• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2021 transfer window

I don't know, we signed Donk as an up and coming 23 year old with a good reputation who was playing for a top International side.

This guy has just been relegated with Albion and played for one of the worst sides at the Euros?

Being in a relegated team doesn't mean you're shit/it's your fault. Areola and Anderson had admirers on here, for a start. Likewise, you can't help if your international team is crap.

If Lage is trying to put a team together and doesn't have a pot to piss in, then he has to try and fill some gaps with the odd bargain. Maybe Yokuslu fits his profile for that position

No idea if he’s any good, not going to pretend I watched him for Albion or in Spain, but heard the reports that he was a standout for them, admittedly a low bar. But even if he’s only Doncks equal (peak donck that is, if it still exists) I’d sign him simply because we do need another body in there, he’s cheap and fits the style of player we need.

Probably not the player we should be signing to have a crack at the top 7, but with our budget that’s not a realistic immediate aim. But it does fit the steady experienced player to help alongside inexperienced youth.

Being in a relegated team doesn't mean you're shit/it's your fault. Areola and Anderson had admirers on here, for a start. Likewise, you can't help if your international team is crap.
You made a comparison with the Dendoncker signing, i was giving you reasons why i disagreed, being an integral part of a side that got relegated and a part of side that were regarded as dark horses but were shite in an international side are fair reasons as to why i think you're wrong to compare him with the Dendoncker signing.

If his international side was crap, you'd expect him to shine, he didn't. if Dendoncker was shite you'd expect him not to get picked for a very good international side ever, but he does and did when we signed him.

Dendoncker who also upon on signing was a younger player who had Champions league experience and International experience for a side that got to the last 4 in the World Cup.

I just don't think it's comparable at all.

I also don't think Dendoncker has got to the level i expected him to either, i had much higher hopes, particularly after his first and second seasons. Hopefully we'll see him return to that this season.

This guy is probably the backup plan if the main targets don't come off.

No idea if he’s any good, not going to pretend I watched him for Albion or in Spain, but heard the reports that he was a standout for them, admittedly a low bar. But even if he’s only Doncks equal (peak donck that is, if it still exists) I’d sign him simply because we do need another body in there, he’s cheap and fits the style of player we need.

Probably not the player we should be signing to have a crack at the top 7, but with our budget that’s not a realistic immediate aim. But it does fit the steady experienced player to help alongside inexperienced youth.
Yep agreed, it's a good price for that level of player.

Dendoncker isn't great, his energy is his main attribute but he's not an especially good footballer. I expect him to improve from last season as it's s very low base, he was terrible.

My point earlier in the thread was if we do need to raise funds for incomings and there was interest in Dendoncker I'd take selling him for 20m and getting this guy for 5 to put towards other areas especially if it spares us parting with one of our best players.

You made a comparison with the Dendoncker signing, i was giving you reasons why i disagreed, being an integral part of a side that got relegated and a part of side that were regarded as dark horses but were shite in an international side are fair reasons as to why i think you're wrong to compare him with the Dendoncker signing.

If his international side was crap, you'd expect him to shine, he didn't. if Dendoncker was shite you'd expect him not to get picked for a very good international side ever, but he does and did when we signed him.

Dendoncker who also upon on signing was a younger player who had Champions league experience and International experience for a side that got to the last 4 in the World Cup.

I just don't think it's comparable at all.

I also don't think Dendoncker has got to the level i expected him to either, i had much higher hopes, particularly after his first and second seasons. Hopefully we'll see him return to that this season.

I think you're using a heavy dollop of spin on both players here.

Didn't Yoklusu play less than half of Albion's games? Not sure that makes you integral, and I don't think his reputation came out of it too badly either. I got the impression he was one of their better players.

Yet you make Donk sound awesome... I wish I'd seen some of this ambitious, next level signing when he's pulled on a Wolves shirt, but really he's just been average at best

We've got very few options in midfield and we're crying out for a bit of physicality. Signing someone for £6m who does that is a no brainer, or to put it another way 2 X Willian Jose loan fees.

Donck was a big part of our set up when we were playing 3-5-2 with Raul and Jota up front. Did all the running for Neves and Moutinho and supported the attack pretty well.

That was now a fairly long time ago, he's never looked as at home in a two man midfield and he was rubbish last season throughout. Only played so many games as we kept having runs of getting a player back from injury and immediately someone else would be out for a few weeks.

I did like the look of some of his appearances at centre half but he does make quite a lot of errors there and doesn't seem destined to be able to iron them out.

Yet you make Donk sound awesome... I wish I'd seen some of this ambitious, next level signing when he's pulled on a Wolves shirt, but really he's just been average at best
The signing at the time was progressive and ambitious.

A 23 year old Belgian international (who made the last 4) with a good reputation who had Champions League experience!

A 27 year old Celta Vigo player who has just been relegated with Albion and knocked out of an international tournament at the first hurdle.

It's a ridiculous comparison.

I agree that Donk has since been a disappointment, particularly last season, that doesn't alter him being a perceived good, progressive signing at the time though.

I think you're using a heavy dollop of spin on both players here.

Didn't Yoklusu play less than half of Albion's games? Not sure that makes you integral, and I don't think his reputation came out of it too badly either. I got the impression he was one of their better players.

I think he played less than half because he only came in on loan in January if memory serves me correctly. Didn't see him play myself but heard Albion improved alot after he came into the side and they wouldn't have been relegated on their form with him in the side.

The Belgium thing doesn't stand up either really. He started the Euros for them wasn't great and ended up getting replaced by a player past his best in Witsel.

Belgium do weird things anyway, they started Vermaelen in one of the games, Chadli still gets in the squad as well.

Vermaelen, Vertonghen, Chadli, Mignolet, Benteke, Batshuayi and Boyata were all in the Belgian Euro squad

The Belgium thing doesn't stand up either really. He started the Euros for them wasn't great and ended up getting replaced by a player past his best in Witsel.

Belgium do weird things anyway, they started Vermaelen in one of the games, Chadli still gets in the squad as well.
We signed Donk just after the World Cup, not sure how Donk performed in the Euros has anything to do with how the two compare as signings at the time.

All i've argued is that Donk was a higher profile signing than Yoksulu would be, as to me it's ridiculous to say otherwise. How Donk has performed since is irrelevant.

We signed Donk just after the World Cup, not sure how Donk performed in the Euros has anything to do with how the two compare as signings at the time.

All i've argued is that Donk was a higher profile signing than Yoksulu would be, as to me it's ridiculous to say otherwise. How Donk has performed since is irrelevant.
I'd say how players play is more important than how signings are perceived.

Back