• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2021 transfer window

I'm pretty sure the UEFA FFP agreement applies regardless of whether we're in a European competition or not

This is what I'm talking about

"In the settlement, however, Wolves have agreed to limit their losses to €30 million in the financial year ending 2020. By the end of the 2021-22 season, the club will also be expected to have reached an “aggregate break-even” result for the years 2019, 2020 and 2021. Uefa rules allow for a buffer of a €30 million aggregate loss over three years within this definition.
A final condition will see Wolves submit regular updates to Uefa on their progress in meeting the FFP targets."

So we agreed to do things, that if we failed we would probably be removed from their Comps if we qualified. Obviously we are not in them now BUT if we fail to hit those agreed targets and supply updates to show we are doing these things we could be hit with a Euro ban. So I don't think Jeff is telling porkies here, maybe being optimistic on qualifying for Europe in the next 12 months.
Presume at the end of the agreement period if we fail and don't qualify for Europe we will either get a whopping fine or told next time you qualify, stay at home chaps.
Profit of £20m in 2019.

Loss of £39m in 2020 but this is mostly a paper loss as we got no prize money from either the PL or UEFA, and we're missing some TV money too.

2021 we get 2019/20's prize money, 2020/21's prize money and they will make allowances for an entire year of no matchday revenue.

It isn't an issue, they want people to believe it is, but it isn't. It's a lie and a very easily exposed one.

I would say there is something there that has them worried this summer. I think it's quite a leap to accuse them lying.

I don't think there is, I think it's an easy smokescreen and most people will just go "oh, ok".

They don't want to put any more funding in which is fine, it's their wallet and not mine, but don't piss in my pocket and tell me it's raining. There isn't any way we're in trouble with FFP or even close, a 0% chance.

So we're £19m down on 2019 and 2020.

We get double prize money in 2021's accounts.

We had a zero net spend in conventional terms last summer - when you factor in amortisation, it'll probably show a largeish profit in the end for that year.

They're talking bollocks.

"In the settlement, however, Wolves have agreed to limit their losses to €30 million in the financial year ending 2020. By the end of the 2021-22 season, the club will also be expected to have reached an “aggregate break-even” result for the years 2019, 2020 and 2021. Uefa rules allow for a buffer of a €30 million aggregate loss over three years within this definition."

We won't have a €30m loss. Every possibility that from an accounting point of view we'll be in the green over those three years. As our financial year ends on 31 May, anything we do now has no impact either, because it's 2022's accounts.

Also they have relaxed FFP for reporting purposes this year haven't they? I get that's not an abandonment of them and they will get rolled into next year's reporting but that doesn't explain how it hampers Wolves this season. I do think it is bollocks but it would be nice if one of the journalists would follow it up for clarity as Nando said.

The agreement starts from the end of last year's FY. So £39m down. Yes we have money missing from that will be returned in the next, minus matchday income and around £10m or so less in prize money.
This one isn't standard FFP, it's meeting the requirements set out in a legal agreement.
It shouldn't be an issue over the 3 years but on this point I don't think Jeff is speaking bollocks at all.
Unless the club can give us access to the docs they supply to UEFA will never know but to me, playing it steady right now adds up.

playing it steady right now adds up.
Thats fine, but you cant let the club play the FPP card to excuse zero incoming business. If they do that then there will be some very pissed off punters.

All that said , I am going to keep my powder very dry. I really believe that this has been done for a reason and that there will be some arrivals to at least balance the departures. I hear CR7 is available ;)

The agreement starts from the end of last year's FY. So £39m down. Yes we have money missing from that will be returned in the next, minus matchday income and around £10m or so less in prize money.
This one isn't standard FFP, it's meeting the requirements set out in a legal agreement.
It shouldn't be an issue over the 3 years but on this point I don't think Jeff is speaking bollocks at all.
Unless the club can give us access to the docs they supply to UEFA will never know but to me, playing it steady right now adds up.
As Andy has said, it's from 2019, we made a £20m profit then.

We are £19m down and that will be more than cancelled out from us receiving 2019/20's prize money beyond our accounting date of 31 May.

It was our Championship losses which crippled us there (ridiculous stuff but that's another argument) and they're gone now.

Thats fine, but you cant let the club play the FPP card to excuse zero business. If they do that then there will be some very pissed off punters.

All that said , I am going to keep my powder very dry. I really believe that this has been done for a reason and that there will be some arrivals to at least balance the departures. I hear CR7 is available ;)
If we do zero business we will have about 8 first teamers...

Our net spend won't be high that's for sure.

I think that we will be well within the rules. The truth will out in March next year whether or not it was really a factor in this summers spending planning.

Anyone worrying about our FFP or UEFA FFP should look at the losses racking up at Vile or Goodison Park.

If either of those qualify for Europe then you can imagine some sort of instant huge fine followed by a massive balancing act having to be undertaken if they want to be allowed into the competitions if they qualify again

It was our Championship losses which crippled us there (ridiculous stuff but that's another argument) and they're gone now.
Yes they did and yes they are but they are not even thought about in this agreement.

We have targets to hit and the end of 2020's FY we had failed 1 target. Probably given some grace on that due to Covid, so we are now having to balance that one out.

I think that we will be well within the rules. The truth will out in March next year whether or not it was really a factor in this summers spending planning.

Anyone worrying about our FFP or UEFA FFP should look at the losses racking up at Vile or Goodison Park.
Again though, our case is not so much about the normal rules of FFP but the things the club agreed to with UEFA.

What we should do is sell Molineux to ourselves for £100m and forget about it all

If either of those qualify for Europe then you can imagine some sort of instant huge fine followed by a massive balancing act having to be undertaken if they want to be allowed into the competitions if they qualify again
The thing is there probably won't be any form of balancing act. Worst case scenario there would be a fine and they'd just eat it. Very doubtful that theyd get banned from European competition for it.

The thing is there probably won't be any form of balancing act. Worst case scenario there would be a fine and they'd just eat it. Very doubtful that theyd get banned from European competition for it.
I think in the first instance, you get the slap on the wrist, fined and have to do as UEFA tell you like we and a host of other clubs did.
It's rare UEFA will ban you unless you take the piss or as we seemed to worried about, break agreements.

Was it Milan that pulled out of the Europa knowing if they entered and UEFA looked at their 3 year losses they would get a ban?

Again though, our case is not so much about the normal rules of FFP but the things the club agreed to with UEFA.

What we should do is sell Molineux to ourselves for £100m and forget about it all
What is the punishment if we don't do what we agreed? Is the fine increased to EUR 600k?

We should be well within the rules judging by the 2020 figures, the Profit of Jota/Doherty in the 2021 figures and the additional Premier League prize monies/TV rights from 2020 that were delayed into 2021.

Back