• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2021 transfer window

Of course it isn't easy to compare Ings and Mir, but...

Ings - a 29 year old striker in his final year of his contract, with an excellent scoring record, but a player whose value will drop, has a history of injuries and as said is 29.

Mir - a 24 year old who scored a lot of goals for a really poor team, and is banging the door of the international squad.

Is Mir really worth less than half Ings value?
Also scored against poor teams. Think only one goal against a top half team and that was a pen. So he basically scored against championship level players. I'd say he's worth about a quarter of Ings as far as ability goes.

Rafa Mir has just scored 12 goals in La Liga for a shit team and is on the brink of the Spain squad. I still don’t think this means he’s any good, but I haven’t watched him play so he may be really good… so if he is, we’ve undercharged.

Fabio Silva had scored 1 goal, barely any first team minutes and still to this day hasn’t shown that he is worth more than £15m. I find it laughable how you think these two scenarios are comparable!
Do you base all your opinions on how things are at exactly the moment they happen? There's just no room for the possibility that events in the future may demonstrate the wisdom of decisions in the present for you by the sound of it.

I have faith Silva will become a very, very good player.
We in effect have taken a very expensive punt, which is abit odd for a club of our standing.
Imagine spending that amount of cash on a player nowhere near good enough in a pandemic when you knew you had no cash to spend the year after?

It's probably the stupidest piece of business I've ever seen.

Also scored against poor teams. Think only one goal against a top half team and that was a pen. So he basically scored against championship level players. I'd say he's worth about a quarter of Ings as far as ability goes.
So you'd have been happy with 7.5million?

We didn't buy Mir for €35m did we?
No, but at the same time I don’t recall Mir being touted as a future superstar. You can isolate the Silva transfer to suit any argument really can’t you.

in isolation, the Mir transfer is decent, clever business. It’s a dangerous game when you try and start comparing player transfers

Do you base all your opinions on how things are at exactly the moment they happen? There's just no room for the possibility that events in the future may demonstrate the wisdom of decisions in the present for you by the sound of it.
Football doesn't work like that does it?

No, but at the same time I don’t recall Mir being touted as a future superstar. You can isolate the Silva transfer to suit any argument really can’t you.

in isolation, the Mir transfer is decent, clever business. It’s a dangerous game when you try and start comparing player transfers

Not really, what's dangerous about it?

The only person I've seen tout Silva as a potential superstar is the mug who paid for him.

Not one Porto fan was unhappy he went.

Imagine spending that amount of cash on a player nowhere near good enough in a pandemic when you knew you had no cash to spend the year after?

It's probably the stupidest piece of business I've ever seen.
I don’t dispute that.

however say in 4 years times he’s worth 60 million, it may not be such a bad thing.

the thing that’s confused me more is the transfer strategy since. If we were buying lots of young players, keeping them together for 3/4 years, building around experienced heads, theb that’s a model that could work.

Mir seems we have just hit the pause button now on whatever the plan was/is.

Not really, what's dangerous about it?

The only person I've seen tout Silva as a potential superstar is the mug who paid for him.

Not one Porto fan was unhappy he went.
My football manager Save would strongly disagree

So you'd have been happy with 7.5million?

I would have been happy with 5m. I'm assuming you haven't watched him much and are just basing your opinion on the fact he scored 13 goals, completely disregarding the quality of opposition or even quality of his all around play. I'd compare him to Kieffer Moore, probably a bit better but similar type of player.

I don’t dispute that.

however say in 4 years times he’s worth 60 million, it may not be such a bad thing.

the thing that’s confused me more is the transfer strategy since. If we were buying lots of young players, keeping them together for 3/4 years, building around experienced heads, theb that’s a model that could work.

Mir seems we have just hit the pause button now on whatever the plan was/is.
I genuinely think we don't have a plan anymore. It's a mess.

Otasowie came on in the 87th minute of a friendly v Wales.
Claiming OO is an ‘international’ is like saying Eddie the eagle is an Olympian. Technically true, but not worth the paper it’s written on.

i am however looking forward to the OO film in 20 years

I genuinely think we don't have a plan anymore. It's a mess.
Yeah im abit baffled.
However I am quite content with us being a secure mid table premier league side for the next few years if that’s what we become. Always thought the consecutive 7ths were slight red herrings

I would have been happy with 5m. I'm assuming you haven't watched him much and are just basing your opinion on the fact he scored 13 goals, completely disregarding the quality of opposition or even quality of his all around play. I'd compare him to Kieffer Moore, probably a bit better but similar type of player.
No i haven't watched a lot of him in terms of his general play, but i've seen most/all of his goals and there have been some good goals in there, varied goals too, and the fact he rattled a hat trick in for Spain at the Olympics and that he scored those league goals whilst playing for a relegated team (it seems you are disregarding the quality of the team around him) clearly shows he is worth more than 5mill.

Also if he was Kieffer Moore levels i severely doubt Atletico and Sevilla would be in for him or that he would have been playing in Tokyo.

To think my OP was treated as hyperbole!

Last edited:
Claiming OO is an ‘international’ is like saying Eddie the eagle is an Olympian. Technically true, but not worth the paper it’s written on.

i am however looking forward to the OO film in 20 years
That’s was my point. We’ve got good value for him, I think.

No i haven't watched a lot of him in terms of his general play, but i've seen most/all of his goals and there have been some good goals in there, varied goals too, and the fact he rattled a hat trick in for Spain at the Olympics and that he scored those league goals whilst playing for a relegated team clearly shows he is worth more than 5mill.

Also if he was Kieffer Moore levels i severely doubt Atletico and Sevilla would be in for him or that he would be playing in Tokyo,

So you are just guessing based on a few highlight clips. I've seen him a good amount of times, he scored against other very poor sides. I'd class the majority of the sides he scored against as the equivalent of a good Championship teams.
Scored a hattrick then was utterly woeful in the semi.

Willian Jose has consistently scored similar amounts in Spain but isn't suited to the football over here and neither is Mir.

Finally, I said he was like Moore in style probably a bit better.

Back