• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Definitive TWF World XI thread (1986-present) - CENTRE FORWARD VOTING OPEN

Agreed. Pretty much got us through the Cameroon game though.

In my memory as a 9 year old Shilton will always be Bully getting him out of jail after him getting lobbed (from 5 yards off his line, shame we didn't get the message) against Tunisia.

Shilts and Safe Hands both went on too long (not their fault the national managers kept picking them, mind). Quality keepers in their prime.

I watched the 1978 world cup dan, plus I had a massive Sepp Maier brochure sort of thing. It was probably adidas-related as I had the same for Bjorn Borg

You were (just about) 6 in 1978, no? Probably better to pick a keeper you've seen for his whole career rather than that? He was 34 in that tournament and Germany weren't even any good...(won one game all tournament, against what seems to be a terrible Mexico team)

I saw Frank Stapleton play at Molineux but I couldn't say I'd seen the best of him. I love watching videos of Cruyff but as I wasn't around...I can't be picking him.

I've gone 30 years or so because that way, most people on here will have seen everyone who gets nominated play (except sprogs like Louie maybe). You start going back to the 60s and 70s and you're excluding too many people. It's a bloody long time ago now. Plus that era gets stupidly romanticised.

I'm glad Southall has had a few more votes, I was started to think I had dreamt him being the best keeper in the World at one time.

Schmeichel (P)
Buffon
Kahn

I'm glad Southall has had a few more votes, I was started to think I had dreamt him being the best keeper in the World at one time.

He was one of the heaviest! Bloody huge at the end of his career. Great on his day though. I don't get the Buffon thing though. Great shot stopper ,but stays on his line too much. Schmiechel was the one on one king. Dasayev commanded his area well. Chilavert was nuts but was a great shot stopper, organiser and goalscorer hence why he gets my third place

He was one of the heaviest! Bloody huge at the end of his career. Great on his day though. I don't get the Buffon thing though. Great shot stopper ,but stays on his line too much. Schmiechel was the one on one king. Dasayev commanded his area well. Chilavert was nuts but was a great shot stopper, organiser and goalscorer hence why he gets my third place

Can't say as I've noticed that as being a particular weakness for him, though you could put Lonergan behind the current wealth of centre halves at Juve and he'd look pretty assured from crosses.

I the big thing with Buffon for me is how long he's maintained that level, it's been over 15 years since he moved to Juve for ridiculous money and he's still there at the very top, though he did look like he'd lost it at one of the international tournaments a little while back. For all the talk of people like Neuer and Bravo being good with the ball at their feet I think this is something Buffon is often overlooked for, Juventus play the ball out from the back as well as anyone and you're not going to be able to do that without a keeper if you're keeper isn't up to it. He always seems remarkably calm these days too, remember watching them a few weeks ago where something deflected off Bonucci leaving him stranded but it went just wide, just gave his centre half a cheeky little wink and got on with it, no stress.

Can't say as I've noticed that as being a particular weakness for him, though you could put Lonergan behind the current wealth of centre halves at Juve and he'd look pretty assured from crosses.

I the big thing with Buffon for me is how long he's maintained that level, it's been over 15 years since he moved to Juve for ridiculous money and he's still there at the very top, though he did look like he'd lost it at one of the international tournaments a little while back. For all the talk of people like Neuer and Bravo being good with the ball at their feet I think this is something Buffon is often overlooked for, Juventus play the ball out from the back as well as anyone and you're not going to be able to do that without a keeper if you're keeper isn't up to it. He always seems remarkably calm these days too, remember watching them a few weeks ago where something deflected off Bonucci leaving him stranded but it went just wide, just gave his centre half a cheeky little wink and got on with it, no stress.

Yeah he is a bit of a dude !

Back in 2001 everyone lost their shit about Juve spending that much money on a keeper. Ended up working out fine. Pound for pound one of the great signings. Same as Rio for United.

The top 3 looking somewhat predictable (but understandable) so far.

Great idea DW.

1 - Buffon
2 - Kahn
3 - Schmeichel

Can't believe I'm the only one to pick VDS so far! Amazing keeper.

Can't believe I'm the only one to pick VDS so far! Amazing keeper.

He was but i think playing for Fulham for so long might go against him. It still baffles me as to why he played for them at all never mind 4 years.

Neuer
Van Der Sar
Casillas

Schmeichel
Neuer
Southall

Big Nev would be number one if the period started a couple of years earlier, he was immense when Everton won the League in '85.

Back