• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2017 Window Thread

Time pressure, DW. Out of interest, how long did the 1500 words on FFP take you? Around 5 hours with the research?

More like 3,500 words ;)

Yeah, about that. Plus a load of tinkering about with it because I'm really annoying like that.

Previews are around 2,000 words normally and they take 2-3 hours. Then again I have to think up jokes, Timberland doesn't have to do that.

Been told today Dicko will be struggling for minutes under Nuno. Third/fourth choice no.9 by the time we have another striker on board and Cav back from suspension.

Cav isn't really an option for me through the middle. Look at the chance he missed on Saturday and the goal he scored...then again if it's him or Jota on the left when Helder is back, he's going to have a serious fight on his hands.

This is why 4-2-3-1 would be better...

More like 3,500 words ;)

Yeah, about that. Plus a load of tinkering about with it because I'm really annoying like that.

Previews are around 2,000 words normally and they take 2-3 hours. Then again I have to think up jokes, Timberland doesn't have to do that.

Plus finding a way to crowbar in a Saunders reference. That cant be easy.

Been told today Dicko will be struggling for minutes under Nuno. Third/fourth choice no.9 by the time we have another striker on board and Cav back from suspension.

interresting, thanks for the information..Nouha has looked sharp though in preseason

Although I don't think Nuno will want a typical target man as such I think whoever plays in the number 9 role is going to have to be decent back to goal, and good at finding pockets of space to hold the ball and bring the likes of Cav, Jota and Costa into play and I don't think that's really Dicko's game.

I don't see Cavaleiro as a permanent option there but in the system we are using I could see why he would be 3rd choice and Dicko 4th for that role (assuming Bonatini is ahead of both and we make another signing up front.)

More like 3,500 words ;)

Any decent writer is "annoying like that." Hemingway, "writing is re-writing." And sadly for you (and me) "Once writing has become your major vice and greatest pleasure, only death can cure it."

I agree. But overall the current version of FFP has probably limited the worst excesses of inequality at Championship level, which I see as a good thing, even though Wolves now have the richest owners at this level.
I disagree with this. The disparity between the haves and have nots in the Championship has never been greater due to the parachute payments now in place

Trying to get a Saunders reference & a Doherty joke must add time to your deliberations - you could save so much time

Those of us on here will know what is meant if you just add their names at the end & will make up our own comments.

I think parachute payments should be excluded from any FFP calculations. Parachute payments are there to help clubs manage a big revenue drop, not to spunk up the wall on new players

It's not fit for purpose. Middlesbrough is a great example, got promoted, relegated after one season, no massive wages to support, come down with shit loads of money and puts them in a significantly stronger position than they were beforehand.

It's not fit for purpose. Middlesbrough is a great example, got promoted, relegated after one season, no massive wages to support, come down with shit loads of money and puts them in a significantly stronger position than they were beforehand.

Then again - most sides get up and spunk a load of money on wages etc without putting relegation clauses in to try to attract players

When they go down again they are in the shit - don't disagree with your sentiment that they shouldn't do that & have only themselves to blame if they do

The Premier league should just cut them loose, but are very unlikely to do that

Burnley are a good example of getting promoted, but not spending above their level. They must be one of the best run clubs in the league.

That really doesn't surprise me. Will be interesting to see who the other striker coming in will be, whether it will be Gallagher on loan or whether we do actually have money left to buy a striker.

I imagine we'd only loan Mason if we can't convince someone to pay for him, hope he does alright and then get some money back in january.

As for Dicko that's not too surprising depending on who the next striker through the door is. Injuries and fixture pile ups will probably mean he gets some chances though it's up to him to make the most of it

Oh, I don't disagree it isn't going to change. Turkeys and Xmas, but it should be tiered. Teams like Villa and Newcastle who are less likely to have relegation clauses in their contracts who have been in the PL for say 5 seasons minimum get the maximum, the day trippers get a token amount. Any balance gets spread equally across the other 21 clubs

I actually thought Dicko looked much sharper this pre season. With the role the 9 is being asked to play I'd say having someone with the pace he does would be a handy thing to have on the bench from a managers perspective.

I'm told he's not Nuno's type of forward which isn't a surprise as he's not great technically. However, Nuno has been impressed with his attitude to training and trying to improve his game to fit in. I'm sure he'll get chances to start with but Nuno isn't convinced he'll be good enough. Wolves not looking to sell but if a decent bid came in they'd think about it a lot.

Back