers who have won - not to say it's not a great achievement, but winning one terrible fight isn't up there with others achievements, Froome especially.

BBC have decided the list. They have no cricket rights. They can show bits of Froome easily as they can pick them up from ITV or Eurosport.

Plus he doesn't have much of a personality... :)

Suppose it would be a rather short short list if that were taken into account.

Has to be Fury, big underdog going into the fight and proved a lot of doubters wrong.
No Jo Root or Jimmy Anderson is disgraceful in a ashes winning year when were massive underdogs going into it. The only reasons for exclusion would be the World Cup debacle earlier in the year.

Jimmy Anderson broke a record set around 30 years ago, he is now a legend of English cricket, for him to not be in the top fucking dozen is a disgrace.

Jimmy Anderson broke a record set around 30 years ago, he is now a legend of English cricket, for him to not be in the top fucking dozen is a disgrace.

Agreed DW. Anderson is among the all time greats of England bowlers, yet is ignored by the BBC.

Out of the list put forward, I think Murray will win.

Lets look at the list

Lizzy Armitstead - why? Yes a world road race champion, but only one cyclist is going to win and that is Froome - TDF is a different level achievement, especially as a second win, which is new territory for British cycling. Pointless shortlist.
Lucy Bronze - the name is accurate, the team came third. A laudable achievement, and they should be gallant nominees in the team award but really?
Jessica Ennis-Hill - definitely should be on the list
Mo Farah - definitely should be on the list
Chris Froome - definitely should be on the list
Tyson Fury - definitely should be on the list
Lewis Hamilton - definitely should be on the list
Andy Murray - as DW has pointed out, the Davis Cup is a team event. Saying that, he virtually won it on his own so rightly on the list, even if the rest of the year was patchy
Adam Peaty - he won two world titles. Pretty impressive achievement.
Greg Rutherford - completed the set of world titles. Well earned nomination. However, his distances aren't exactly Bob Beamon.
Kevin Sinfield - what the hell? He has been magnificent throughout a great Rugby League career. However, why now? Leeds have been winning shit for years. A treble is impressive but it feels like a sympathy you are retiring from league nomination.
Max Whitlock - he is a world champion and the first ever in his sport so it seems fair enough

There was space in that list for Jimmy Anderson.

Lets look at the list

Lizzy Armitstead - why?

I'm guessing to keep the % of women enough to stop people kicking off. Remember all the fuss when no women made it on to the shortlist.

Lets look at the list

Lizzy Armitstead - why? Yes a world road race champion, but only one cyclist is going to win and that is Froome - TDF is a different level achievement, especially as a second win, which is new territory for British cycling. Pointless shortlist.
Lucy Bronze - the name is accurate, the team came third. A laudable achievement, and they should be gallant nominees in the team award but really?
Jessica Ennis-Hill - definitely should be on the list
Mo Farah - definitely should be on the list
Chris Froome - definitely should be on the list
Tyson Fury - definitely should be on the list
Lewis Hamilton - definitely should be on the list
Andy Murray - as DW has pointed out, the Davis Cup is a team event. Saying that, he virtually won it on his own so rightly on the list, even if the rest of the year was patchy
Adam Peaty - he won two world titles. Pretty impressive achievement.
Greg Rutherford - completed the set of world titles. Well earned nomination. However, his distances aren't exactly Bob Beamon.
Kevin Sinfield - what the hell? He has been magnificent throughout a great Rugby League career. However, why now? Leeds have been winning shit for years. A treble is impressive but it feels like a sympathy you are retiring from league nomination.
Max Whitlock - he is a world champion and the first ever in his sport so it seems fair enough

There was space in that list for Jimmy Anderson.

Agree with all of that Paddy. Out of the ones that should be on the list, JEH has done what she did this year before, Ditto Farah, Froome, Hamilton. Murray beat blokes he beat all year but in a different contest. Fury surprised me by winning and it was a fantastic victory but his division is poor and there are better British boxers out there. Peaty's achievement was outstanding and if it was an Olympic year he may be in with a chance but not this time. Whitlock won't be known to the majority of the British public which just leaves Greg Rutherford who has proved to be a magnificent performer in major competitions but doesn't get the plaudits he deserves due to other successful British athletes being around in the same era.

I will probably vote for Rutherford or Peaty knowing full well that neither will win.

I'm guessing to keep the % of women enough to stop people kicking off. Remember all the fuss when no women made it on to the shortlist.

I guess that's the reason for the bang average women's footballer being on there too.

I'm glad GB won the Davis cup or we'd have to suffer the presenters fawning over what was some of the worst football from an England team I've seen since Graham Taylor.

Greg Rutherford or Chris Froome for me (it would've been James Anderson as he should be on the list).

Stuart Broad also took the best figures in a test since Jim Laker (8-15) along with passing 300 wickets. Not even a mention.

Peaty is the one who's achieved something, but being in a minority sport will likely scupper his chances.

Jimmy Anderson broke a record set around 30 years ago, he is now a legend of English cricket, for him to not be in the top $#@!ing dozen is a disgrace.

Not having test cricket on a decent station is a disgrace

Sad not to see Froome at least in he top 3.

Nice to see Sir Jack Hayward feature in the memorials.

Surprised not to see our 15/16 season included.

Back