• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2021 transfer window

Chill out... Was merely a wind up. Wasn’t expecting you to bite that hard mind.

A defender dropping into the middle of a back 4 with the CBs splitting is a pretty standard tactic. Like Kalvin Phillips, Xabi Alonso, etc. Wouldn’t say any of those teams “played a back 5 though”. Hilariously Neves does the same thing now for us and stands next to Coady, which is part of the many reasons we do fuck all in the final third. Only been moaning about it for 2 years. He/Nuno still does/did it.

Regardless. None of that is the point. It just seems a strange to think “fuck, Lage played 442 once so it will definitely be 442 at wolves and we have no players for it”. We don’t know what system he will play and by the looks of it we don’t know what players will be here either. So out of the two variables we know neither
It wasn't that though. They'd be in front and he'd change the formation, accusation was he was too defensive and handing the game to the opposition...

I appreciate I'm angsty at the moment, so apologise for that. Just think the direction I think we are going in is such a shame

It wasn't that though. They'd be in front and he'd change the formation, accusation was he was too defensive and handing the game to the opposition...

I appreciate I'm angsty at the moment, so apologise for that. Just think the direction I think we are going in is such a shame
Ignore the Nuno pre wolves bit then. The important bit is we don’t know what the manager will do, what players he will buy and what players we will sell.

We can’t know what direction we’re going in. If it’s a board issue I.e selling off players and not backing the manager then we are failing whether it was Nuno, Lage, whoever. That would be very dissapointing, as we’ve discussed previously. But selling Neves for a good amount and reinvesting, got nothing against that strategy.

But if he wants to join them, he holds all the cards really. Don't forget we are basically a stepping stone for his career. If he thinks going to Arsenal gives him more chance of getting success in the next few years then our options are basically get the correct fee for him.

I think where Neves would be understanding is we tell him the price we want and if Arsenal, or whoever, match it we won't stand in his way but if they take the piss we will ignore them.

I also wouldn't call Arsenal a direct rival. They may below their expected level but they will expect a top 6 challenge next year whereas, right now we hope to challenge for that. Moving there may not give him instant European football but they are much much bigger club than we are and have better chance of signing the players they require to push them back where they expect to be.

If we're to simultaneously weaken ourselves while directly improving a team outside of the top six for the last two seasons then they need to pay a premium for it. Anything less than what we received for Jota - especially considering the slice Mendes will have out of the fee - would be totally unacceptable in my opinion. A team abroad or established in the top five I'd happily deal if Neves wanted it but Arsenal, Everton, Leeds or Villa would have to 'feel' it.

If we're to simultaneously weaken ourselves while directly improving a team outside of the top six for the last two seasons then they need to pay a premium for it. Anything less than what we received for Jota - especially considering the slice Mendes will have out of the fee - would be totally unacceptable in my opinion. A team abroad or established in the top five I'd happily deal if Neves wanted it but Arsenal, Everton, Leeds or Villa would have to 'feel' it.
Agree on the fee part.

Out of the clubs you list, I would be fucked off if Neves felt Leeds or Villa was the right direction. As mentioned I could understand Arsenal being attractive to him and Everton would only get an understanding, even though in reality I would put them in the same group as Leeds and Villa, if Nuno does rock up there.

But if he wants to join them, he holds all the cards really. Don't forget we are basically a stepping stone for his career. If he thinks going to Arsenal gives him more chance of getting success in the next few years then our options are basically get the correct fee for him.

I think where Neves would be understanding is we tell him the price we want and if Arsenal, or whoever, match it we won't stand in his way but if they take the piss we will ignore them.

I also wouldn't call Arsenal a direct rival. They may below their expected level but they will expect a top 6 challenge next year whereas, right now we hope to challenge for that. Moving there may not give him instant European football but they are much much bigger club than we are and have better chance of signing the players they require to push them back where they expect to be.
If it wasn't for the fact our owners have publicly stated our ambition is to break into the top six, I'd agree with everything you've said there. No doubt Arsenal are a bigger club than Wolves, at the moment, but surely no-one apart from the idiots who were responsible for devising the ESL believe they are part of the elite of english football anymore. There's every chance we could finish above them next year with a few good signings. Realistically they aren't winning the league anytime soon whilst Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea and Man Utd are spending what they do on players.

Jota going to Liverpool was different IMO, they've won the Champions League and Premier League very recently and are miles and miles ahead of us in terms of quality. You can't deny a player the opportunity to play in a team like that. I saw an interview with Alex Ferguson the other day, he said they had a policy at Man Utd of never ever selling to rival team, even if it meant they got less for a player than they could have. I know it's a different level but still, same principle.

When did Arsenal last win a league title, nearly 20 years ago? If we sell Neves to them, for me this whole thing of wanting to break into the top six and then top four etc etc is alot on nonsense. It's fine if they just want to be a self sustaining club that always sells its best players and finishes mid table, but don't mug us off in the process.

I don't think they see it that way. It's about profit/value. Fwiw I don't believe they'll see £35m as value, but if Arsenal put £10m on that or thereabouts they'd sell him. Whether he'd go there is another thing. I think their comments re ambition are genuine, I have less trust in their understanding of how to get there

Leicester seem to be getting Soumare and Édouard for a combined £35m. Top work from them.

Happened to watch the U23 final last night and without doubt the kind of player we need as a midfield snotter is Niklas Dorsch.
Only seen him twice in the finals and never heard of him before but he basically won (and kicked) everything in the middle of the park
Not in Kante’s league at the moment but can see a few clubs already looking at him

Momentum gathering with Patricio to Roma, by the sounds of it.

We’ve also been linked with a move for Valencia’s Kang-In Lee.

Most important player in will be a supreme DM like a Kanté type.. for me

I think a dominant CB would be of more importance for me, followed by some kind of forward who knows where the goal is and can take the pressure off Raul

Is Kang-in Lee any good? I know he's only young but his stats don't look very good.

Back