• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2021 transfer window

He wouldn't be 4th choice though. If we're going to play front foot attacking football then neither Saiss nor Marcal are any good to you as a full back.
Neither is Jonny then on his wrong side. Sell them all and sign someone…

I mean we’re Wolves here not Man City. I’m more than happy for my FBs in a 4 to be solid defenders who are decent on the ball. I’m not expecting us to play 2-2-6. Particularly when my FB on the other side is more gung ho so having a little restraint on the left isn’t a bad idea.

There's a world of difference between Jonny as a FB and Saiss / Marcal.

There's a world of difference between Jonny as a FB and Saiss / Marcal.
Jesus Christ Andy your hard work 🤣

Of course there is! But your bloody moving the goalposts here a bit!

You weren’t happy with Marcal as backup because he’s injury prone but would be fine with him otherwise. But you’re not OK with Saiss when realistically there isn’t a fat lot in it with what they’d offer in a back 4. Now you’ve backtracked on that and now said neither are good enough because we want to play “attacking football”, but now say our other right footed defensive FB would be fine at LB because he’s just better. No shit. But the others would be fine as well for like 2 league games this side of Christmas between them.

My eye test doesn't rate Willock, but his goal record at the end of last season was phenomenal. Pretty sure he'll go back to the Geordies. AMN would probably suit a Lage holding 2 if that's the way he's going, just like last Summer I'd be meh about it.

AMN is worse than the options we have in pretty much every position he can play so there's no point.

Last edited:
Jesus Christ Andy your hard work 🤣

Of course there is! But your bloody moving the goalposts here a bit!

You weren’t happy with Marcal as backup because he’s injury prone but would be fine with him otherwise. But you’re not OK with Saiss when realistically there isn’t a fat lot in it with what they’d offer in a back 4. Now you’ve backtracked on that and now said neither are good enough because we want to play “attacking football”, but now say our other right footed defensive FB would be fine at LB because he’s just better. No shit. But the others would be fine as well for like 2 league games this side of Christmas between them.
Marcal would be ok / decent at LB in a kind of solid way, I just think he's better at LB than Saiss would be.

Marcal is made of biscuits so that isn't really an option. Jonny has had 2 ACL injuries, it's a big ask to come back from that, we could wait and see but if someone is available now who we like and won't cost loads then why not?

Having two decent FBs available just feels like a bit of a risk to me, especially when one of them is 20.

Anyway, looks like it might rain later!

Willock is far too Dave Edwards for me. Not a very good footballer but just gets a random run of goals.

Marcal would be ok / decent at LB in a kind of solid way, I just think he's better at LB than Saiss would be.

Marcal is made of biscuits so that isn't really an option. Jonny has had 2 ACL injuries, it's a big ask to come back from that, we could wait and see but if someone is available now who we like and won't cost loads then why not?

Having two decent FBs available just feels like a bit of a risk to me, especially when one of them is 20.

Of course he’s better than Saiss, but that’s why Saiss is 4th choice!

Jonny is an irrelevance. We’re thinking this side of January here. We’re asking a combination of RAN, Marcal, Hoever and Saiss to get us through 19 league games. Sign someone on a 6month loan on 1 year deal if you really have to. Not £10m as backup for 6 months.

But on the Jonny note, what is your evidence that this second ACL is going to be harder than first?

Of course he’s better than Saiss, but that’s why Saiss is 4th choice!

Jonny is an irrelevance. We’re thinking this side of January here. We’re asking a combination of RAN, Marcal, Hoever and Saiss to get us through 19 league games. Sign someone on a 6month loan on 1 year deal if you really have to. Not £10m as backup for 6 months.

But on the Jonny note, what is your evidence that this second ACL is going to be harder than first?
No evidence at all, other than one ACL is bad but recoverable. Two ACL injuries on the same knee just sounds inherently more damaging.

If nothing else, a second tear of the same ACL can't be good for Jonny's trust in that knee holding up. A mental block can be all it takes.

Firstly, everyone seems to be forgetting Vinagre, whom I believe is still on our books. (I'm not advocating keeping him)
Secondly, I seem to remember that following Marcal's last injury, he went under the knife and that following the surgery it was reported that his long-standing problem had been sorted. Good defender.

Firstly, everyone seems to be forgetting Vinagre, whom I believe is still on our books. (I'm not advocating keeping him)
Secondly, I seem to remember that following Marcal's last injury, he went under the knife and that following the surgery it was reported that his long-standing problem had been sorted. Good defender.
Nobody is forgetting him but if RAN comes in then Vinagre will definitely be going out so won't be a factor

No evidence at all, other than one ACL is bad but recoverable. Two ACL injuries on the same knee just sounds inherently more damaging.
Nah will be the same. He came back after 6 months and went straight into the team despite no football and was solid in that Leicester game.

He will rehab exactly the same again. I imagine they will go closer to 9 months this time for insurance. He will have snapped the graft which would have been his hamstring tendon. They will use something synthetic this time as they can’t use his hamstring again. It will be no different to the first time. The operation is very successful. He will follow a strict rehab schedule with elite sports science teams and is paid to rehab. Succes rates are like 95% in layman. Seeing the best surgeons, being paid to rehab and not have to work he will be fine.
I still think he took a blow in training and the graft didn’t just “fail”. It doesn’t add up otherwise.

Lot of high & mighty comments on the last couple of pages.

I like Marcal, but it’s quite obvious he cannot be trusted to stay fit. He’s a year older and his recent fitness record is dreadful. How people can sit there and take the piss out of other people for having a different opinion in regards to bringing in an additional left back, I’ll never know. Especially after our injury issues last season. And more so when you consider our first choice is going to be crocked for the majority of next season already and none of us have idea how he’ll return.

“bUt He’Ll bE 4tH cHoiCe, LoLZ”.

Well, 1) he won’t, will he?

and 2) when you don’t have adequate cover, you end up relying on Willian Jose to start games in the Premier League.

I do so enjoy you quoting me out of context like this Jinky, just like you have the last 2 times. If I was George Galloway I'd sue.
You know I love you, but there are also other posters on the board. Not everything I post is in reply to you ;)

Not sure I’ve been “high and mighty”. It’s Just standard risk vs reward, same as any position on the field.

You still havent explained why Marcal (in the hypothetical world he is fit every week), is demonstrably better than Saiss…

IMO, I’d rather have RAN, Marcal, Hoever, Saiss to cover LB for 19 games than spend £10m+ on an average FB.

Way down on my list of priorities given the rumoured small budget. Not high and mighty, just common sense IMO

Back