• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Cricket Thread

Sam Cook currently with figures of 11-9-9-5 for Essex vs Notts. Seems odd that he doesn't ever seem to be on England's radar, especially for home games. He averages 19 in first class cricket.
I like good nicknames and think 'Little Chef' is up there. It's not quite 'Judy' [for Puncheon] levels of good but decent.

Only 1 positive result in round 1. A lot of that is to do with the weather, but Mark Robinson was very critical of using the Kookaburra ball in April

Only 1 positive result in round 1. A lot of that is to do with the weather, but Mark Robinson was very critical of using the Kookaburra ball in April
It's a total piece of shit in terms of equipment, I wish the ICC would regulate properly and make Southern Hemisphere teams use a proper ball. Makes for terrible cricket on the whole.

it’s absolutely laughable to think the hundred can be rated above the big bash.

Warks absolutely rattling along today against Durham (who have all of Potts, Boland and Carse playing, so a good standard attack).

224/0 (40.2 overs)

Yates 102* (118)
Davies 113* (126)

Yates finally gone for 191 off 205 balls. 344/1, with 30+ overs left we could conceivably hit 500 in a day here.

England Watch, Week Two, Day One

Essex 421/6 vs Kent

J Cox 67

M Parkinson 26-1-110-2

Hampshire 305/6 vs Lancashire

L Dawson 61*

Nottinghamshire 305/6 vs Worcestershire

H Hameed 11
B Duckett 9
J Clarke 105

Somerset 285 vs Surrey 42/0

T Banton 1
J Rew 3
C Overton 0
S Bashir 10*

G Atkinson 19-5-57-3
J Overton 13-3-45-0
D Lawrence 7-0-35-0

C Overton 4-0-15-0
S Bashir 4-2-8-0

Warwickshire 490/1 vs Durham

R Yates 191

M Potts 18-1-88-0
B Carse 13-0-95-0

Yorkshire 326 vs Gloucestershire 28/2

J Root 2
H Brook 26
M Fisher 20

M Fisher 5-3-5-1

Leicestershire 326/8 vs Sussex

T Haines 2-0-13-0
J Carson 16-5-40-1

Northamptonshire 311/3 vs Middlesex

J De Caires 20-1-79-1

Runs aplenty again. The Kookaburra experiment is so flawed, although ironically the players it's there to benefit have all failed today. Birmingham in April isn't comparable to Brisbane in November in any metric. Completely pointless

I'm quite happy for it to be flagged as a quite obviously awful piece of equipment that hopefully one day gets chucked, but it is spectacularly pointless.

There's no reason for Australia or whoever to be weirdly defensive about it - it's obviously just shit. Use a proper ball.

The gaps to fill are all in the bowling when it comes to July and we finally play a Test. Crawley, Duckett, Pope (shouldn't be but he is for now), Root, Brook and Stokes are all absolutely nailed on if fit. Bairstow or Foakes will keep almost certainly and they're both flawed in different ways.

So you're looking at who the spinner is - Leach one would presume if he gets back to fitness and is bowling anywhere near reasonably - then three seamers. Jimmy will probably be one then it's any two from Woakes, Wood, Tongue, Robinson, Potts, Cook or Atkinson, depending how they're shaping up. Hopefully they've forgotten about the dreadful hunchback Overton twins and I doubt Curran will play Test cricket again. Mahmood doesn't seem to be anywhere near fitness and we've already said Archer will be at best white ball only in 2024.

I know he actually retired a few months ago now but it's still going to be odd not having Broad around. 2007 was the last home summer he wasn't involved in Tests, 2005 was the last summer he played 0 England games.

Last edited:
The Dukes is universally hated here. Seen as doing far too much for far too long and unbalancing the contest between bat and ball on favour of the bowler.

They probably also think Broad and Jimmy have shared in the company though!

Back