• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2021 transfer window

Fabio Silva was a bung/money laundering.

The sooner we accept this then we can stop comparing him to other transfer fees.

Although I’m sure there will still be people banging the “he’s a generational talent”, “it’s a long term investment”, “ we’ll make our money back and more when he makes it”, “we’d never have been able to get him if we waited” (that ones probably the most hilarious).

This will continue to be used as a stick to beat the club with. Unfortunate for Fabio himself, but it's blatantly obvious we were happy to spend £35m on him because both Fosun & Mendes benefited from it. Our negotiations with clubs/agencies outside of the Mendes carousal is a joke. They genuinely don't seem interested unless we can effectively rinse someone.
Just a small point. Fosun don't benefit from any fees Mendes "earns", as it has been said that Guo Guangchang owns shares in GestiFute not Fosun.

We either have no intention of actually signing these players or have ridiculously low valuations that we won’t budge from. We must have want Botman for under 20 even though anyone with any football knowledge would know that was never going to happen

We either have no intention of actually signing these players or have ridiculously low valuations that we won’t budge from. We must have want Botman for under 20 even though anyone with any football knowledge would know that was never going to happen
We got RAN for 1/2 what we were agreed to pay for him, it does work..... sometimes.

I guess we were counting on Lille being stressed financially. It does seem like it'll be one of those sliding doors moments.

£30m-ish seems like it actually would have been a good investment too. A few years in the PL and we could probably sell him for double that.

Fabio Silva was a bung/money laundering.

The sooner we accept this then we can stop comparing him to other transfer fees.

Although I’m sure there will still be people banging the “he’s a generational talent”, “it’s a long term investment”, “ we’ll make our money back and more when he makes it”, “we’d never have been able to get him if we waited” (that ones probably the most hilarious).
The £35m was real though and when the club is now pleading poverty /FFP hampered- even though it's bullshit it's impossible to not get drawn back to it.

This will continue to be used as a stick to beat the club with. Unfortunate for Fabio himself, but it's blatantly obvious we were happy to spend £35m on him because both Fosun & Mendes benefited from it. Our negotiations with clubs/agencies outside of the Mendes carousal is a joke. They genuinely don't seem interested unless we can effectively rinse someone.
It will and rightly so. If they don’t want us to beat them with a stick then they shouldn’t put a stick in our hands and then piss us off, should they?

Express and Star today:

"Bruno Lage was targeting a new central defender throughout the summer as one of the ‘three or four top players’ he wanted before the transfer deadline.

And although Wolves did make moves to secure a signing in that department, it is understood Kilman’s superb performances meant they were not panicking to sign a defender."

I wondered how long it'd be before we heard this fucking nonsense. 😡 So so so predictable.

Relying on Max Kilman to suddenly go from “ok enough to be a squad player” to “the lynchpin of the defence” is a great strategy…

Express and Star today:

"Bruno Lage was targeting a new central defender throughout the summer as one of the ‘three or four top players’ he wanted before the transfer deadline.

And although Wolves did make moves to secure a signing in that department, it is understood Kilman’s superb performances meant they were not panicking to sign a defender."

I wondered how long it'd be before we heard this fucking nonsense. 😡 So so so predictable.
It would be palatable if they'd taken the CB money and spent it on a CM instead.

But to do nothing is not really acceptable.

Edit Actually, they took the CB money and tried to spend it on Kieffer fucking Moore

Last edited:
The £35m was real though and when the club is now pleading poverty /FFP hampered- even though it's bullshit it's impossible to not get drawn back to it.
Oh without doubt. Winds me up as well. You can literally attribute that transaction to what has made us go significantly backwards since.

What winds me up more though will be someone coming on here later to justify this transaction as something not remotely bent.

Express and Star today:

That's nonsense obviously, but I'd like to know why we were launching bids for Keiffer fucking Moore, we were clearly panicking there.

Oh without doubt. Winds me up as well. You can literally attribute that transaction to what has made us go significantly backwards since.

What winds me up more though will be someone coming on here later to justify this transaction as something not remotely bent.
Dunno if your referring to me here as we've had a few back and forths about Silva over the last few weeks but I've never said it was wise to spend £35m on a teenager. I agree with your point that the money would have been better spent elsewhere.

Why chasing forwards? We have Jimenez, Silva and Hwang - It makes no sense at all when priority signings should have been elsewhere.

Back