• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2021 transfer window

It was how he said it, with a snarl and dismissive nature. When Carragher pointed out that it was the squad Nuno left (and that he failed with) his face went darker and you could see the bitterness oozing out of him.

I guess with Jonny crocked we'll probably hang on to Vinagre, Marcal is unreliable and we don't have any other left backs.

Our FBs would be Semedo, RAN (if we sign him), Marcal (perma crocked) and Hoever.

Vinagre is being pretty heavily linked with Benfica. Might signal that Grimaldo is on his way out which I'd be all over even with his recent injuries.

A while ago I suggested we need to sign a starting CH plus an up and coming prospect as cover on the basis that if we go to four at the back as one injury, suspension or the ACN will necessitate having to play one of Saiss, Coady and Kilman, none of whom are up to the job. The alternative would be reverting to 5 at the back. A lot of people were adamant we only need on new CH. Seems last night's horror show has convinced a few more.

Id trust Coady or Saiss to come in alongside a solid CB if Boly got injured. Same as when VVD comes in at Liverpool and Matip/Gomez/Lovren are fine but when you played them together - useless.

In an idea world we sign a younger, cheaper James Tarkowski with a Fofana type to come in as well. Think that’s asking too much of our recruitment and would likely mean other areas are neglected.

Depends how ready they think Sanderson/Marques/Lonwijk/Richards are to fill the latter role.

I think we could do worse than play Hoever at centre half if we're in a pinch. I'd rather see him than Kilman for sure.
If any one of these is considered good enough to play a handful of games I'd be tempted to cash in on Coady and Kilman if it enabled us to bring in a young player with a higher ceiling. That would leave Boly, a new starting CH, Saiss plus someone like Souttar from Stoke who is very highly regarded. As fifth choice one of those mentioned above should be adequate. We would also have Donk if we get a crisis like we did at LB this season but in all likelihood he could focus on a midfield role.

So with transfer embargos rife in the championship, are there any players apart from Ivan Toney worth looking at?

Any father and sons who have both played for Wolves first team? I can think of those that have had kids in the Academy and sons who have played for their fathers, but not both in a proper match, there must be some though
Dickie Baugh and Dickie Baugh JR very early on

Neville wasn't talking about Wolves just England. His point was if you are playing against a top right winger and your left back goes down you don't want to be replacing them with a player who can do a job as that won't be good enough, so you don't use Saka or a Tripper as your fall back option you take both Shaw and Chilwell.

Then he put Dier in his squad which contradicted what he was saying as he'd be 4th choice centre half and centre mid. His 8 defenders were TAA, Walker, Stones, Maguire, Mings, Chilwell, Shaw and Dier. Carragher had 9, no Dier, but Coady and James in
9 Defenders?! 😂😂

Nevs picked some right shite there.

You want a mixture of cover and game changers on the bench for a 7 game tournament, not 'steady' players who won't get a game. We're fortunate as Saka is more than able back up to Shaw but is also a game changer.

I have posted on another thread regarding the rumour of Neto , Traore and Neves leaving in the summer. In an ideal world you want to keep your best players . I think Neto will go. Probably Manchester bound. If it is United we may be able to get someone as part exchange, but I have no clue who I would want.
Neves has done his time here and if he wants to go we would make a good sum on him. His pace , or lack of it , causes us issues defensively. Traore is an enigma and selling him solves the problem of shoe horning him into a system that doesn't really suit him.

Could this summer be the time for the major rebuild? £125m for those three would certainly help that an enable us to buy players suited to a 4 at the back system.

Rui
Hoever Coady Boly Semedo
Dendonker
New Vitinha Podence
Raul Fabio

Subs
Saiss
New CF/ Mir?
Moutinho
MGW
RAN
Sondergaard
Otasowie
New CH

Its certainly a different look and it does not look as strong on paper. It may give us a season to forge an identity that suits the players we have then in the squad.

Only musings.

I have posted on another thread regarding the rumour of Neto , Traore and Neves leaving in the summer. In an ideal world you want to keep your best players . I think Neto will go. Probably Manchester bound. If it is United we may be able to get someone as part exchange, but I have no clue who I would want.
Neves has done his time here and if he wants to go we would make a good sum on him. His pace , or lack of it , causes us issues defensively. Traore is an enigma and selling him solves the problem of shoe horning him into a system that doesn't really suit him.

Could this summer be the time for the major rebuild? £125m for those three would certainly help that an enable us to buy players suited to a 4 at the back system.

Rui
Hoever Coady Boly Semedo
Dendonker
New Vitinha Podence
Raul Fabio

Subs
Saiss
New CF/ Mir?
Moutinho
MGW
RAN
Sondergaard
Otasowie
New CH

Its certainly a different look and it does not look as strong on paper. It may give us a season to forge an identity that suits the players we have then in the squad.

Only musings.
Unfortunately selling your best players never ends well in the medium to long term.

I know you have articulated it much better but you regularly see people advocating things like "sell Neves for £50m and you can get 2 quality players for £25m" - very rarely works out as any transfer is a risk and even if it does it sends out the message that your best players are there for the picking, so you get the same happening again and again and by the law of averages at some point the players you sign won't work and you get sucked into trouble.

The players mentioned will go at some point no doubt but it won't be something I'll be pleased about no matter what the fee is as I'd rather just hang on to the likes of Neto and Neves for as long as it's possible for us to do so.

Leicester have done it regularly and managed to keep improving their team and squad.

I don’t think Neto goes this summer. Be very disappointed if he did.

Same, I'd be sad to lose Adama & Neves but both are probably near (or past in one case) their peak fees. Neto would be worth double in a years time.

I think Adama will go, mainly as he seems to want more of a contract than we'll give him. I won't really miss him as his good moments (and when they're good, they're really good) aren't frequent enough.

I don't think Neto or Neves will go.

As I say, Castles chats a load of shit. He knows nothing.

It's on the other thread, but if Neves got a move to a big CL club and we got Jota type money for him, I'd be disappointed but wish him well

Yeah Neves is the one I would be worried about leaving due to his age and the position he plays. Think its too early for Neto, still very young and for the big clubs to stump up the cash we'd want, they would want to have a longer look at him. Traore if we get decent money, I'd be ok with him going but also happy if he stays.

Rui
Hoever Coady Boly Semedo
Dendonker
New Vitinha Podence
Raul Fabio

Subs
Saiss
New CF/ Mir?
Moutinho
MGW
RAN
Sondergaard
Otasowie
New CH

Only musings.
That team is horrible. And, the way we’re playing now, would probably see us relegated.

Luckily, I’d hope it wouldn’t happen.

Neto will give us at least another season - the big clubs aren’t stupid - we’d want £50m and no one would give us close to that. Also, Neto has been largely poor recently.

Again, we’d want a minimum of £30m for Neves and no one will give us that in the current financial market.

Remember, every time we say a player “will go” we have to ask who to and who will pay the money.

We are a bottom half team. Our players are not as desirable to others, as they are to us.

That team is horrible. And, the way we’re playing now, would probably see us relegated.

Luckily, I’d hope it wouldn’t happen.

Neto will give us at least another season - the big clubs aren’t stupid - we’d want £50m and no one would give us close to that. Also, Neto has been largely poor recently.

Again, we’d want a minimum of £30m for Neves and no one will give us that in the current financial market.

Remember, every time we say a player “will go” we have to ask who to and who will pay the money.

We are a bottom half team. Our players are not as desirable to others, as they are to us.
If Mendes can’t get more than £30m for Neves he needs his bumps felt.

Back