• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2022 Transfer Window

I'm not so sure, who would be in the market for players like Donk, Raul, Boly or Jonny? Their form has either been poor or seen them injured over the last 12-18 months.

It would also be a huge error to sell Coady in my view. Losing Ruben and Coady in one window would do irreparable damage to the spirit of the team and the club.

I'm not sure there's much option. When you don't replace your midfield or central defence for 4 years then you end up having to do it all at the same time. The real mismanagement isn't just the failure to recruit it's that the players who are being replaced aren't just losing their first 11 places they are leaving the club. If we'd done it when it should have been then you'd have got a couple of years out of the likes of Saiss as a squad player.

I think you can segment by who has to go and who might
Given - Saiss and Marcal for contract reasons. Boly, he can't play any more so either needs to go or not be involved
Probable Neves and Moutinho
Possible Raul, Coady, Jonny, Dendoncker, Podence

Realistically I can only see a couple of that last group going at the most. So as a guess based on this season we are going to lose about 7 of the squad 4/5 of those being starters 8 if you include Trincao

Last edited:
I'm not so sure, who would be in the market for players like Donk, Raul, Boly or Jonny? Their form has either been poor or seen them injured over the last 12-18 months.
Donck would be perfect for an Italian side, think we'd get £12-£15m
Raul is/was a goalscorer, someone would take the risk, but we'd have to compromise either by making it a loan, a small fee or subsidise his wages
Boly has a year left, plenty of teams in France would take him on loan to the end of his contract I'd have thought
Jonny is the one where there's not an obvious path given his salary and recent injuries

I think you can segment by who has to go and who might
Given - Saiss and Marcal for contract reasons. Boly, he can't play any more so either needs to go or not be involved
Probable Neves and Moutinho
Possible Raul, Coady, Jonny, Dendoncker, Podence

Realistically I can only see a couple of that last group going at the most. So as a guess based on this season we are going to lose about 7 of the squad 4/5 of those being starters 8 if you include Trincao
Fair guess, though I think Moutinho stays and another of the possible group goes.

Either way it suggests we need 7 players to have a similar squad size to this season plus 2-3 more players to have a sensible squad for a season.

That's going to be difficult to integrate and develop a team spirit over a short window, especially if Bruno has lost the faith of some of the team who will still be here.

Its even more complex if we also change the manager (which I think we should). It just all adds up to a tricky 22/23 season.

Ignoring quality, even adding Chiquinho, Toti etc in to the squad has proven what some fresh ideas & enthusiasm can do. I'm not too concerned about adding 6-7 new players to the group. They're all professionals and the new faces should add some much needed freshness to the ones that are still here.

Whether clownshoes Shi, "I'll give myself a pat on the back" Sellars & the rest of the recruitment team are capable of finding suitable replacements is another entirely different subject. We need more Sa/Chiquinho deals than Hwang/Adama to Barca, though, that's for sure. Plus a Manager in charge of them that is capable in setting them up to win games of football.

You'll probably also have the likes of Adama, MGW, Sanderson - maybe even Bolla etc coming back to beef out the numbers in the squad.

When has a massive rebuild where you replace most of your starters all in one go ever worked?

Even if there are a few examples there won't be many and I definitely don't think Wolves have got good enough people in recruitment to make a success of it.

Transitions do happen but with the costs and player power in modern football the appetite has to be there to force it through.

You look at Palace this season, would've been an easy option to retain some of those old boys a bit longer and try to scrape through but they've been brave. It's not been groundbreaking in terms of league position but as a team they're a very different prospect now.

Stoke previously had a much slower transition from Pulis, ended up with some costly dead ends along the way like Tuncay who just didn't fit the team at the point he signed. Swansea weren't always a footballing side but again they took a punt from a bad situation.

Closer to home, Wolves have seen it go either way. The failed Solbakken experiment, going balls deep with the bomb squad when Jackett arrived and then the quick turnaround under Nuno, albeit with a stacked deck that time.

It would also be a huge error to sell Coady in my view. Losing Ruben and Coady in one window would do irreparable damage to the spirit of the team and the club.

Judging by the recent phoned in performances, is there any spirit left to save?

Everyone knows we have to buy to sell, if you were buying a wolves player wouldn't you leave it as late as possible to buy knowing the longer the window goes on, the more desperate we'll get.

Maybe fosun will make some funds available

If you’re not supplying the striker, Roy Race, Steve Bull, jimmy Greaves in their prime aren’t going to score no matter how good they are

I’m almost at the point where I’d rather have Fabio as the main striker ahead of Raul next season (obviously the best option is to go and sign someone who’s going to score us 10-15 goals), such is the drop off in Raul’s performances.

But as Keef correctly stated above, we could sign Lewondowski and he wouldn’t score unless we change the way we play.

Worth keeping in mind that, even with no outgoings, we would need to expand the squad of senior pros by maybe 3 players simply to give our manager - whomever that person is - the flexibility to put out match day squads that provide him with 5 sensible sub options given the rule changes.

I have a lot of time for Pukki but not that much time.

It feels like it, but he has scored 11 goals this season, 5 more than our leading scorer.
Pretty much this. Eleven goals for a team that's rock bottom and only scored 23. So nearly half of the goals that Norwich City have scored have come through him.

I'm not saying he's a long term answer, but if we need someone for next season who would be realistically available should we need to replace a departing Jiminez, he would be in Fosun's price range. It would buy us time to continue to develop Silva and set up a longer term option.

Or to put it another way: He'd compare favourably to either Hwang, Cutrone, Campana or Bonatini.

It says a lot of how far backwards we've gone over the last couple of seasons that i'd be pleased with us signing a 32 year old Pukki.

Back