• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The FIFA Debacle

Each invite would be proffered by a panel-within-a-panel, comprised of people who are morally beyond reproach.

Who picks the panel within the panel?

Probably get a better representative group if you choose 1 registered supporter of all league teams and allowed them 1 vote each without meeting each other or have freebies offered to them.

Platini voted for Holland in the first round for 2018 to ensure England were out, then when we were shifted his vote to Russia despite his "first" preference still being in. Hardly a shining beacon of virtue.

Platini voted for Holland in the first round for 2018 to ensure England were out, then when we were shifted his vote to Russia despite his "first" preference still being in. Hardly a shining beacon of virtue.

Not sure that that's a great analogy.

Pretty sure that if I asked him to top up my parking meter I might be inclined to check that he had rather than just pocketing the cash.

Sorry you've lost me. The point I was making was he voted tactically to ensure England were out of the process, then when we were moved his vote. Seems a fairly shoddy way to operate to me.

Apologies - missed the point you were making. Still - think both of us have a similar opinion of him

Platini can bite a fucking pylon.

The fact he is seen as a preferable alternative just shows what an unadulterated cunt Sepp is.

Well Platini wouldn't be my favoured leader of a breakaway UEFA, but i put him up there as he is currently in the chair.

The first step for me is governments to stop allowing the world cup to be a tax free bonanza for FIFA. At a time when everyone is struggling and compelled to pay tax, how can FIFA be allowed to waltz in and demand that a government, spends billions on creating a new infrastructure for a world cup tournament, (usually paid for by tax payers money) and then be allowed to operate tax free.

Sepp is running a private business with the approval of all, and subject, it seems, to no authority whatsoever.

A mere rumbling/veiled threat from UEFA should rock the boat enough to get the current Garcia report released in full, at the very least.

The first step for me is governments to stop allowing the world cup to be a tax free bonanza for FIFA. At a time when everyone is struggling and compelled to pay tax, how can FIFA be allowed to waltz in and demand that a government, spends billions on creating a new infrastructure for a world cup tournament, (usually paid for by tax payers money) and then be allowed to operate tax free.

Sepp is running a private business with the approval of all, and subject, it seems, to no authority whatsoever.

That is all correct, and I agree 100%. Bizarrely, FIFA is classed as an NGO and not a corporation, which it is really. Quite how they can demand law changes, tax exemption, and other concessions from nation states is beyond me. Expect worse to come.

I believe if the larger associations broke away from FIFA and/or UEFA and set up an alternative governing body, there's no way FIFA could possibly compete. If Brazil, Germany, France, England, Argentina, Spain etc etc decided they weren't going to participate in FIFA affliated tournaments, I can't imagine the big sponsors would be so keen to put their brand and their wedge into what was left - an Estonia v Honduras World Cup Final for example. They'd go where the big names are.

It'd be a huge and lengthy task to set up a breakaway governing body but unless FIFA find an ounce of morality from somewhere, I think it'd be the best option to secure the future of the game.

I would love it to happen, and I'd love the major associations in world football to stick two fingers up at Blatter and find an alternative.

It will all come to a head in 2022. I can see the FA refusing to recognise the tournament as it wasn't won fairly in their eyes, and refusing to shift the league season, while ordering clubs not to release their players regardless of nationality.

If that happened and the Germans followed suit the whole thing would collapse like a house of cards.

A bit of sour grapes going on. We tried to win by throwing bribes. We didn't win, because more money was thrown by other countries.
The system is corrupt. We were corrupt but lost, because others paid more. Strange how we only moan when we lose these votes.

A bit of sour grapes going on. We tried to win by throwing bribes. We didn't win, because more money was thrown by other countries.
The system is corrupt. We were corrupt but lost, because others paid more. Strange how we only moan when we lose these votes.

You couldn't have got that more wrong if you tried.

Back