• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2021 transfer window

Again taking 1/2 posters statements rather than engaging with the wide debate. Lage should be the appointment that takes us to the next level, that's the conversation

What do you mean by 'the next level'?

You really think a manager (any manager!) will do that on their own?

I'm not sure we ever have.

Doesn't matter really, we could appoint Christian Gross and he's won seven league titles. I wouldn't want him either.

So for those who are in full condemnation, are we putting this down to an incompetent appointment, or is this a Mendes power grab?

What do you mean by 'the next level'?

You really think a manager (any manager!) will do that on their own?
You've sacked a manager whose got two 7th place finishes and a drop back season. You don't sack him unless you are looking to get to the next level which is obviously top 6.I think they are massively deluded about where the club can realistically go, but they have to own that

RDM won a Champions League. Meaningless no, but he did do it at the biggest club in Portugal. Having the worst run in their history the season after isn't meaningless either. He's got the job for one reason and one reason only. He may turn out to be wonderful, but let's not pretend his track record is why he has the gig
Same as Nuno.

So for those who are in full condemnation, are we putting this down to an incompetent appointment, or is this a Mendes power grab?
As Kenny says both. It's not a power grab, it's an evolution. He's brought players and a manager we couldn't wish to think of signing and now is taking money out of the club - Doherty/Silva and bringing in a manager nobody would think of employing. It's for everyone to think of how they feel about that. I'm pretty clear

You've sacked a manager whose got two 7th place finishes and a drop back season. You don't sack him unless you are looking to get to the next level which is obviously top 6.
I'm going to stick on my guns on this. This wasn't a straight forward normal sacking. I think Jeff wanted certain things doing that Nuno couldn't/wouldn't do and hence we get the mutual consent and Nuno staying on to say a proper goodby and allowed to speak to the press etc.

Obviously reading between the lines and probably creating my own story but I am sticking with it. I've said for a few years that I don't think Jeff agrees with the small squad stuff but let it ride as it wasn't an issue. I also think there a few players we had lined up that have been vetoed and then watched as Jesus, Cutrone & Jose flopped and Podence flipped between ace to meh to shite. So we are looking at the DoF type transfer dealings where the head coach won't always get the final say and Nuno was having non of that.
So plans to try and get us to the next level but Nuno threw a curve ball and then the man we sold our soul too has stepped in.

It's not in anyone's interest to put a duffer in charge here. It's not good for us, it's not good for our relationship with Mendes nor Mendes relationship with us, Lage failing with us would be bad for Lage too.

If Lage fails no one wins

Same as Nuno.
As many times as you say this, or variations of it Mark it doesn't make it true. Please stop comparing it to Nuno it's tiresome. This isn't about Nuno, he's gone, it's about the future

No-one wins then, as he will fail. It's as plain as the nose on your face.

Mark, stop being a cunt, now.

You've sacked a manager whose got two 7th place finishes and a drop back season. You don't sack him unless you are looking to get to the next level which is obviously top 6.I think they are massively deluded about where the club can realistically go, but they have to own that

Hang on... he left by mutual consent, and it wasn't a drop back season, it was a 13th place finish 😉.

Maybe they want to go back to realistically challenging for 7th place or thereabouts rather than going to the 'next level', maybe they want the club to play in a different way (that Nuno struggled with) and that's their priority.

It's difficult to say without all the info, but not so long ago lots of people on here were saying it's not Fosun's job to give us regular ambition updates

Back