• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2022 Transfer Window

This was the whole story with Dias.

We knew he was good, he was Portuguese, we knew he was worth the £50m……but we didn’t buy him……for whatever reason.

That season, if we’d have paid the money, Dias would have been our player.

Exactly the same now.

Sorry guys, absolutely no way can I see us parting with over £40m for a defender.

Just not happening.
This is my feeling, unfortunately, but I hope they prove us wrong! Nunes is a midfielder though btw

We knew he was good, he was Portuguese, we knew he was worth the £50m……but we didn’t buy him……for whatever reason.

Exactly the same now.

Sorry guys, absolutely no way can I see us parting with over £40m for a defender.

Just not happening.

Nunes is a midfielder?

Everton supposed to be all over Nunes if Kenyon can push the takeover through

Soooo

The sell to buy only applies to who replaces Neves . Palhinha identified as 1st choice should Rubes go. At risk at missing out on that one.
Got cash to spend now in other areas though - The mobile midfielder, Nunes seemingly No1 target - Can chuck £40-£45m at that one without selling

Plus we need a quick, Premier League ready centre back who probably won’t come cheap either..

Exactly the same now.

Just not happening.
It was very clear the reason why Dias never happened....they wanted his release clause in 1 payment.
I know FFP is often batted away on here but at that point, we simply couldn't do 1 payment of around £60m. So that one died. From the reports we were happy to pay the price but it had to be installments and they wouldn't budge, not even with Jorge leaning on them.

Don't forget we also once put a £50m bid for Cancello......then some so called top club from Italy got involved and we lost that one. (at this point maybe we are used a little by Jorge to get interest in his top level players).

We have also potentially spent £37m on a defender in Semedo. The figures for Nunes are ones we can afford it now just boils down to whether we have a chance or if we are being used to get a bigger club out to make a move. A bit like Diaz with Liverpool. They were going to wait until this Summer to buy him but Spurs moved in January so Liverpool made their move early.

Everytime there is a report on Palhinha his fee gets lower. By the time Flum sign him Sporting will be handing over £5m to them

Getting a STRONG sense of Sanches and Botman off the Nunes reports.

We're linked with sending £40 million on an exciting new midfielder on the day that our previous main target looks like he's going elsewhere? Fancy that.

It was very clear the reason why Dias never happened....they wanted his release clause in 1 payment.
I know FFP is often batted away on here but at that point, we simply couldn't do 1 payment of around £60m. So that one died. From the reports we were happy to pay the price but it had to be installments and they wouldn't budge, not even with Jorge leaning on them.

Don't forget we also once put a £50m bid for Cancello......then some so called top club from Italy got involved and we lost that one. (at this point maybe we are used a little by Jorge to get interest in his top level players).

We have also potentially spent £37m on a defender in Semedo. The figures for Nunes are ones we can afford it now just boils down to whether we have a chance or if we are being used to get a bigger club out to make a move. A bit like Diaz with Liverpool. They were going to wait until this Summer to buy him but Spurs moved in January so Liverpool made their move early.
We might not have been able to afford to do 1 payment of £60m but that doesn't have anything to do with FFP does it? Think they are separate issues.

If they'd paid £60m for Dias in one go and put him on a 6 year deal it still only counts as £10m a season on the books.

We might not have been able to afford to do 1 payment of £60m but that doesn't have anything to do with FFP does it? Think they are separate issues.

If they'd paid £60m for Dias in one go and put him on a 6 year deal it still only counts as £10m a season on the books.
I'm not fully up on it but from the time when you do a buy out clause it works differently apparently and is classed as 1 payment up front and not spread across (obviously my info is gained from what journalists were saying at the time, so if am wrong its their fault...)

Edit: PSG for example when they signed Neymar they had to give him the money so he could buy out his contract. So the money they paid to Neymar was not technically a transfer fee, so one hit on the books. They did try to claim the money wasn't from the club and he did work in Qatar for 3 days and got paid £260m or whatever it was. No idea if UEFA let that ride. I mean we could have sent Dias to work in the Shanghai Club shop for a weekend and tried our luck..
Counter my own argument with - No idea if the Portugese rules on buy out clauses is the same as Spain

Last edited:
Seems to be a fair amount of wishful thinking this morning. I hope you are correct.
I don't doubt we have made the move and made the offer and we want the player.

I will be amazed if we get it over the line because a bigger team will team decide to make a move earlier than they planned.

I don't doubt we have made the move and made the offer and we want the player.

I will be amazed if we get it over the line because a bigger team will team decide to make a move earlier than they planned.
I do at least with the intention of actually signing him. I saw this film last Summer.

I'm not fully up on it but from the time when you do a buy out clause it works differently apparently and is classed as 1 payment up front and not spread across (obviously my info is gained from what journalists were saying at the time, so if am wrong its their fault...)

I think that Deano would be correct on this one from an FFP perspective. As for the buy out clause, I would imagine the payment terms are whatever can be agreed between the 2 parties. If it is written as a cash up front buy out clause then you'll just have to pay it if there are other interested parties.

I think that Deano would be correct on this one from an FFP perspective. As for the buy out clause, I would imagine the payment terms are whatever can be agreed between the 2 parties. If it is written as a cash up front buy out clause then you'll just have to pay it if there are other interested parties.
See my edit. Depends what the rules are in Portugal. If the same as Spain we wouldn't be able to do so.

Going over old ground though, I am probably making the same flimsy argument I made back then.

Done deal

FVcLH-bWIAA-QfK

Credit to @BangBan43304541

Absolutely no chance Nunes comes here. Love that we’re supposedly offering 5m less than they want just to make sure though.

Why not? Who realistically that is willing to pay that money is going to be a better fit for the player? The talk of City and Liverpool is premature, he’s an excellent footballer but still not quite that level yet. Are you suggesting Everton are more likely?

Surely Everton can't afford to buy him with their FFP status

Back