• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2021 transfer window

I would say that Allison, Ederson, Mendy, DDG (at his best) or Henderson are better. Schmeichel, Pope, Martinez and Lloris are about level with Rui.
Would you really take any of Leno. Areola, Fabianski, Darlow, Meslier, Johnstone, Guaita, Sanchez, Pickford, McCarthy/Forster or Ramsdale ahead of Rui?? I wouldn't
Nor me.

La Font is a good shout, another who has been very good every time I have seen him. I love Rui though, he has had some issues this year but I wouldn't be ready to be looking to replace him personally. If I was making a list of how easy or realistic it would be to replace him then he'd be closer to last than first, as think the cost of a true upgrade would be a smaller gain than virtually any other position we have.

I would say that Allison, Ederson, Mendy, DDG (at his best) or Henderson are better. Schmeichel, Pope, Martinez and Lloris are about level with Rui.
Would you really take any of Leno. Areola, Fabianski, Darlow, Meslier, Johnstone, Guaita, Sanchez, Pickford, McCarthy/Forster or Ramsdale ahead of Rui?? I wouldn't
Not read what I said Darlo. He's not had a good season. Have Leno, Areola etc had better seasons? Absolutely.

17th?

I can think of Johnstone, Pickford, Ramsdale, Forster, Darlow/ Dubravka/ Allison, Pope and Leno who have all been worse this season.
I don't agree on half of those. Adding Allison to my original list, would be fair though, so call it 16th

Pickford and Leno have had miserable seasons.

Leno n particularly has been shocking, in the bottom 3 on howlers alone.

Have they cost their teams half a dozen goals and then another 2/3 you'd think a top class keeper should have done better with? If so, I concede. As I said earlier I'd prefer him to stay, but at 33 it's not inconceivable to think that this season is the start of a decline, so if there is a decent offer out there then it's worth considering if a suitable replacement is available

Last edited:
Have they cost their teams half a dozen goals and then another 2/3 you'd think a top class keeper should have done better with? If so, I concede. As I said earlier I'd prefer him to stay, but at 33 it's not inconceivable to think that this season is the start of a decline, so if there is a decent offer out there then it's worth considering if a suitable replacement is out there
Leno cost them at least 9 points. 6 of those against us and 3 against Everton two weeks ago.

Well the home game isn't true. 2-1 down to a penalty and a worldie and already down to 10 men when he got sent off. Anyway whether he's been the 14/15/16 keeper in the PL doesn't really alter the point

Well the home game isn't true. 2-1 down to a penalty and a worldie and already down to 10 men when he got sent off
We’ll have to agree to disagree then.

I don’t remember Rui costing us a game like Leno did against Everton and to my knowledge has never been sent off for pure idiocy this season. But y’know Leno must’ve had a better season,

If you want to look at pure goals without context
Newcastle 2 points
Liverpool 1 point
West Ham 1 point
Tottenham 2 points
and that's without thinking too deeply about it

If you want to look at pure goals without context
Newcastle 2 points
Liverpool 1 point
West Ham 1 point
Tottenham 2 points
and that's without thinking too deeply about it
Rui has a number of goals conceded that as an international standard experienced gk he should have dealt with. That list is a minimum. He is low in the league statistics for a reason. But could we get better than him?

Rui has a number of goals conceded that as an international standard experienced gk he should have dealt with. That list is a minimum. He is low in the league statistics for a reason. But could we get better than him?
As I said yesterday, I think it all depends on whether we are seeing a poor season or the start of a decline which at 33 is possible. It wouldn't be difficult to upgrade this years version, but last he was great, I doubt we could get as good let alone better.

Rui might have had a season below his previous standards , but lets face it , we have bigger problems to fix first . I'd leave him there if he wants to stay .
Getting a good centre back partnership would curtail the number of shots he has to stop it could be argued .

I think that if some people had their way (not necessarily on here) we'd be signing 10-15 players and selling 10-15, and that would set us for a fall.

We need a few players to return to form and fitness (Raul, Neto, Jonny, Bolly, Traore, Podence, Donk) and then 2 strong signings at CB and CM (along with picking up Vitinha and RAN). Crucially we also need to keep hold of our better players, which shouldn't be a problem as 3 of them are injured!

I certainly wouldn't be looking at replacing Rui.

I'm not sure how realistic it is, but I'd be gunning for Ake and look at him forging a partnership with Boly, but like a lot of City players, they get put on such high wages when they sign they are difficult to capture.

I don't get the Ake love. He's quick, strong and a decent player but defensively he's got a Saiss rick in him every game and his concentration is average. Not the type of player to go with Boly who is a bigger stronger version of Ake.

I don't get the Ake love. He's quick, strong and a decent player but defensively he's got a Saiss rick in him every game and his concentration is average. Not the type of player to go with Boly who is a bigger stronger version of Ake.
Boly is becoming an issue, he is constantly getting niggly injuries and even when fit he doesn't seem to be able to perform at the levels he did in the first Premier League season.

I like Ake, I'd definitely take him but I can't see us buying from this country as the price will be too much

I can't say i've noticed him making mistakes to be honest, i think he's a good footballer and i've been impressed by him when he's played against us. But he is on the small side, which is why he will always need a more physical, bigger player next to him. The idea of him and Coady together - scromit.

Boly is becoming an issue, he is constantly getting niggly injuries and even when fit he doesn't seem to be able to perform at the levels he did in the first Premier League season.

I like Ake, I'd definitely take him but I can't see us buying from this country as the price will be too much
I agree we do need to look at Boly's successor. I think it's too early for Lonwijk and Marques so we need to look at a short term solution.

Some big brute of a player in his late 20's would do us nicely.

Back