• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2021 transfer window

Porto (A) L 2-3
Braga (H) L 0-1
Gil Vicente (A) W 1-0
Moreirense (H) D 1-1
Vitoria de Setubal (A) D 1-1
Tondela (H) D 0-0
Portimonense (A) D 2-2
Rio Ave (A) W 2-1
Santa Clara (H) L 3-4
Maritimo (A) L 0-2

You can dress it up however you like, that is a record of P10 W2 D4 L4. These are the facts.

Up against some real giants of the European game there so let's be fair.

"On 29 June 2020, Lage made his position available after equalising Benfica's worst ever series of results – 2 wins in 13 matches in the 2000–01 season"

So the interview was a chat about the weather? The way this is being pitched is that Jeff has accepted what Jorge has said with no consideration at all. Almost like if Jorge had said "Dean Saunders is your man" Jeff would have accepted it without question.

I just don't believe that's what happened or that Jeff gets to be that high up in Fosun making decisions in that way. Likewise, I don't think Jeff's superiors have said "Believe everything that Jorge tells you".
As I said before, his favourite colour and whether he'd rather have a pudding or a starter. Whatever he said, when you don't speak with anyone else you have no way of knowing how impressive that was. "Scott will lead the search".

At what point in that run did the League chances fall away?

As we know, when the "edge" has gone its easy for players to go through the motions, regardless of manager. Nuno with us, Carlos with Everton last year.

Feels like I am overly sticking up for this chap but reality is I think its wrong to start on a massively negative view point, just means everything going forwad will be like that...scrape a win, he is shit, don;t like a signing, he is shit, lose a tight game, he is shit (obviously get dicked 4-0 by Burnley and we will all have words). You also can't go 2 feet in on the poor end to his Benfica spell and ignore the good bits by using things like RDM won a trophy so it means nowt.

Last edited:
It's a completely inappropriate appointment given what we've done as a club and what our stated aims are, that's my problem.

Yes, from my point of view he's going to start off from a negative standpoint. Of course he is, he shouldn't be there. He has absolutely nothing in his locker to suggest that he's capable of taking on a job of this scale. I'm not going to pretend he's really good so everything looks sunny side up, it's a ridiculous state of affairs.

At what point in that run did the League chances fall away?

As we know, when the "edge" has gone its easy for players to go through the motions, regardless of manager. Nuno with us, Carlos with Everton last year.

Feels like I am overly sticking up for this chap but reality is I think its wrong to start on a massively negative view point, just means everything going forwad will be like that...scrape a win, he is shit, don;t like a signing, he is shit, lose a tight game, he is shit (obiously get dicked 4-0 by Burnley and we will all have words). You also can't go 2 feet in on the poor end to his Benfica spell and ignore the good bits by using things like RDM won a trophy so it means nowt.
From what JRod has said the players seemed to "down tools" and Lage's wasn't backed by the board in January.
Those results are from February 8th to start of June.
I'm with you here Kenny. It's getting very specific to look at a set of results without context to hang a manager we know little about and hasn't even started work here.

Would you write down Roberto di Matteo's Champions League win as meaningless? I would.
I wouldn't want di Matteo as his achievement there was nearly ten years ago.

Lage was in charge of Benfica for twice as long as di Matteo too, I think it's unfair to make out any old numpty could have done what he did. It can't just be we dismiss his only real achievement with brevity and then pull out a shitload of stats about the end of his tenure. It's over egging the pudding

I'm not saying anything he did at Benfica is the reason he's got the job, we know the reason, but it's not like it's the first Mendes thing that's happened in four years.

More specific than quoting the run twice and getting it wrong, twice? :D

Which other Premier League clubs do you think would have considered him? Strange that Everton are looking at our ex-manager and not the new one who is somehow better?

I agree, but the thing about Nuno is that he forged a huge emotional connection with us. Apart from playing a major part in restoring the club's pride, he also was undoubtedly a gentleman and really bought into the club and the city.

At least he still left with a lot of dignity and almost unanimous goodwill, that's more than a lot of managers get
Mick, had it for a while but he stayed too long. Graham Turner too. Jackett left at the right time. Last season was drab, if supporters had been in the ground I'm pretty sure Nuno would have taken stick and would be less fondly remembered.

Easily the best manager at Wolves in my lifetime but he was treated very well by Wolves with significant resources at his disposal - we can only hope that one of the next incumbents is spoken of with even more affection.

It's a completely inappropriate appointment given what we've done as a club and what our stated aims are, that's my problem.

Yes, from my point of view he's going to start off from a negative standpoint. Of course he is, he shouldn't be there. He has absolutely nothing in his locker to suggest that he's capable of taking on a job of this scale. I'm not going to pretend he's really good so everything looks sunny side up, it's a ridiculous state of affairs.

Like I've said, you could have had the same attitude towards Fabio signing in terms of appropriateness, and although I concede the point that a manager is more important, you're still talking about a huge chunk of transfer funds for us on a player who ultimately wasn't really suitable for what we needed last season when we unfortunately lost Raul.

The reason I make this comparison is because it highlights that Fosun obviously have an unconventional approach to what is appropriate, and if we're (still) holding fire on Fabio it's surely only fair and consistent to do the same for Bruno. We can still have reservations.

More specific than quoting the run twice and getting it wrong, twice? :D

Which other Premier League clubs do you think would have considered him? Strange that Everton are looking at our ex-manager and not the new one who is somehow better?
I'm not bothered about what other Premier League clubs would do though, I support Wolves.
It looks like the hierarchy of the club have made a decision and I as a fan have no say in that decision. I am willing to see what the bloke can do and, if he flunks (you believe wholeheartedly that he will) Jeff/Fosun will bin him rather quickly.
The wheres and wherefores of Nuno being "allowed to leave/sacked" is a totally different conversation.
I am happy to read what an actual fan of Benfica had to offer with opinions on Lage. "Most" of it was fairly positive with the odd reservation so I'm in the wait and see camp for now

I'm gonna die on this hill... But again, which PL clubs would have signed Fabio for that money? We don't do things like the rest... We just have to hope most of it comes off

I'll be fair. I even gave Saunders one game.

Realistically though I think people know how this will go.

I'll be fair. I even gave Saunders one game.

Realistically though I think people know how this will go.
Right now, 60/40 failure. Based on nothing more than I don't know him and it feels like a step down in quality based on his experience. I know for my comments I should be 50/50 right now but he loses 10 really for not being Nuno...
I know we will probably sign a player that you hate but will point out (again) that most people hated the idea of Ryan Bennett but he turned pretty vital to us. Sometimes its not the player but how they fit into the team.

They really really should give us Nuno Mendes (yeah I know he will go to a club where he knows the managers name....)

Right now, 60/40 failure. Based on nothing more than I don't know him and it feels like a step down in quality based on his experience. I know for my comments I should be 50/50 right now but he loses 10 really for not being Nuno...
I know we will probably sign a player that you hate but will point out (again) that most people hated the idea of Ryan Bennett but he turned pretty vital to us. Sometimes its not the player but how they fit into the team.
I hated the idea of Iwelumo too.

I'm not saying I'm definitively right, it's just my opinion that we've downgraded here, and all of our own volition. That's never a good thing.

Anyone saying "Bruno Lage is definitely better than Nuno" is on the Kool-Aid, because it's not true.

I hated the idea of Iwelumo too.

I'm not saying I'm definitively right, it's just my opinion that we've downgraded here, and all of our own volition. That's never a good thing.

Anyone saying "Bruno Lage is definitely better than Nuno" is on the Kool-Aid, because it's not true.
So it looks like were in deep shit then ?

Back