• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2022 Transfer Window

I suppose the big question, which has undoubtedly already been raised on this thread, is formation - are we going to stick to 3/5, move to a 4, or try to cover both options?

By the sound of it Bruno wants to be able to go with both. That means signing a new centre back surely. I don't think Botman (not that he's in our reach anymore) fits the profile with Kilman's progress this season. So I think a quick, dominant centre back to go next to him would be my thinking.

I just can't see us signing a CB (every other window I've said we would and we haven't, so wtf do I know), we have:

Boly
Coady
Kilman
Saiss (maybe)
Toti
Mosquera
Sanderson
Marques (maybe)

We'd need at least three of those to leave - which is likely, but unrealistic perhaps.

I don't think Boly, Saiss, Marques or Sanderson will be in our squad next season

I just can't see us signing a CB (every other window I've said we would and we haven't, so wtf do I know), we have:

Boly
Coady
Kilman
Saiss (maybe)
Toti
Mosquera
Sanderson
Marques (maybe)

We'd need at least three of those to leave - which is likely, but unrealistic perhaps.
Lots of question marks attached to this group - will Boly get fully back to his best? Coady in a 4? Was Kilman’s blip temporary? Is Saiss a level below what we need to progress? Toti & Mosquera - when will they realistically be first-team ready? Sanderson - a good Championship player at best? Marques - not a Scooby!

Still leaves us with 4 and Donk to cover if needed..

Lots of question marks attached to this group - will Boly get fully back to his best? Coady in a 4? Was Kilman’s blip temporary? Is Saiss a level below what we need to progress? Toti & Mosquera - when will they realistically be first-team ready? Sanderson - a good Championship player at best? Marques - not a Scooby!
It was more to the point that I don't think we will play 4 as we have loads of CBs who can't really play it.

It was more to the point that I don't think we will play 4 as we have loads of CBs who can't really play it.
Sure, and that was the essence of my earlier post - are we going to let the players drive the formation, or vice versa?

A back four CB should be easier to find than a 3 ATB CB.

In a four I think it's more important they're a defender rather than being a defender and a ball player. Obviously you want both, but being a good defender is the most important thing.

I get that it seems to be the main concern for many, but do we really believe we are likely to lose BOTH of Neves and Moutinho? The wish may be the father of the thought, but I can't help but feel that is too significant an overhaul, and whilst we are likely to lose one, my gut tells me losing both is too big a risk and therefore we won't?

No I don't think we'll lose either personally, but Donk as a CB makes me scromit.

Mark is just stirring too I'm sure.

I don't think either will be here next season. Moutinho is too expensive and Neves too marketable.

I don't think Boly, Saiss, Marques or Sanderson will be in our squad next season
With 5 subs next year, I think we'd benefit from at least a couple of these on the bench to match the strength in depth of various oppositions

You are probably only bringing a centre half on for injury though, just as with 3 subs.
Sanderson has been dropped by QPR, he'd be better off staying in the Championship, be it on loan or by sale. Marques looks a long way off from reports, he's probably maxed out at U23 level so needs a loan where he will play, bit of a wasted season for him this year.
Mosquera, Gomes, Coady, Kilman +1 should be enough really even with 5 at the back. In an emergency you have Semedo, Jonny and Donck or someone from the Academy if we are still playing a 3. If it's a 2 then you've been bloody unlucky to have 4 centre halves out all at the same time

Yeah, the Sanderson loan to QPR looked good on paper at the time, but it's backfired. He couldn't get in to their starting 11 when he first arrived, then got a chance and was promptly sent off and hasn't been given a sniff since. He'd have been better off staying at Birmingham. Plus he'd have still been in the area so could have come back to join us at Compton whenever there was an opportunity (like the International break). I reckon he'll go back out to the Championship next season.

From what I have seen of Toti, I would be more than happy to see him feature more next season. It's also clear that Mosquera is part of the first team squad and will hopefully push on. Coady, Kilman, possibly Saiss (although I think he'll go), possibly Boly - I think we're good for numbers there. Especially if Bruno wants to move to a back 4.

Obviously if Saiss & Boly both go, we might bring another younger high potential CB in, but I can't see us making a marquee signing there.

Back