• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2021 transfer window

Euros rather than Pounds though unfortunately, still, 10.5million profit on a player that played 2 games for us isn't bad going.

It's crazy how much we struggled up front last season whilst owning this player.

Euros rather than Pounds though unfortunately, still, 10.5million profit on a player that played 2 games for us isn't bad going.

It's crazy how much we struggled up front last season whilst owning this player.
Yes, my mistake, euros. As we saw with DW's favourite last season being good in the Spanish league doesn't equal being good in the PL. This scenario is certainly best for everyone imo.

He'll wind up being another Gonclaves 'one that got away' type, I can feel it
From our angle do we cross our fingers and hope he replicates his good form from last season but in a Division above one he struggled in (in terms of his Forest time, he was a Leon Clarke/Willian Jose hybrid) or cash in at the point that his value is highest. Also chuck in from January he could sign a pre contract and bugger off for £0.

Right call from us to take the €15m. If it bites us on the arse then we just do a Chelsea and re-sign him for an obscene amount of money in a few years time...

Nah, I don't think he's a PL player at all. Take the money and run.

Goncalves is a bit different, had literally zero first team football behind him when he left, and Sporting have played him in a totally different position to where he was used here. I watched plenty of 23s games that season, not a chance you'd have picked him out as a future star. He looked alright, no more, no less.

Mir however is too cumbersome to succeed over here. Plus you're never ever going to partner him with Raul, that would never work.

Doesn’t want to be here so I would agree that we take the money. Good luck to him .

I'm not sure we will. We're backing Fabio, that seems abundantly clear. I don't see us shunting him down to third choice in a system where we primarily play one central striker (I think Lage has put 4-4-2 back in the box for quite some time, we just can't play it).

If the club know for sure that he 100% won't sign a new deal under any circumstances then it's the right move regardless, as we'd have been guaranteed to get £0 for him.

Not really, he had zero interest or investment in being here, so even if he's the leading scorer in La Liga next year there's not really a criticism to levy unless you want to dig out Nuno for not playing someone who at the time.was way out of his depth

Well it isn't nonsense, it's just a different opinion.

I can go on my eyes and see he was bang average to awful the times I've seen him or the stats which are equally as damning.

You obviously saw something different. What did he do well in your opinion?
Fair point. From what I saw, he carried the ball surprisingly well, passed well and always seemed to be in the right place.

He was playing alongside someone like Livermore though, so I would probably have looked alright!

Can't believe how Mir has managed to resurrect his career so well.

It's a shame that he only has 12 months left as this effectively forces us into a selling position. Can't keep him, unfortunately, when he could leave for free in 12 months.

Fair play to him for turning it all round

Mir is the Spanish Sam Vokes.

There's obviously some player there, just not sure it was with us.

Goncavles has gone on to a decent career, saw a couple of U23 games and he looked OK but you'd never have said he was a future star. That's one of the risks you make, and it happens to all teams. Look at Lukaka at Chelsea or Pogba at United, it has to be right time right player for youth players

Yes, this from the Athletic. It was Cancelo not Silva who called him a father figure.
"Lage’s amiable and driven personality saw him thrive at Benfica’s academy, working first at school level then up through the age groups, winning two national titles and two district championships along the way with players like Ruben Dias, Bernardo Silva, Joao Cancelo and two names very familiar to Wolves supporters; Helder Costa and Ivan Cavaleiro. He was a mentor to them all. Cancelo calls Lage one of his biggest influences and compares him to a father figure."
I think I read somewhere he coached him in the youth set up and had a big influence on him mate. Cancelo aswell apparently.

Ah, fair enough. Didn't check before statement so I stand well corrected! Cheers

Not when he's in the last 12 months of his deal and isn't willing to sign a new one. It's decent business.
yeah, we should have acted much earlier

Back