• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Definitive TWF Wolves XI Thread (1970 - present)

Freedman was OK, seem to remember him scoring a worldy once although I can't remember when or who against. I'm the anti-Deutsch when it comes to remembering Wolves stuff.

A lot of you youngsters will see some names cropping up from us old timers, names you won't really know, but there is a reason we hold players from the '70's in such high esteem.
From 1970 to about 1981 Wolves had a squad of players that grew old together but gave the fans a very decent amount to cheer about. In that time these were the "achievements" of that team...
1970; Texaco Cup Winners (An Anglo/Scottish/Irish competition)
1971; UEFA Cup Runners Up (Europa League to you kids)
1974 & 1980; League Cup Winners. Underdogs in both finals they beat an extremely talented Man City in '74 and Europeans Champions Nottm Forest in 1980
3 FA Cup Semi Finals in 1973, 1979 and 1981
4 Top 9 finishes in ten years 1970 to 1980 spoilt by one relegation in 1975/76 season. However the team stayed together and in Wolves Centenary year in 1977, won the 2nd Division.

So please forgive our misty eyes but these players were playing in the top flight for all but one season during this time and expect to see names like Palmer, Parkin, Munro, Bailey, Hibbitt, Wagstaff, Dougan and Richards :rock:

Beautifully put.

Freedman was OK, seem to remember him scoring a worldy once although I can't remember when or who against. I'm the anti-Deutsch when it comes to remembering Wolves stuff.

Swindon at home, we won 3-1. Freedmans goal was overshadowed by Paul Simpson lobbing one in from just inside their half, Swindon ended the game with 9 men too.

Foley
Ricketts
Iorfa

Kevin Foley
Kevin Muscat
Jamie Smith

Saving Thommo for LB. Foley in 08/09 was easily the best, most consistent full back I've seen here. I honestly thought he was going to be fine in the Premier League.

Jinky (no, not our Jinky..) used to put in some awesome crosses. I remember watching the 94/95 season review a few months back and a lot of goals came deep from the right flank.

Foley
Muscat
Palmer

Saving Thommo as a hockey style special team player who comes on to take penalties only. Bog standard lower Championship full back and to get into a Wolves best XI over the last 47 years? Sorry no!

No votes for Irwin. Maybe the penny has dropped that he was bang average for us :D

Dougie Freedman was quality btw.

No votes for Irwin. Maybe the penny has dropped that he was bang average for us :D

Dougie Freedman was quality btw.

There have been a few votes for Irwin.

Agree about Freedman.

There have been a few votes for Irwin.

Agree about Freedman.
So there have, scanned down and missed them. Not many though and he always used to get inked into people's teams in these kinds of threads (where it was just 'pick 11 players'). And it used to drive me insane.

If people are saving him for left back then that makes no sense as Naylor started 31/46 and 37/38 of our league games in the two seasons that Irwin was here, ergo he hardly ever played there for us.

I do remember being somewhat irked when we fucked Freedman off.

Kevin Foley
Geoff Palmer
Serge Romano

(just kidding - Denis Irwin really)

Swindon at home, we won 3-1. Freedmans goal was overshadowed by Paul Simpson lobbing one in from just inside their half, Swindon ended the game with 9 men too.

Nice one. I knew it was at home as I'd stopped going to away games for a while during that period.

Irwin is remembered fondly by us middle agers as we had see the success of the 70 s the promise of the early 80s quickly followed by nearly going out oif business, the emergence of the nearly men in the 90s and then Irwin was an integral part of that 2003 play off team. Never outstanding, always consistent but you keep exceptional memories. Promotion that year was an exceptional memory. Gary Pierce in the 74 final made me want to play in goal, Andy Grays winner, all great memories so those players do come on my list. There may have been better in the position but not at that time in that place. They helped create. What I think are the memories every football fan craves. So apologies if you didn't rate x or y. At the time I did so I picked them , not to be awkward or controversial but as a thank you for making me happy through my life.

Foley (by a mile tbh)
Thommo
Muscat - he could do a decent defensive job until he decided he wanted to be a psycho

Tough to leave Jamie Smith out.

Will never forgive Freedman for lying to me when I was younger. Saw him before a game and there were rumours of him leaving. Asked him if he was off and he said no, just rumours. 2 days later he signed for Forest. Don't lie to children!!!

Quality, I tells you. Tarred with the "his lazy" brush and by McGhee being a cockrot and falling out with him.

Fair enough, my mind must have been addled by all that expansive craft beer over the years. I just remember him being slower than Donald Trump's brain. But technically that first goal is great.

Back