• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2021 transfer window

I think he played less than half because he only came in on loan in January if memory serves me correctly. Didn't see him play myself but heard Albion improved alot after he came into the side and they wouldn't have been relegated on their form with him in the side.
What's funny about that?

What a signing he would be. Things in our favour are he worked with Bruno at Benfica, and really likes the guy. Uncle Jorge is his agent. He's Portuguese.
Things against him are his fee would be big, and his wage demands even bigger. Would be perfect for our midfield..
OK, the pink elephant just flew past... 🤣
Tbf, I don't think Bruno Lage worked at Benfica when Bernardo left to Monaco. That was years before Bruno arrived, iirc. But I might be confused.

What's funny about that?
Read it back.

You haven't watched him play but Albion wouldn't have been relegated if he'd been there all season.

You must know how daft that reads?

For those pontificating on Donk's perceived weakness with the ball, Yokoslu makes Donk look like prime Pirlo.

Read it back.

You haven't watched him play but Albion wouldn't have been relegated if he'd been there all season.

For those pontificating on Donk's perceived weakness with the ball, Yokoslu makes Donk look like prime Pirlo.
That's true, but Donk doesn't even recover particularly well either. It's like he impacts nothing (other than my frustration levels) when the balls anywhere near him. He can track a runner, and make a run, but other than athleticism and token height, he achieves nothing

Read it back.

You read it back.......

I think he played less than half because he only came in on loan in January if memory serves me correctly. Didn't see him play myself but heard Albion improved alot after he came into the side and they wouldn't have been relegated on their form with him in the side.

Jesus Christ man.

Read it back.

Nonsense. He's a very good player. I watched him a lot and he was their best player by a country mile (admittedly not saying much!)

Tbf, I don't think Bruno Lage worked at Benfica when Bernardo left to Monaco. That was years before Bruno arrived, iirc. But I might be confused.
Pretty sure Bernado Silva bigged Bruno up as one of his influences in his earlier years. I may be talking bollocks though..

I think I read somewhere he coached him in the youth set up and had a big influence on him mate. Cancelo aswell apparently.

He started 15 games for Albion, they got 14 points in them (also came on as sub at Spurs for 12 minutes when they were already losing, we'll ignore that one). 0.93 PPG which is 35 or so over a season. Wouldn't have been enough as Burnley finished 17th on 39, in fact most years that's putting you in serious danger.

However you can't really judge anything on those raw numbers, otherwise Matt Hill would have won the Ballon D'Or in 2009. Also Allardyce pretty much gave up after a bit, the fat bastard.

He looked alright in the games I saw, my scepticism at the moment would be that I think we need someone who is a lot more mobile in that role as we can't teach Ruben how to run any quicker and we don't have anyone else who can come into the team and provide dynamism in that position.

It's not a glamorous signing but it's a cheap squad player who plays in an unglamorous position. I don't want us spending £20m+ in that area unless they're a potential worldie or an established star who we're getting cheaper because of Mendes/age/contract/whatever. Spend it on a centre half, we need one of those.

That's true, but Donk doesn't even recover particularly well either. It's like he impacts nothing (other than my frustration levels) when the balls anywhere near him. He can track a runner, and make a run, but other than athleticism and token height, he achieves nothing
Oh I agree Donk can do much better, he's shown as much and he has been frustratingly poor this last 12 months.

He's miles better than Yokoslu as it stands.

You read it back.......

Jesus Christ man.
How can you have an opinion on a player you haven't seen?

Unless you're blind in which case I apologise.

I think I read somewhere he coached him in the youth set up and had a big influence on him mate. Cancelo aswell apparently.
Yes, this from the Athletic. It was Cancelo not Silva who called him a father figure.
"Lage’s amiable and driven personality saw him thrive at Benfica’s academy, working first at school level then up through the age groups, winning two national titles and two district championships along the way with players like Ruben Dias, Bernardo Silva, Joao Cancelo and two names very familiar to Wolves supporters; Helder Costa and Ivan Cavaleiro. He was a mentor to them all. Cancelo calls Lage one of his biggest influences and compares him to a father figure."

Nonsense. He's a very good player. I watched him a lot and he was their best player by a country mile (admittedly not saying much!)
Well it isn't nonsense, it's just a different opinion.

I can go on my eyes and see he was bang average to awful the times I've seen him or the stats which are equally as damning.

You obviously saw something different. What did he do well in your opinion?

Last edited:
On Yokoslu, I can't figure out why anyone sees value in judging a central midfielder in a Sam Alladyce team. Don't they get about 3 touches a season?

Back