• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2021 transfer window

So... a £200 million budget for us this window then? We're buying the lot apparently.

Rui walks away for free next year too. He’s not even remotely irreplaceable so makes sense.

Lets hope Lage is a smooth talking bastard and serenades Ruben and Adama to a new contract..

Wolves are reportedly ready to demand a minimum £40 million for Ruben Neves, who is being targeted by Arsenal. It's said that Neves is open to the prospect of leaving Wolves this summer. [source: John Percy / Telegraph]

So we sell our keeper at a loss, then sign one who's worse for more money.

I fail to see how this is a good deal.

So we sell our keeper at a loss, then sign one who's worse for more money.

I fail to see how this is a good deal.
It’s not really a loss. As TT said 3 years service. When you sign older players you go two ways. Let them go for free or sell at less than you paid.

Is £12m in the bank better than Rui for one season and then leaving on a free. Absolutely IMO.

In what world do you recoup £18m + for a 33 year old ?
Well you don't sell him in the first place and sign someone who isn't as good.

If we were that bothered about that aspect then we shouldn't have signed him. As we did then he should ideally be our keeper until he finishes.

It’s not really a loss. As TT said 3 years service. When you sign older players you go two ways. Let them go for free or sell at less than you paid.

Is £12m in the bank better than Rui for one season and then leaving on a free. Absolutely IMO.
Ask Sheffield United how downgrading your keeper goes.

I'd say ask another club how voluntarily massively downgrading your manager goes but there aren't any.

Not really sure who Sa is but already not a fan of this rumour, I'd be looking to get Rui a new contract, not sell him at 33 when he potentially has a minimum 3 good years left.

Rui was a bottom 6 PL keeper last season after being a top 6 one the year before. As discussed previously if that's the sign of a decline at the age of 33 then he shouldn't be too hard to at least get someone to match that. If it was a down season then we probably are downgrading. A bit like Nuno it looks we are betting on the under

I don't have an opinion on Sa, other than his agent is who you'd expect it to be, so could be credible, equally it could just be lazy journalism.

£40m for Neves is starting to approach Jota money, if we get there I can see it being likely, although Arsenal still doesn't feel right from the players perspective, perhaps we're using them to smoke someone else out? Seems too much noise on both sales for there not to be something in them. Difficult for us as fans to look at a transfer fee and say that looks good, bad or indifferent without knowing the size of a certain someone's drink out of the deal though.

Last edited:
Ask Sheffield United how downgrading your keeper goes.

I'd say ask another club how voluntarily massively downgrading your manager goes but there aren't any.
The downgrade bit is up for debate. Basically what TT says. I’m sure Sheff Utd would rather tell me how spending over £100m on dross goes in an already dreadful squad rather than downgrading a GK, where they had no choice as they didn’t own the previous one.

But ignoring all that, as it’s broadly irrelevant to the discussion. The bottom line is - £12m in the bank or Rui for a season. Where you will end up having to sign a GK anyway.

Not really sure who Sa is but already not a fan of this rumour, I'd be looking to get Rui a new contract, not sell him at 33 when he potentially has a minimum 3 good years left.
And if he won’t or has stated he isn’t signing one?

Don’t know much about Sa (am I allowed to say that?) other than seeing him last season. Is he better with his feet than Rui? Would be good to have a keeper more comfortable with the ball.

Rui Moutinho and Neves are also our top earners aren't they? Traore has still to sign his new deal? So if all 4 leave and Jordao , Vinagre and Mir also go as rumoured we can look at quite a rebuild for the new manager. Rui Patricio , Moutinho and Traore were all significantly poorer in performance last season than the previous and Ruben was a mixed bag. Could not hit the target most times yet managed to score in the box with a header! Fingers crossed they get the recruitment right. I am sure there will be at least one 30+ coming in if Moutinho goes just to give that experience. Only time will tell. At the moment , I have to say it quietly , but I am cautiously optimistic. If you're going to have a shake down do it properly!

The downgrade bit is up for debate. Basically what TT says. I’m sure Sheff Utd would rather tell me how spending over £100m on dross goes in an already dreadful squad rather than downgrading a GK, where they had no choice as they didn’t own the previous one.

But ignoring all that, as it’s broadly irrelevant to the discussion. The bottom line is - £12m in the bank or Rui for a season. Where you will end up having to sign a GK anyway.

And if he won’t or has stated he isn’t signing one?

Zero to indicate that though, that's pure speculation to fit the point. If he isn't signing a new deal and he is a better keeper than Sa, then analytics move would be to keep him and have a better keeper rather than 12million that is instantly used on a downgrade.

The Sheff Utd point, Ramsdale was already the worst keeper in the prem the previous season and a large factor in why Bournemouth went on such a poor run. Having a weak keeper is a death blow. Villa arguably outperformed this season due to Martinez early season form, LFC finally won the league on the back of a significant keeper upgrade, keepers are vital, I also disagree with the idea Rui was bottom 6, purely because he had more good games or great saves than a lot of the other keepers who maybe made less mistakes. So confident that the no1 for Portugal and arugubly the best keeper outside the elite is still in there.

Unless they are very confident this Sa guy is better then this is a worry.

Back