• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Advice Thread

Just a point on solar panels, maybe people already know. My lad has them, Friday morning, his babies bedroom was infested by bird mites. On investigation there were 4 pigeon nests under the panels, a common problem apparently. So if getting solar panels, it's worth getting mesh or similar around them to stop the birds getting in.

I know a guy who sells solar panel systems and he says when you install one, buy as many batteries as you can afford. Storage is the key. You can sell some back to the grid but they don't give you much (think he said around 9p per kW). The more you can store the less you use throughout the day at peak cost.

I know a guy who sells solar panel systems and he says when you install one, buy as many batteries as you can afford. Storage is the key. You can sell some back to the grid but they don't give you much (think he said around 9p per kW). The more you can store the less you use throughout the day at peak cost.
Octopus energy are paying way more than that. Some days they pay more than they charge. Tomorrow they'll be paying an average of just under 30p per kwh

Yes Bear, but the prices for batteries has risen astronomically, over 300% in 2.5 years! And it's possible you wont need them.
We were quoted at a 5kw battery costs €5,300. Fuck's sake!
It's a relatively simple calculation.
Take your last 12 months Electricity usage...
A decent PV panel will give around 400 watts,
So for us we used around 6,777 kw/hr last year (A bit too high actually! Need to reign that in....)
12 panels yield 4,800 kw/hr
You should aim for 60% from your panel over the year. (Apparently you won't ever get 100%)
12 panels €10,375
Inverter (because it comes off them as DC) €250
Diverter (To usage or storage battery) €690
BER Rating for house €300
Battery 5kw €5,300
Totalled €16,965
Less Govmnt grant €2,400
Pay €14,565.

Lower quality batteries will deteriorate of years, - longer to charge, actually hold less.
High quality batteries can come with a guarantee of 100% for 10 years, then it drops off...

The old hippies doing the off grid stuff used to use submarine batteries, for storage, guess they’re harder to get now there’s very few diesel electric subs out there.
Don’t Tesla do battery packs for houses?

Since I shaved off my beard a while ago I've struggled with shaving - finally settled on a razer, but need to find a good gel. What do people recommend? I had a beard for nearly 10 years so totally out of the loop.

I've always used Nivea shaving gel.

Thats what I used years ago - tried it again and it seemed a bit crap

I used to use gel but bought foam by mistake a couple of years ago and found I preferred it. Usually use Nivea, but got Gilette last time. It's cheaper, and I can't tell the difference apart from a different smell. What are you struggling with?

Thats what I used years ago - tried it again and it seemed a bit crap
Yes it seems to have gone a bit runny lately. No idea why.

Was thinking about trying the Aveeno stuff instead next time. I use their skin care stuff and it's fantastic.

Same as bear - its weirdly runny.

I haven't wet shaved since the pandemic kicked in.
I find it isn't the gel, it's about finding a good aftershave balm? I used to swear by the dove stuff, but I think they discontinued that. I struggled to find a good one for a few months, will try and check when I get home. I tend to go for the sensitive type gels and aftershave balms.

I haven't wet shaved since the pandemic kicked in.
I find it isn't the gel, it's about finding a good aftershave balm? I used to swear by the dove stuff, but I think they discontinued that. I struggled to find a good one for a few months, will try and check when I get home. I tend to go for the sensitive type gels and aftershave balms.
I use Nivea after shave balm.

Tried so many different combinations over the years and have settled on a couple of options.

For a ‘going out’ shave I always use Proraso creams, balm etc. It’s nicely packaged Italian stuff and the end result might be a bit psychological, but it does seem very nice all the same and has the feel good factor.

However, for a speedy 2 minute daily shave I’ve an odd little routine that works very well - have a very quick electric shave to get the worst off and then very carefully use a REALLY good quality disposable (Gillette Fusion 5) to just run over (dry) for a few seconds to get really really close. You get the best of both worlds as you don’t have to spend ages with the electric getting super close and you don’t have the faff of wet shaving, the disposables last ages because you’re just using them for a few seconds and of course you’re not tied to the sink so can multi-task too. You can throw on a bit of balm if you need to but those Fusions are the dogs‘ so you shouldn’t need to.

I suppose it depends on what you want to put into it time-wise and of course skin types etc play a big part, but the above seems to work and no harm giving it a go.

The Fusion 5 blade version just rips my neck to bits for some reason.

I have to stick with the Mach 3.

Christ. It’s all a lot of effort. Might just channel my inner-Nuno again.

The Fusion 5 blade version just rips my neck to bits for some reason.

I have to stick with the Mach 3.
Yeah, I think that’s why there‘s no single answer or short cut in finding what works best for you either. Tried a beard a couple of times but given up as couldn’t get past the prickly stage. Not sure if you ever get to the other side but always felt like you’d got a string of thorns stapled to your chin so bailed out early.

Pain in the arse this shaving malarkey though.

I use Philips one blade (dry) which is about as close to a proper shave as you can get without giving me any irritation at all which is why I don't wet shave any more as my skin sucks.

I use Bulldog moisturiser (original) after shave. Found this years ago as started getting a bit of dry skin on hands/face and never looked back. Zero stickiness. Also use their shower gel. Amazon love me

Back