• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Definitive TWF World XI thread (1986-present) - CENTRE FORWARD VOTING OPEN

Deutsch Wolf

aka Dawn
Reaction score
Inspired by the current discussion on the general football thread. Let's see what we can come up with.

The voting system is as follows; when we're picking for a position that only has one candidate (you only ever have one keeper, one right back etc), you get three picks to put in order - first choice gets three points, second choice two, third choice one. Once the voting for each position is done, I'll tot up all the points and the winner comes out in our own form of democracy. For centre halves, you get six picks as there'll be two of them. Same system, six points for pick one down to one point for pick six. It'll make sense in the end. Honest.

Time frame is let's say, Mexico 86 onwards. Slightly before my own time but that's inclusive enough for everyone. Obviously don't go voting for Franz Beckenbauer or whatever...

So, quite obviously we'll go with the keepers to kick off. Discussion welcome as we go on. I'm going to ponder my three picks now.

Deadline for keeper picks is Monday 8pm. Then I'll start right backs off on Tuesday morning once I've done the points, and so on and so on until we've filled the team out. Formation will be 4-3-3: it's probably the best way to fit it all in and match mainstream tactics over the specified timeframe. When it comes to the forwards, I'll split it into two wide forwards and one striker. Centre mid: one DM and two more attacking/all round ones. No cheating and putting Messi in midfield or whatever!

NB: I reserve the right to mock if you pick someone who shouldn't be anywhere near the team ;)

The team so far:

-------------------------Gianluigi Buffon-------------------------

Philipp Lahm------Franco Baresi--------Fabio Cannavaro---------Paolo Maldini

--------------------------Patrick Vieira------------------------------------

-----------------Andres Iniesta---------Zinedine Zidane-------------------------

---Cristiano Ronaldo---------Ronaldo------------------Lionel Messi----------------------

Manager: Jose Mourinho

Last edited:
Gianluigi Buffon
Iker Casillas
Manuel Neuer

The Definitive TWF World XI thread (1986-present)

Neville Southall
Peter Schmeichel
Peter Shilton

Every position is going to be tough to pick but I've gone:

Peter Schmeichel
Gianluigi Buffon
Edwin van der Sar

Gigi Buffon
Oliver Kahn
Manuel Neuer

Great idea. Tough already.

Kahn
Buffon
Neuer

Fantastic idea Deutsch. Bloody tough start though.

Gigi Buffon
Oliver Kahn
Peter Schmeichel

I've got my spreadsheet game on to keep track of all this. Serious business.

Gigi Buffon
Peter Schmeichel
Rinat Dasayev

Tough one, honourable mentions for Michel Preud'homme and Hans van Breukelen. Euro 88 was my first real tournament (I have some recollection of Mexico 86) so maybe some sepia moments. That Soviet Union team was pretty good, Dasayev my stand out memory (other than Protasov and Vasily Rats), the Dutch team was something special though.

Schmeichel
Buffon
Neuer

Walter Z just missed out ;)

Walter Z just missed out ;)

As much of a drunken letch of a buffoon that he is, he would legit get into discussion in here. Maybe his peak was a bit too narrow, he'd stopped playing for Italy by 1992. He didn't have a decade and more at the very top like the main contenders.

Anyone want to offer odds on which ropey African keeper Alan will pick? :D

He's too young for Thomas Nkono or Joseph-Antoine Bell.

Back