• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Definitive TWF Wolves XI Thread (1970 - present)

I reckon there may be one of these players from the original post that may appear in some teams...

'If we could avoid comedy answers please, because it isn't that hilarious to put Matt Doherty, Frank Nouble and Darren Ferguson down.'

Definitely some new entries for me - and a massive conundrum in goal, though Matt might still get the nod as it doesn't feel right to replace a genuine Wolves hero with Rui (who is rapidly on his way to becoming a genuine Wolves hero) after just 8 games. Same for Moutinho.

I'd have to have Moutinho. He's easily the best outfield player I've ever seen play for Wolves.

He played for us past 1970 so Frank Munro would be a shoe in into the back 3 - would be more than comfortable in that scenario (either Coady or Bennett would have to give way as Boly is in there whatever)

John Richards would be fantastic in our 3-4-3.

Could hold the ball up and link play, had pace, good in the air and could finish... Absolute shoe-in for me

John Richards would be fantastic in our 3-4-3.

Could hold the ball up and link play, had pace, good in the air and could finish... Absolute shoe-in for me

Yes would pick him ahead of Jiminez at the moment as had greater skills in finishing off moves as well as being able to do the other stuff.

The rest from that time might struggle initially as we didn't play the current formation then - though probably Hibbitt & Parkin could have adjusted to do so

I'd imagine half of the team would be in danger with our current lot. I mean I like Tommo, but Tommo v Jonny isn't even close.
You have to keeper Tommo in, just because it winds Sniffer up so much

OK i'll bite!

If you could sub him on and then straight back off for penalties then he might have a use. Other than that the closest he should get to a greatest Wolves line up since 1970 is in the stands watching them.

OK i'll bite!

If you could sub him on and then straight back off for penalties then he might have a use. Other than that the closest he should get to a greatest Wolves line up since 1970 is in the stands watching them.

Love it !

Mentioned on the thread on Other Football, but going to run this again in the coming weeks if the interest is there. We have some new players to add to the mix...

The OP hasn't aged that well!
So much has changed, be interested to see the formation as 442 removes Coady and Doherty, but it's the one we've used way more than any other across the period

Yeah, not sure what to do with the formation. Might go 3-5-2 as it allows you to pick full backs as well as wingbacks if you want? And we did play it a fair bit in the 90s.

3-5-2 would be good. I can still get Andy Thompson in there :popcorn:

There's a very strong chance that it'd be very similar to our week-to-week team at the moment.

There'd obviously be a place for Bully, and Rae, Lescott and Murray would probably stick around, but apart from that?

The old boys will stick the 70s players in somewhere on their votes. They don't have the weight of numbers though.

Back