• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2021 transfer window

Transfer Window for this summer is June 9 to August 31

So a few extra weeks this year to lose our shit when no one has signed.
Predictions for how many pages the transfer thread gets to?

I love reading people getting carried away.So much better that hundreds slitting their wrists in public.

Of course its probably going too far but fuck it, people go over the top after a defeat so why not go crazy after a *checks notes* 1-1 draw with an all but relegated team (lets not forget Klopp had his players saluting the fans after they drew with Albion a couple of years ago)

Mate, that isn't what you said, I literally quoted you.

You can think he has those attributes, that's fine, but he's never started a game for us in that position.
He has not played in that position.
When you watch him and again i am not saying he is going to be him.

He very much reminds me of Patrick Viera, in build, running style, look on the ball.
He looks a player, not sure he is ready for a full season, but i think with Neves, Mouthino, Dendonker, Otasowie, Vithana, and MGW we have more important positions to fill.

Goal Keeper - Ruddy will leave, and Rui is getting no younger
2 central defenders.
I dont want to see Saiss as a first choice central defender again.

Predictions for how many pages the transfer thread gets to?
From the 9th June I am going to delete the thread each time a day passes without a signing. Confident by the 13th August I will get a day off

I have mentioned before how into keeping and keeper talk I am, personally not a huge fan of Johnstone, he has that Butland level of stiffness to his movement, and whilst not a bad keeper I feel he is more of a Ben Foster level of keeper.

If that Rui rumour is true (only seen some of their games but the whoever the Roma keeper is has made a mistake in both Europa games I have seen recently) then Anthony Lopez from Lyon is who I would be considering. Been excellent when I have seen him.

We're not going to take a loss on Rui, why would we, we don't need to. He cost us £18m. No-one is giving us that in any climate for a 33 year old, let alone the current climate.

We're not going to take a loss on Rui, why would we, we don't need to. He cost us £18m. No-one is giving us that in any climate for a 33 year old, let alone the current climate.
He's got a year left hasn't he? And statistically he's been one of the worst keepers in the Prem this year.

I’m not sure where I am with Rui.

He’s been great for us but he’s far from irreplaceable and there’s probably better out there for not much money.

Hes made a lot of mistakes this season I know they all have) and gets beaten often when he most definitely shouldn’t.

As well as that, most of the big saves he makes are saves that he most definitely should be making (the two v Albion spring to mind).

So, I guess, I’m happy to keep him and equally happy to upgrade him.

I have mentioned before how into keeping and keeper talk I am, personally not a huge fan of Johnstone, he has that Butland level of stiffness to his movement, and whilst not a bad keeper I feel he is more of a Ben Foster level of keeper.

If that Rui rumour is true (only seen some of their games but the whoever the Roma keeper is has made a mistake in both Europa games I have seen recently) then Anthony Lopez from Lyon is who I would be considering. Been excellent when I have seen him.
Depends on where you are on a Ben Foster level of keeper and whether Rui is on the decline or just had a poor season. Rui's best is comfortably above Foster at his. Foster's best was above where Rui has been this year though. If he were to leave and we were offered a 2014ish version of Foster I'd take that

From a financial perspective we might sell him whilst he still has value. We're going to have to replace him sooner or later, might as well do it now if it works out to be more economical.

Patricio to Roma is today's twitter rumour
Good move for him if it comes off. There are other keepers who are as good as him who would cost less available from around Europe who would qualify for a work permit.

Depends on where you are on a Ben Foster level of keeper and whether Rui is on the decline or just had a poor season. Rui's best is comfortably above Foster at his. Foster's best was above where Rui has been this year though. If he were to leave and we were offered a 2014ish version of Foster I'd take that

Fosters best is way below Rui's would be my assessment. One of them is a top international keeper. Context of this season aside, Foster has been very error-prone, distribution always been about average. His best work has always been for sides where he faces a high volume of work, he is the epitome of how a top end keeper is 95% concentration. If you had to pick a keeper to not be involved for 88 minutes and then produce a high class save, Foster is way down my list.

At this best he was maybe 8th-12th best keeper in the league. A great achievement in the grand scheme of things but he has more been in the 12th-18th range.

David Soria has been awesome for Getafe. Big commanding presence and good with his feet. Decent stats , under 10m cost and out of contract in 2022.

Last edited:
So signing the 8-12th best keeper in the PL wouldn't be a terrible outcome. What's Rui been this year 17th? Darlow, whoever plays this week at Southampton and Ramsdale being the obvious ones worse

I’d have a look at someone like Alban Lafont, if the Rui rumours are true.

Nearly 200 senior appearances at a reasonable level and only 22 years old.

Massive potential to develop in to a top keeper and I reckon he’d only cost about £10m. Obviously we’d have to accept that a young keeper like him will make the odd error - but it’s not exactly like the super experienced Rui is squeaky clean on that front.

So signing the 8-12th best keeper in the PL wouldn't be a terrible outcome. What's Rui been this year 17th? Darlow, whoever plays this week at Southampton and Ramsdale being the obvious ones worse
I would say that Allison, Ederson, Mendy, DDG (at his best) or Henderson are better. Schmeichel, Pope, Martinez and Lloris are about level with Rui.
Would you really take any of Leno. Areola, Fabianski, Darlow, Meslier, Johnstone, Guaita, Sanchez, Pickford, McCarthy/Forster or Ramsdale ahead of Rui?? I wouldn't

17th?

I can think of Johnstone, Pickford, Ramsdale, Forster, Darlow/ Dubravka/ Allison, Pope and Leno who have all been worse this season.

Back