• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Definitive TWF Wolves XI Thread (1970 - present)

Imagine a prime Bully in the current side. Frightening.
I'm going to possibly get banned from the forum for this, but I'm not convinced Bully would be a good fit for the current side. He was all about scoring goals rather than creating as well. Dougan probably wouldn't fit either, and I'm not entirely sure about Richards, Gray or Goodman.

Keane probably would fit better - other than that I would suggest Freedman would be the best fit.

Keane would be perfect. Imagine him in the Bonatini role with Cav/Costa and Jota on either side.

Murray

Foley Richards Lescott Thompson

Costa Rae Cameron Sako

Bull Keane

Manager: McCarthy

VERSUS

Ruddy

Miranda Coady Boly

Doherty Saiss Neves Douglas

Cavaleiro Bonatini Jota

Manager: Nuno Espirito Santo​

Who would win?

Would be a damn close game I reckon.

If I was combining the side above into the current side would probably go

Murray

Richards Lescott Boly

Foley Rae Neves Douglas

Cavaleiro Keane Jota​

Only really tough decision would be Rae/Saiss to pair with Neves

Saiss is miles better than Rae.

The rest is exactly the way I'd go though.

Saiss is miles better than Rae.

I don't think so. Rae was dominating games for us in the way Romain does now, and scored miles more goals, and we didn't even have him at his peak (thanks McGhee)

I'm going to possibly get banned from the forum for this, but I'm not convinced Bully would be a good fit for the current side. He was all about scoring goals rather than creating as well. Dougan probably wouldn't fit either, and I'm not entirely sure about Richards, Gray or Goodman.

Keane probably would fit better - other than that I would suggest Freedman would be the best fit.

It did cross my mind as well to be fair but if you think back Bully did drop deep quite often, and while his first instinct was to hit the back of the net he did provide plenty for Mutch. His forward play naturally created fair amounts of space elsewhere as he always attracted defenders to him to try and stop him, that would be lethal in this side.

The one extra factor with comparing players from earlier & the current team is Nuno's vision & coaching which the current ones have had, but the earlier on's didn't

Throw that into the mix - it will affect the outcome

Am sure that a fair number of the players of old would be quite capable of taking new ideas on board & adapting

The one extra factor with comparing players from earlier & the current team is Nuno's vision & coaching which the current ones have had, but the earlier on's didn't

Throw that into the mix - it will affect the outcome

Am sure that a fair number of the players of old would be quite capable of taking new ideas on board & adapting

Excellent point

As many would know, I’m a big fan/supporter of the 70s team, but one of the things that I felt held them back was the manager (Bill McGarry).

Now with Nuno, I believe we may have our best manager since Stan Cullis (different style for a different time). The way he has transformed players (Doherty, Coady etc) into playing his system has been amazing, and given the debate between the current team and the team voted as the TWF Wolves XI is not a fair contest as the manager/coach is the key difference.

As some have noted on this forum, Nuno has been the signing of the season so far.

Well it's certainly made a mockery of Doherty being officially our 'worst ever right back'.

Not really, he's played one game (well, 75 minutes of one game) as a RB this season and he was atrocious :D

He can't play there, we no longer ask him to play there. Though it's not one you can pin on me regardless, I didn't vote for him...

Not really, he's played one game (well, 75 minutes of one game) as a RB this season and he was atrocious :D

He can't play there, we no longer ask him to play there. Though it's not one you can pin on me regardless, I didn't vote for him...

Like a chum line to a great white... :icon_lol:

You voted for him at left back didn't you?

I was all set to and then he "won" the RB slot, so I couldn't. Still haunted by that.

Well it's clearly galvanised him.

Might re-run this in the next international break. Suspect there may be a few new entries.

Now there's the question. Would enough of the old players fit into a 3-4-3? And you can only really put the new guys into that shape, because that's all they've ever played in (not that I think Boly would be incapable of playing in a back four, for instance).

I'd imagine half of the team would be in danger with our current lot. I mean I like Tommo, but Tommo v Jonny isn't even close.

I'd imagine half of the team would be in danger with our current lot. I mean I like Tommo, but Tommo v Jonny isn't even close.

I think you'd be pretty much picking all the players we have now with possibly Robbie Keane playing instead of Jimenez and maybe Richards instead of Bennett.

I'd be tempted by Steve Froggatt at LWB, but I didn't pick him at LB/LM in the first go. So I guess it opens it up for some if we do change the shape.

Back