• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2021 transfer window

I don't think it does.
Obviously we shouldn't need to translate what a journalist is saying.

But i read it as "If Wolves are going to start signing non Mendes stable players, maybe they will look at non Mendes stable managers too."

By the way, if we appoint Bruno Lage, don't be surprised to see us sign Adam Reach this summer.

Lage tried to sign him for Benfica. Seriously.

Wasn't even that bad? It was one of the worst runs in Benfica's history.
A 10 game spell where he won 2 and only lost 4 (3 by one goal). Klopp lost 6 out of 7 FFS ( I’m sure that probably broke some “record”)

Maybe the conversation went along the lines of " Nuno, we're reining in our spending, we gunna sell our best assets and replace with youth, becoming a regular top 6 team isn't as important as it was" to which Nuno replies "Ah, I can't work like that'.......thats my speculation anyway😁 which I'd be fine with.

I appreciate your speculation is tongue-in-cheek, but there's currently no real evidence Fosun have lost interest or are reining in ambitions? This kind of take above looks more like trying to paint Nuno as some kind of principled Saint made of Teflon tbh. I don't know how accurate or helpful that is.

I was happy for Nuno to lead us next season, but let's be honest, the guy has looked frazzled for most of the season, and we've been pretty poor and confused on the pitch. Maybe Fosun just thought his time was up and he couldn't do anything more with us? Happens to even the best managers

A 10 game spell where he won 2 and only lost 4 (3 by one goal). Klopp lost 6 out of 7 FFS ( I’m sure that probably broke some “record”)
Are you actually comparing the Primeira Liga with the Premier League?

I think the point with Lage is that we really don't know either way. I find it underwhelming for that reason, he had that incredible run when he took over mid season but then was quickly dismissed.

When Nuno took over getting a manager of his calibre was extremely impressive business for a Championship team (who had just finished 15th).

By the way, if we appoint Bruno Lage, don't be surprised to see us sign Adam Reach this summer.

Lage tried to sign him for Benfica. Seriously.
Here's what he said about Reach.

Since I’m a nice guy, I’ll give you one more name: Adam Reach. He’s like a player like Chiquinho, but he doesn’t have a moustache like Andre Almeida. He is more like Chris Waddle

Yeah.

Are you actually comparing the Primeira Liga with the Premier League?
No. Just saying 4 defeats in 10 isn’t enough to hang someone over (particularly without knowing any other details), when he won 18 out of 19 before it that season and blew away the league the season before.

I mean...Fosun are not exactly going to stick their fingers in the air, come up with a number, and then give it to the press. That would be mental.

The article in question

Even the comments are questioning why it contradicts what he's already written. Something doesn't add up. He's not getting sole credit on any of these either for some reason.
Apologies for quoting myself but the article has been edited at some point this morning. There was a reference to Mendes pulling Nuno out of Wolves that isn't there anymore. Jeff has been on the blower, it seems.

No. Just saying 4 defeats in 10 isn’t enough to hang someone over (particularly without knowing any other details), when he won 18 out of 19 before it that season and blew away the league the season before.
Relative though isn't it? Benfica are significantly stronger in Portugal than we are in England.

2 wins in 10 get most 'big 6' managers here in trouble.

We do know the details. He was tactically inflexible, got found out as a manager and had no plan B, overplayed favourites despite poor form and played players wildly out of position.

This was how Benfica's midfield and forward line were lined up at the end of their 4-3 defeat at home to Santa Clara

Pizzi Taraabt Weigl Vinícius

Seferovic Sousa

It was a mess, regardless of what had gone before. Like I said, good managers don't get themselves into situations like that.

Relative though isn't it? Benfica are significantly stronger in Portugal than we are in England.

2 wins in 10 get most 'big 6' managers here in trouble.
Klopp won 3 out of 14 losing 8. So no, that’s bollocks.

Although yes it is an easier league, but I don’t know if his players were Just missing open goals or he was being fucked over by the ref. The first two defeats were Porto and Braga, not that outrageous. So his bad spell is 4 draws and two defeats in 7.
We do know the details. He was tactically inflexible, got found out as a manager and had no plan B, overplayed favourites despite poor form and played players wildly out of position.

This was how Benfica's midfield and forward line were lined up at the end of their 4-3 defeat at home to Santa Clara

Seferovic Sousa

It was a mess, regardless of what had gone before. Like I said, good managers don't get themselves into situations like that.
Fair enough. Some actual insight. 99% of people anti Lage don’t have that insight though.

Although some could label the majority of that first paragraph at Nuno (rightly or wrongly).

Klopp won 3 out of 14 losing 8. So no, that’s bollocks.

Although yes it is an easier league, but I don’t know if his players were Just missing open goals or he was being fucked over by the ref. The first two defeats were Porto and Braga, not that outrageous. So his bad spell is 4 draws and two defeats in 7.
Hence why I said "most". Injury situation and how popular Klopp is would've provided him some mitigation.

If they go through a patch like that again with a full strength team I doubt he will be around for long.

Lampard was sacked after 1 win in 5. Chelsea are far more trigger happy than most but again, it's relative.

I appreciate your speculation is tongue-in-cheek, but there's currently no real evidence Fosun have lost interest or are reining in ambitions? This kind of take above looks more like trying to paint Nuno as some kind of principled Saint made of Teflon tbh. I don't know how accurate or helpful that is.

I was happy for Nuno to lead us next season, but let's be honest, the guy has looked frazzled for most of the season, and we've been pretty poor and confused on the pitch. Maybe Fosun just thought his time was up and he couldn't do anything more with us? Happens to even the best managers
Well yeah.....thats exactly what I was saying with my tongue-in-cheekness
Nuno was sacked, Nuno has had enough, Fosun don't want to spend any money, Lage plays entertaining football, Mendes calls all the shots. Choose any of the speculation you like.
I still think its a mistake changing our coach at this point to bring in someone relatively unknown...don't think thats painting Nuno as anything.
We'll all just have to see how it pans out.

Seferovic Sousa

Thats a freddeno line up!

I'm a bit twitchy about the prospect of someone like Lage because of the level of uncertainty, but I do think if something like that goes through we have to generally wait and see a little, just like we did signing the young lads most of us hadn't heard of in the summer.

I think people who were relaxed about that surely should be relaxed about this to an extent, for consistency at least?

"Nuno was sacked, Nuno has had enough, Fosun don't want to spend any money, Lage plays entertaining football, Mendes calls all the shots."

I think all of those could be/are true!

Trying to look for positives, or at least an absence of negatives, we can't say we'll be any worse off giving Lage till Christmas and him failing than we would have been giving Nuno till Christmas and him failing. Yes, there were mitigating circumstances last year and, yes, we all wanted Nuno to succeed, but I could see no more evidence that things were likely to improve under him than I can see evidence that they're likely to fail under Lage. All we could have done/can do is hope for the best. I would prefer someone with a better record, but iirc Unai Emery had a pretty good record at PSG when he came to Arsenal and that didn't go so well. Good or bad, nothing's guaranteed.

We all want a sexy appointment, I was up for Amorim back at the start of the year as Nuno's eventual successor, but just like lists of players we want, often the reality is very different due to factors we aren't privy to.

I think the idea of the Nuno era being over and many of those players going as well is a big change for us all to take in, and bearing in mind we're not exactly overflowing with golden eras in modern memory, it's no wonder we're all shitting it to varying degrees.

"Nuno was sacked, Nuno has had enough, Fosun don't want to spend any money, Lage plays entertaining football, Mendes calls all the shots."

I think all of those could be/are true!
I neither believe, nor disbelieve any of them......its all just conjecture.....I'll be giving it a few months and see what happens, till they prove otherwise, I'll be giving everyone the benefit of the doubt.

Back