• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Definitive TWF Wolves XI Thread (1970 - present)

That's us done then. Thanks to all who contributed! For the record the second choice XI came out as Stowell; Muscat, Curle, Munro, Parkin; Kightly, Henry, Hibbitt, Jarvis; Ebanks-Blake, Richards. I'll leave you to decide whether they'd give the winners a decent game.

A good side that would give the firsts a decent game!

Sincere thanks DW for all your work on this. Regarding the worst eleven, Alan Boswell is the one and only choice. A most pleasant person, but sadly he could not catch a cold let alone a football...

I guess those who are fortunate enough to remenber the 1970's won't be visiting that period when choosing the worst XI!

Sincere thanks DW for all your work on this. Regarding the worst eleven, Alan Boswell is the one and only choice. A most pleasant person, but sadly he could not catch a cold let alone a football...

Tony Lange for my era..

Great work again DW. Thanks for running.

The worst 11 could prove a lot tighter on a few positions I feel

I guess those who are fortunate enough to remenber the 1970's won't be visiting that period when choosing the worst XI!

Don't be so sure! We had some shite then too! Mick Kearns in goal! Awful! Steve Mardenbrough. Scored v Liverpool did fuck all else, Tommy Docherty as manager, no there is a 70 and 80 shit list that's up there!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it would be very unfair to pick anyone from the Docherty / Chapman eras. We were lobbing kids into the side from nowhere - non league one week, Wolves first team the next. Although there are candidates from that era that would probably make the side, I personally won't be picking them as I don't think it's a fair fight.

I think it would be very unfair to pick anyone from the Docherty / Chapman eras.

Chapman, yes. Docherty should be an automatic choice for anyone old enough though - think the incompetence of Saunders crossed with the smug arrogance of Hoddle.

Chapman, yes. Docherty should be an automatic choice for anyone old enough though - think the incompetence of Saunders crossed with the smug arrogance of Hoddle.
I meant the players not the managers - with the possible exception of Ray Hankin. Docherty vs Hoddle is a coin flip for me.

Don't be so sure! We had some $#@!e then too! Mick Kearns in goal! Awful! Steve Mardenbrough. Scored v Liverpool did $#@! all EPs, Tommy Docherty as manager, no there is a 70 and 80 $#@! list that's up there!

i think he also played a nice pass to clarkey to score our third away to albion in late '83. I remember that game as I had started a saturday job and when the results came out couldn't believe we'd won. I think it was our first win of the season and was on MOTD. worth checking if it's on YT for danny crainie's 2 beauts.

i think he also played a nice pass to clarkey to score our third away to albion in late '83. I remember that game as I had started a saturday job and when the results came out couldn't believe we'd won. I think it was our first win of the season and was on MOTD. worth checking if it's on YT for danny crainie's 2 beauts.

Just start from about 6m 30secs

Still early days of course...but who would be tempted now to stick Jota in their team somewhere if we re-ran this*?

Don't actually know where you'd put him mind given the formation is 4-4-2, probably left hand side but that's already a very crowded area where some excellent players missed out.

*I'm not re-running it now. Maybe in five years' time. We might get a different left back than Andy Thompson by then.

Jota would go into my team for sure, playing as the traditional number 10 off Bully

For me he's in a direct competition with Keane as the second striker behind Bully in a 4-4-2.

I don't remember Robbie Keane being this good when he was Jota's age.

Keane turned 20 just before the start of 2000/1, when he moved to Inter and then went on loan to Leeds where he scored at a rate of 1 in 2 for a top four PL team who made the CL semi-finals that year. First choice for his national team as well at that age (accepting that Mick era Ireland are not quite as good as current European champions Portugal who play Ronaldo up front). Diogo ain't quite there yet.

I would have Neves in mine already for definite.

There are quite a few of this team who could be in good time. Douglas/Vinagre, Jota, Boly..

Looking through my picks - 100% that fairly soon I'd have whoever wins the battle between Vinagre and Douglas to displace at least Naylor on my LB list. I might chuck Hen the Snake right now for Ruddy.

Colin Cameron won a spot in CM :icon_lol: I think Ruben Neves might beat him. Actually, wtf were you lot thinking?! Cameron?

Looking through my picks - 100% that fairly soon I'd have whoever wins the battle between Vinagre and Douglas to displace at least Naylor on my LB list. I might chuck Hen the Snake right now for Ruddy.

Colin Cameron won a spot in CM :icon_lol: I think Ruben Neves might beat him. Actually, wtf were you lot thinking?! Cameron?

Hardly a glistening list of centre-midfield alumni we have though is it?

Back