• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

SPOTY - the twelve are announced

Big surprise Murray wins, Davis cup win fair enough but apart from that it's been an average year for him.

The whole thing becomes more and more of an irrelevance every year. The award has always been SPOTY, but the programme for years was called the Sports Review of the Year. BBC have dropped that pretence now as they have so few sporting rights to actually show anything in the programme, and we also have a public vote which is purely there to glean a few more pennies from those that want to vote. Lowest common denominator Cowell-lite stuff.

It needs putting out to pasture.

Knocking Formula 1 on the head early too, another nail in the coffin, Government 1 - BBC 0.

Fuck all to do with the government really. BBC has a budget and wants to spend it on crap like Strictly.

Fuck all to do with the government really. BBC has a budget and wants to spend it on crap like Strictly.

I'd imagine Strictly generates a profit for the BBC though - they sell it abroad.

Maybe but John Whittingdale has always hated the BBC so sole rights going to Rupert will help him sleep even more comfortable at night.
Edit: just seen that Channel 4 have come in, next best thing.

The whole thing becomes more and more of an irrelevance every year. The award has always been SPOTY, but the programme for years was called the Sports Review of the Year. BBC have dropped that pretence now as they have so few sporting rights to actually show anything in the programme, and we also have a public vote which is purely there to glean a few more pennies from those that want to vote. Lowest common denominator Cowell-lite stuff.

It needs putting out to pasture.

Hasn't it always been a public vote? I'd say that a phone-call/online vote is less hassle than a postal vote.

I may be wrong, but before it was a phone vote I don't think there was a shortlist, so you could vote for whoever you wanted by postcard and the BBC couldn't gerrymander the show for the person they wanted to win

You are correct, because Bob Nudd the fisherman (the first man to win four world titles) used to win hands down every year, but the BBC didn't recognise fishing as a sport !

Bumping an old thread. Anyone watching? Seem to drag it out more and more each year.

Bumping an old thread. Anyone watching? Seem to drag it out more and more each year.

No mate , i am in the radio studio delivering a radio show and keeping an eye via the bbc online

With it being a public vote that was the most obvious shoe-in in history.

Back